Apex temperature ratings

So I'm feeling like I need a project and I'm leaning towards making a quilt.

I'm planning on basically copying the EE Revelation with materials from ripstop by the roll. It looks like I should be able to get the materials for about $100 before shipping.

My question is whether the 5oz Apex is enough for Colorado from about May-September? The ratings guide says the 5oz should be comfortable to about 30° but I was curious if anyone has any experience with that. Are they being conservative with the rating or should I expect to be chilly at 30° with the 5oz?

I could go with the 7.5oz but I'm trying to stay lighter if possible.

I would go with the 7.5 ounce apex for that. Even though climashield rates it at 10 degrees I'd say it's more like 20 degrees, which in my opinion is more like what you'd need for a mid September Colorado hunt. I made a 6' long 55" wide quilt from ripstop using the 7.5 ounce apex and am very happy with it. So far I've only had it at around freezing temps but am very happy so far. The weight came in at 1 pound 13 ounces for my build.

OP
LongWayAround
Perfect. Thanks for the response. After I drew it up, I thought I should probably go 7.5oz.

I noticed EE calls a regular length 6' (72") but the specs call it out at 78".

How did you pick your length? I'm only about 5'9" but figured if I lose a foot to the toe box, I should probably shoot for an overall of 78".

I build mine at a full 84 inches and I make them wide. I like the extra material for snuggling around my head. I've personally taken a 5.0 to mid teens wearing insulated underwear, in a hammock with a arrowhead under quilt. I was cozy with a beanie. However, I made a 7.5 ounce to replace it to allow for less clothes when sleeping. Insulation that replaces sleepwear is lighter and more compact. I'm guessing my 5.0 quilt weighs in the 1/5 pound mark and, my 7.5 weighs about 2 pounds. It's good stuff.

For ground sleeping on a pad, go 7.5 is my guess. More times than not when I've been in the CO rockies during that time, teens are not uncommon at all through out the night. God Bless men

LBFowler

WKR
I have a 6oz quilt and sleep very cold, I can do 30* as long as I have some decent clothing on. I've heard 6oz for 30* and 8 oz for 20* most often, what temperatures are you actually expecting?

Last edited:
OP
LongWayAround
I would expect most nights not to be any colder than 30° with the majority being warmer than that. But I would rather not have to sleep in layers either.

I have only built 3 or 4 quilts but I personally like to build them a foot taller than your height. It's nice to beaver to tuck the extra length around your head if needed