SilverTip + Lite Outdoors = Win!

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
I recently got my SO SilverTip and Lite Outdoors stove setup. I finally got around to setting them both up so I could seam seal the shelter and burn-in the stove. I bought both the 12" and 18" stove setups (with baffles and spark arrestor). My plans are to run the 12" when I'm by myself in the SilverTip, yet will have the 18" if I ever buy a larger shelter for when a buddy or two tag along.

First impressions of both are awesome. The shelter weighs nothing. The stove weighs nothing. No official weights on either, but I will soon. I bought an adjustable carbon fiber pole from Ruta Locura. I fully expected this thing to melt being <12" away from the stovepipe, but it held up like a champ.

Of note, the initial rollup of the stove pipe is a gigantic PITA by yourself. It's doable, and mine turned out great with only a couple small dents/crinkles. I wouldn't recommend trying it on your own. I did, but I'm impatient.

The shelter is solid. The setup took a couple trials to get right, and its still not perfect, but, I was just trying to get it up and going as I was losing daylight. I'll perfect it when I have time.

I'm blown away (literally) by the heat this stove can put out. I just ran it in the 12" configuration, but I'd probably wake up medium-rare if I tried to run the 18". I hung my temperature-reading watch in the apex of the tipi to see how warm it would get up there. It started out at comfortable 78* here in central Ohio. I found out my watch won't read any temps past 145*. LOL! I'd say that's sufficient.

Onto the pics:

KgUihAQ.jpg

toJPXzK.jpg

My helpers...
cgtAkN1.jpg

neZsqT3.jpg

e1uAXyJ.jpg

Now we're cooking!
luuLzkJ.jpg

Looks really good! Any pics with a pad or cot in there to get a size idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sveltri

WKR
I'm planning on going the same direction 12" for the Silvertip and the 18" for the Redcliff.

OP
A

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Looks really good! Any pics with a pad or cot in there to get a size idea?

Not yet, but I'll get you one when I've got it all guy'd-out.

Looks like a great pairing. What length pipe did you go with?

Shane

6'. Its probably a bit long for this shelter, but I wanted one long enough to work with a bigger shelter as well when I get one (most likely a Tut). Also, I'm not sure how a 5' would draw. The 6' did reverberate a little bit at WOT before it got fully warmed up. A little dampening until she heated up solved it quickly.

For those wondering about LO's spark arrestor; I ran it in the top of the stove pipe upside-down and under the inner band. LO says to run it on the bottom but I'm not sure how you'd do that without it sticking out into the stove itself, which, would probably be OK as well.

Yea the spark arrestor if installed in the bottom with a baffle would hit the baffle if you installed the arrestor with the dome part down- which isn't a bad thing cause it the also acts a depth gauge ensuring your stove pipe is high enough off the baffle.
If you install it with the dome part in the pipe, you have to arrange it around the ring and the dampener valve.

You could probably slide it in pretty much anywhere near the bottom prior to running the cable rings down over it. I will keep mine near the bottom to give it a chance to catch the embers before it gets too close to the top.