Floorless Mid Shootout

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Josh

Did you have extra guyouts added? I spoke with them the other day and said they don’t offer that option anymore as it’s not needed. What’s your thoughts? If I order should I request it and see what they say?

Also for the stake loops. Just to make sure we are on the same page. I know they only have one loop on the outside. I was asking if it has a inner loop as well as the outter at the stake point like the guyout location? I would think the inner loop would be helpful for maybe adding the nest.

Thanks for the great review and taking time to answer questions. Member like yourself make forums a pleasure to be a part of.

texag10

WKR
FWIW, I have a Silvertip and was initially disappointed I couldn't get it with the additional guyout points on the corner seams. Now that I've pitched it a few times, if you follow SO's instructions those corners seams are very taut.

Obviously the Cimmaron is a bigger shelter with more surface area, but the Silvertip is damn near silent even in 25-30 mph winds.

chindits

WKR
Great review. I have been using MLD duomid for years. I'm not sure why people bring stoves and I'm not sure of the effects on fabric from extreme temperature fluctuations, but it never gets colder than -30 around here so maybe I have led a sheltered life.

You are entirely correct that re-tensioning a shelter made of silnylon is necessary when the temperature goes down. Silnylon has one of those strange attributes where it seems to get looser at the temps drop and tighter as the temp goes up. That is the beauty of having a trekking center pole or corner tie outs that can be adjusted with one hand from inside the shelter. At some point be it snow or cold rain, you will be glad for the luxury of tightening the pitch from inside the shelter. Likewise in the morning before I head out to hunt, I usually put a little slack in the shelter to allow for the fabric tightening the pitch as the temperatures warm up. I can't speak for Kifaru fabric reaction to temperature, but then I can't afford it either.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Josh

Did you have extra guyouts added? I spoke with them the other day and said they don’t offer that option anymore as it’s not needed. What’s your thoughts? If I order should I request it and see what they say?

Also for the stake loops. Just to make sure we are on the same page. I know they only have one loop on the outside. I was asking if it has a inner loop as well as the outter at the stake point like the guyout location? I would think the inner loop would be helpful for maybe adding the nest.

Thanks for the great review and taking time to answer questions. Member like yourself make forums a pleasure to be a part of.

I do not have the extra guy outs and for where and when I hunt the mid panel guy outs keep the walls taut under most conditions. If I lived in an area where high blasts of wind were common I might think differently, but the stock set up is quite sturdy.

-Josh

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
I do not have the extra guy outs and for where and when I hunt the mid panel guy outs keep the walls taut under most conditions. If I lived in an area where high blasts of wind were common I might think differently, but the stock set up is quite sturdy.

-Josh

Did the Cimarron feel like it had noticeably more room over the TUT or do the vertical walls help out that much with usable space? As well which one of the two do you prefer after all the testing you did?

Thanks Alan

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did the Cimarron feel like it had noticeably more room over the TUT or do the vertical walls help out that much with usable space? As well which one of the two do you prefer after all the testing you did?

Thanks Alan

The Cimarron has more room even though it has lower angled wall. The foot print isn't symmetrical like the Tut which gives it plenty of space for two people, gear, fire wood and a stove. Overall I think the Cimarron is a better shelter for most of my hunts but at times the large foot print can be a hindrance in site selection in tight locales. That is where the Tut can shine but IMO the stove jack needs a redesign to make it water proof and the overall shelter weight is tough to swallow.

Just looking at photos, the Cimarron looks "flat." Maybe, I missed it, but were you able to stand straight up in the Cimarron? How did it compare that way with the Kifaru?

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
Just looking at photos, the Cimarron looks "flat." Maybe, I missed it, but were you able to stand straight up in the Cimarron? How did it compare that way with the Kifaru?
You can stand up in the very center of a 4 man, not a chance in the cimarron

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member

The Tut is the tallest out of the group. I could stand up in the very center with very little room to move around. The Cimarron isn't tall enough to stand up in but I can get dressed slightly hunched over. For reference I'm 5'7".

That's Important to Me

The Tut is the tallest out of the group. I could stand up in the very center with very little room to move around. The Cimarron isn't tall enough to stand up in but I can get dressed slightly hunched over. For reference I'm 5'7".

I would like to be able to stand straight up occasionally for a short while (old guy back) -- especially if chased inside by weather.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone in Wisconsin have a SeekOutside Cimarron they would be willing to show off? Really want to see one in person before committing.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone in Wisconsin have a SeekOutside Cimarron they would be willing to show off? Really want to see one in person before committing.

I did a video review of the Cimmaron in 2016. It’s on Rokslides YouTube channel. Shows set up, interior space. Etc. still using that tent and it’s wearing well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
Lawnboi, thank you.

Robby, I saw your video and very much appreciated it as it was one of the videos that first got me interested in SO. It is just a big leap for me to go floor-less and would feelmore comfortable if I could see one in person if it was within Wisconsin or a neighboring state.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Once the frost hits, and the biting bugs and flys diminish, I prefer floorless.

I can ship you mine if you want to put down a deposit for it. I co-own this site so im easy to find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Lawnboi, thank you.

Robby, I saw your video and very much appreciated it as it was one of the videos that first got me interested in SO. It is just a big leap for me to go floor-less and would feelmore comfortable if I could see one in person if it was within Wisconsin or a neighboring state.

If you are into tech, we have VR views on our site https://seekoutside.com/shelters-in-360-vr-look-around-views/ . These views will show with a nest or stove or half nest just click as you look around the features. In addition, if you have cheap VR googles you can put your phone in it and see it in a real sort of VR

thanks
Kevin