Hilleberg akto or s.o. Silvertip

dog812

WKR
Apple's and oranges... but
If you had to choose, for a do it all shelter this year, which would you go with?
I do a lot of hunting, from September till the end of November in northern b.c.. Mostly backpack.. Anything longer then 5 days I use my wall tent.
I have a summer 5# tent that I have been using but it's time to lighten the pack.
Which would you choose and why.?
I like the idea of using a stove, but I don't have a ultralight one, and haven't ever used one away from the wall tent.
Just looking for your opinion, if you had $400 usd to spend what would it be?

mlob1one

WKR
I'd get the silvertip and add a stove. As long as you're where you can get wood, I wouldn't go any other way.
Good luck on the search and the hunt!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
I'd get the silvertip and add a stove. As long as you're where you can get wood, I wouldn't go any other way.
Good luck on the search and the hunt!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Agreed 100%

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Just ordered the SilverTip. Will be adding a Lite Outdoors stove to it shortly. Super pumped to try it out.

OP
D

dog812

WKR
Why did you guys choose the silvertip over the lbo?
The modular design seems cool. But id say, 99% of the time I am solo in my tent.
Also did anyone get the screen door option? What pole? What length?

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Why did you guys choose the silvertip over the lbo?
The modular design seems cool. But id say, 99% of the time I am solo in my tent.
Also did anyone get the screen door option? What pole? What length?

Pure simplicity of the SilverTip. I, like yourself, will be solo the majority of the time.

Also, I ordered every option for the SilverTip, including the screen doors. Its supposed to arrive Tuesday, so once I get it set up, I'll let you know. Also, I'll most likely be running the REI pole. I'd like carbon if I can find one short enough.

I was looking around for an adjustable pole for the Silvertip. BPWD and Ruta Locura have options in CF or Easton aluminum.

I ended up getting a custom pole from BPWD, .742" aluminum, with a CF adjuster, 57-64". Mine was $65 shipped.

P6DJivf.jpg

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking around for an adjustable pole for the Silvertip. BPWD and Ruta Locura have options in CF or Easton aluminum.

I ended up getting a custom pole from BPWD, .742" aluminum, with a CF adjuster, 57-64". Mine was $65 shipped.

P6DJivf.jpg

Awesome. Gonna have to look into that.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
The Akto and SO designs are much different.

The Akto will be better with condensation as it has an interior bugliner/condensation barrier built in and vents on each end along with vestibule vent. The floor in the tent will work better in wet conditions where you can't or don't have time to mess with a stove. I have camped in really wet conditions with the Akto and I always stay dry.

At a high level comparison, the pyramid/tipi design will have more usable floor space for the weight. But being single wall if you skip any kind of liner you will have more condensation issues in wet climes. This is unless you can get good ventilation or the ground dry with a wood stove. Even then, single wall tents will be more condensation prone in my experience.

The Akto is faster and more convenient if you are moving sites each day but you will be more cramped if you get socked in with bad weather. The pyramid/tipi style would be better for longer stays where you carefully select a spot and can deal with condensation issues effectively. Plus, more room if you get tent bound in bad weather.

I have owned an Akto for years and it is my preferred tent when I need to travel fast and light but still want a storm-worthy shelter without much hassle. I bought a RedCliff for the sheer luxury of size and stove option.The silvertip would be the RedCliff but smaller.

I'm a Hilleberg fan as their tents are reliable and never cause any drama. But my RedCliff is also well built and I had it up in high winds (40-50MPH gusts) without any problems except for the stove rattling around a bit. The Silvertip would be more stable in high winds due to the lower pitch and I admit I'm tempted to get one as well if I get tired of the Akto.