Floorless Mid Shootout

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
With spring here it is time to get this rolling. I've started using and collecting information on a group of floorless pyramid style shelters. The idea is to compare a few of the more well know shelters in hunting circles with a few lesser talked about options available. The plan is to compare features, specializations, quality, and overall back country usability. I've used a floorless mid for years and definitely know the limitations and benefits. Hopefully this shootout will help a few hunters choose a shelter that is right for their style of hunting.

attachment.php

The shelters in the shootout are:

Seek Outside Cimarron with a stove jack.

attachment.php

Kifaru Tut with a stove jack.

attachment.php

Mountain Laurel Designs Supermid.

attachment.php

Black Diamond Mega Light.

attachment.php

Over the next 2 months I will update this thread with images and information as the shootout unfolds. Please ask questions and offer ideas as to what you would like to read about. Subscribe using the thread tools and get automatic updates when new info is posted. When everything is wrapped up I will provide a full review with my take on these shelters.

If you want to be notified of updates, click on Thread Tools at top of post to subscribe.
-Josh Boyd

Link to full review: Review: Floorless Pyramid Shootout

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea. Thank you for putting this together.....subscribed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

WKR
Definitely in for this one

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This is great! Love to hear the strengths and weaknesses of each compared to one another because I recently picked up both the Cimarron and Silvertip each with a stove jack.

Am subscribed and looking forward to your thoughts.

nazca

FNG
I'd really like to see a like-for-like comparison of *actual* weight (in a few configurations from minimum to make it stand, through likely normal pitching, to fully staked). I spent a couple hours today researching shelters in this class, and one notch smaller. They make it difficult to really compare weights effectively.

Hall256

WKR
Josh, this is great, and I'm definitely subscribing. Once you start reviewing them can you give us your height and the headroom or lack of headroom for each model...thanks for doing this, I know you are going to answer a lot of questions people have here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd really like to see a like-for-like comparison of *actual* weight (in a few configurations from minimum to make it stand, through likely normal pitching, to fully staked). I spent a couple hours today researching shelters in this class, and one notch smaller. They make it difficult to really compare weights effectively.

This info will definitely be included in the comparisons. Thanks for bringing it up.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Josh, this is great, and I'm definitely subscribing. Once you start reviewing them can you give us your height and the headroom or lack of headroom for each model...thanks for doing this, I know you are going to answer a lot of questions people have here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Will do. Great idea. Thanks for adding to the review process.

mlob1one

WKR
One thing I'm particularly curious about is the amount of stretch in each shelter particularly after initial setup and after exposure to water. While this would be difficult to be scientific about it, perhaps marking, measuring, or documenting variance in each shelter would be amazing.

Can you tell I have a gear addiction problem?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk