0-20 Degree Sleeping Bag Under $200

FNG
I really like the Marmot Trestle, and have been using them for years. They are good bags at a good price.($100-$120) I have 3 bags, a 30, 15 and 0, all in wide width. which is super nice, so you don't compress the bag as much, loosing loft and insulation.

But like someones else noted, the cot is wicking the cold out of you. You need to focus on what is under you, increase the R-factor with a mattress or something.

Just my 2 cents.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Thanks for the suggestions all, definitely have some good ideas in here. I'm going to try out a few bags at Cabelas this weekend then wait for a good sale online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a two nice Marmot down bags, a 32 and a 0. But, I just picked up a few Chinese duck down bags that can be used as a quilt, from a liquidation store near me. At $10.00 a piece, I don't think I can go wrong. I'll be testing them this May at elevation while camping from the truck (so that if they don't cut it, I can layer another on top) with my wife and some friends. Based on overall appearance, they seem to have plenty of down for their comfort ratings, and quality looks good. So I expect them to be good for at least the top end of their rating. They are not as light as my Marmot bags, but then, they are not name brand mountaineering bags. But they can fill the need. So, once I have tested and know their comfort ranges, I can let a couple newby's I'll be taking backpack hunting use them, as they have almost nothing.

mauiarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Any good suggestions for a bag? Don't care what type but I got cold as hell last year on a hunting trip sleeping in my bag. I used a bouldercreek bag that I got for like $60 from Cabelas I think it is rated to "0 degrees" BS!

I was camping in a huge tent with a cot and had to layer up to stay warm even though it only got down to like 28. That is going to be my setup for the foreseeable future.

Have any of you used a bag under $200 that was pretty warm in those temps? I have been looking at REI, Marmot Trestles 15, Kelty, and North Face.

I will be going to Cabelas this weekend and looking to pick up a bag there if possible.

Any other suggestions would be great thanks.
As others have mentioned, a 0 deg. Bag won't work without a good pad...u crush the loft (the insulative properties) by laying on it, rendering it ineffective. With that in mind, many argue (including me) you don't need bag underneath You (with appropriate pad). I have gone to quilts and never been more comfortable and never an issue staying warm. If a quilt might be an option for you, the best value, bar none, is the econ line from hammock gear. I just wish these had come out sooner as I had already purchased/own much more expensive quilts. A good down 0* bag can run $600....these are less than 1/3 the cost. I bet it is 1/3 the weight and packed size of the bag you were using As well.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
If a quilt might be an option for you, the best value, bar none, is the econ line from hammock gear. I just wish these had come out sooner as I had already purchased/own much more expensive quilts. A good down 0* bag can run $600....these are less than 1/3 the cost. I bet it is 1/3 the weight and packed size of the bag you were using As well.

Never heard of these, so a quilt is just a blanket with a footbox then? What is the benefit to them?

Have you had experience with Hammock gear?

mauiarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Benefit to quilts for me is more comfort (don't feel like a sausage in a casing), lighter weight (No zipper in most cases, no extra material under you and no head box), and more versatile for Warner weather (so easy to vent or lay on top).

It is similar to a blanket or an open sleeping bag with no head....i just use my black rock down toboggan or other wool cap when needed. You can use a sleeping bag similarly if it in zips all the way but quilt is lighter, cheaper, and just as effective IMO.

Yes, I have 2 hammock gear under quilts and a third (econ line) on the way for my hammock. I also have a hammock gear tarp. They are a great company and go above and beyond for service. I had some down shifting and and they over stuffed for free. I find their temp ratings to be true but YMMV.

I am a complete quilt convert but admittedly they are not for everyone....but I don't see any down side. The only way I can see having an issue is with a pad with an insufficient r value, a restless sleeper that didn't order a wide, or not wearing a warm hat. My top quilts I use in hammock or on ground/cot (with a proper pad).

Zoo Keeper

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, I have 2 hammock gear under quilts and a third (econ line) on the way for my hammock.

I would be very interested in a review of the Econ line once you've had some time with it.

What degree of quilt did you get?

mauiarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I would be very interested in a review of the Econ line once you've had some time with it.

What degree of quilt did you get?

It is a 40 degree 3/4 under quilt...i have higher end 20 degree 3/4 I can compare it to. Happy to share my thoughts once it gets here. I did not "need" it but at that price ($90) couldn't pass it up....and I was afraid they would discontinue or jack up prices once they see the demand. The company claims they will not, but admit there will be price fluctuation based on material acquisition pricing (primarily the down).

Reviews I have seen have been all positive to date. However I will Reserve final judgment until I receive but HG has always exceeded expectations to date.

JeremiahH

WKR
Have you considered the army surplus sleeping bags. They come in a modular kit. That and a foam roll out mattress to go between you and your cot. The whole system is less than $150. No reason to spend money going light or name brand etc when your foreseeable future is a big tent with a cot.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
It is a 40 degree 3/4 under quilt...i have higher end 20 degree 3/4 I can compare it to. Happy to share my thoughts once it gets here. I did not "need" it but at that price ($90) couldn't pass it up....and I was afraid they would discontinue or jack up prices once they see the demand. The company claims they will not, but admit there will be price fluctuation based on material acquisition pricing (primarily the down).

Reviews I have seen have been all positive to date. However I will Reserve final judgment until I receive but HG has always exceeded expectations to date.

I think I may pick up the Econ 0 or 10 quilt.. if I do I will let you guys know what I think.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
Idahohunter mentioned one I'll expand on a little. The military sleep system is rated to some ridiculous way below 0 degree number, but that rating is NOT the same as a civilian bag. I've spent many nights using the two bags with goretex bivy as low as about 0 degrees F. Maybe a better insulated pad than the military one would help, but I find it pretty cold under 20. I sleep cold and prefer to be pretty warm, but I would not call that system a good sub 0 solution. In single digits I was comfortable in it if I was wearing a big puffy jacket and pants we called a "happy suit". A tent also helps a lot. With all that said, It is the system I will be using for any hunting I do because it is what I have right now, and I cant afford one that would be significantly better this year.

Lastly, the complete three bag system and stuff sack weighs like 10 pounds and isn't very small. The biggest adavntages are the low cost ($100 to $150 would be a fair price), tough bivy sack, and ok performance.

If you go that route and sleep in sub 20 weather my advice would be...Use a tent, use a good sleeping pad, use all three bags, and wear a warm layer while in the bag. Hot hands packets in the bag helps too, but I don't like carrying stuff like that and having the extra trash to pack out.

Hope that helps. And if you go the quilt route, please do let us know how it works. That may be my next sleeping gear purchase.

And to directly answer what you asked, lol: Yes it would be warm in a tent in 28 degree weather, very adequate for that.

Last edited:

JeremiahH

WKR
Yup good point. 28* didn't sound too bad and I figured he's already going with a heavy comfy camp. Good zlite or therma rest on top of the cot would make a big difference in heat transfer.

I like the quilt route. It works.
This is mid December camp. Custom burrow 20* with two ounce overstuff. Inside that I had a burrow 50* with one ounce overstuff. On top of therma rest foam pad. Managing drafts are somewhat a pain sometimes with quilts. I like the idea of the convert that enlightened equipment has but I have yet to try one.
d5b6c1c4556308185bf62024ca396db6.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk