Quilt width question

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
I'm planning on ordering a quilt this week. I would like to order the Hammock Gear Burrow Econ 20. The wide version of this quilt is 55". My question for you familiar with using quilts is the 55" width comfortable? My other option would be ordering a 58" (wide) EE Apex insulation quilt? I'm a fairly bigger guy. Generally an XXL shirt and 40" waist for reference. Price is a factor which is why I like the Econ and EE Apex. Is the extra 3" of the EE a game changer? I will be using a Large Thermarest Neoair XLite and ordering a long version of either bag. Thanks for input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been struggling with my sleep system and just went through this process with a quilt. On the advice of the EE team, I bought an EE Revelation in 10 degree, regular width, regular length. I am just under 6' and 178 lbs. The EE quilt quality is great and the 10 degree bag in 850 down is super warm. I tried to use it on the Boy Scout Klondike winter camp where night time lows were about 25 degrees. The bag was plenty warm enough but I could not roll from one side to the other without getting about a three inch bare patch in the middle of my back. It was frustrating because the quilt has a wonderful warmth to weight ratio but that exposed skin kept me awake. Another Scout leader (same size as me) was using his EE quilt in a wide and has no problems.

I ended up selling my quilt to a friend and started over. I just did another Boy Scout camp last weekend using a Nemo Argali 15 degree bag. Not to get too off track, but this system has some quilt-like properties but is heavier at 2 lbs 5 oz. It uses 650 downtek and is not as toasty as the EE 10 degree quilt with 850 and I had to add a fleece vest to my thermals to stay warm. I had a wine cellar thermometer in the tent and night time low was 36 degrees with humidity over 80%, which is really rare for Colorado. Keep in mind that I do sleep cold.

I wish that I could combine some features of both of these sleep systems. My wife chimed in that if I had gone with a wider quilt, I might have been good to go. I think she's right. I would definitely recommend going wide.

I make my stuff and I hammock hang a lot. However, I ground dwell too. I went to quilts three years ago and love them. Here's my experience and my stats. I'm rather short at 5'8" I have a 52 inch chest and a 40 inch waist. What my total measurement is including shoulders is beyond me but, I've got big shoulders too. When I made my last quilt, which I did because My previous two were to narrow, I made it out of a stock wide 60" material and left it full width. I sewed a foot bow 24 inches high and let it run to full width minus hem from there. In a hammock, it works. On the ground it is too narrow.

My guess is with a 40 inch waist, you have broad shoulders. So, I personally believe that either of these quilts would be too narrow for ground sleeping unless you sleep like a rock. Meaning you never move. I'd want at least 15 inches of starting material in width over my chest So, if you were a 50 inch chest, you'll end up with a 65 inch wide stock piece and a finished piece around 63 inches wide after hemmed. This will allow you to move underneath without uncovering yourself. You'd probably have too order that special. I don't know. Or, you could buy the material and sew two panel together cut to the measurement you need. I made mine 84 inches long and, by the time the hem was done, it worked out perfect as I like to have enough to pull up around my head. There are lots of tutorials on the web. If you can sew, you can complete the thing in an hour or so. After you cut it out

If sewing isn't your thing, look for a local shop. And, don't be afraid to go synthetic. Climashield Apex is excellent and easy to deal with as it needs no baffles or grid sewing. Just sew the stuff into the hem with the shells and you are done. Almost as light and in my personal experience, just as warm. You will be penalized in size somewhat for a cold weather quilt as synthetics loose ground in compression after about 20 degrees but, it dries easily. It really is great stuff.

Good luck and I hope this helped. God Bless men

Whip

WKR
I just received a new EE Revelation quilt. I've only used it a couple of nights so far, but am loving it.
I'm 6'3" 225# (38" waist) I went with a 10 degree tall and ordered as an Extra Wide (64") I toss and turn a lot at night, and the extra material was sure nice to keep me covered. Maybe a standard wide would work as well, but for the extra couple of ounces I'm left with a quilt that still weighs less than 2#.
I know the Apex didn't come in an X Wide, but I would go as wide as you can.

OP
machinethomas

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
I went ahead and ordered a Revelation in 850 FP. I ordered a long and extra wide (64"). I tried out a wide and think it would have worked, but thought why not get a wider quilt for 2 or so ounces. Final weight said it will be 26 oz. I have no doubts this thing will be awesome. Thanks for your input. I'll report with my thoughts.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I went ahead and ordered a Revelation in 850 FP. I ordered a long and extra wide (64"). I tried out a wide and think it would have worked, but thought why not get a wider quilt for 2 or so ounces. Final weight said it will be 26 oz. I have no doubts this thing will be awesome. Thanks for your input. I'll report with my thoughts.

Youll like it.

I've said and posted this repeatedly- do not get a quilt smaller than tall/extra wide. I'm 5'9", 185lbs with relatively low body fat and would HATE quilts if I weren't using an extra wide version. I can deal with regular length, though tall is MUCH better- but regular width is a no go. I went through this with quite a few dudes at work- every one of them HATED using the quilts until we got extra wide versions. Now everyone loves the quilts and it's hard getting them to use their bags even when they should do to weather.

EE needs to stop telling hunters to go with regular quilts and put a disclaimer on the site that hunters should go with an extra wide.

FURMAN

WKR
I have only spent 3 nights in my EE reg length wide 0 degree but I know it will do everything I need. I had no exposed skin at any time during the nights. I am a side sleeper so I did not need the extra length. I am 5'10" 165lbs. I also toss and turn so width was a concern for me. The 58" is perfect.

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 6'4" 235lbs. Originally I ordered a long wide Revelation from EE. After 5 min on the livingroom floor it was boxed up and ready for return. Now i have a long, extra wide and it's great. As others stated, my advise to anyone getting a quilt is go wide!

ljalberta

WKR
You could ask underground quilts about a custom width nickstone. As to the original question, I think unless you're a really still sleeper you would want to go at least wide. I am 5'9" 165lbs and rather new to quilts and toss and turn quite a bit. I got a wide and am happy with the width. I've used it with a few different combinations of straps and also no straps now. My wife also have a regular width, which I could use, however I much prefer the wife as I enjoy sleeping with no straps and it offers that extra coverage. At the end of the day, I don't think anyone regrets having too much width, but many regret getting a quilt too slim.

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
Do you guys have any other suggestions for companies making extra wide quilts? I'm 6'3" 265 and pretty wide across the shoulders.[/QUO
Many of these shops will do custom work in the offseason. That said give them a call and see what they can do for you know. I love my Hammock Gear Enco stuff. The price point is perfect!!

OP
machinethomas

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
Well my Extra Wide EE Revelation showed up in the mail yesterday. I will say for anyone in the future, as others have already stated, I'm glad I got the extra wide. I'm guessing a wide could work, but I have no regrets getting the extra width.

I'm planning on ordering a quilt this week. I would like to order the Hammock Gear Burrow Econ 20. The wide version of this quilt is 55". My question for you familiar with using quilts is the 55" width comfortable? My other option would be ordering a 58" (wide) EE Apex insulation quilt? I'm a fairly bigger guy. Generally an XXL shirt and 40" waist for reference. Price is a factor which is why I like the Econ and EE Apex. Is the extra 3" of the EE a game changer? I will be using a Large Thermarest Neoair XLite and ordering a long version of either bag. Thanks for input.

Also buy a hoodlum from EE (the thicker one), trust me on this one.