Hammocks

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly, I would not recommend trying a Hammock in any temps below 70 at night without an under quilt to someone just trying a quilt.You will get a cold butt this I can almost guaranty. I not it sounds crazy but there is nothing insulating the lower back or butt area. I tried the pad and it really was a pain to fit in the Hammock and did not do anything for my arms as the pad does not come up the side. You can get a 30-40 Hammock Gear Brand 3/4 length Econo quilt for a very good price. This is what I have now. Trust me it will really raise your comfort level. From there I have gotten hooks and clips that really make setting up the hammock, tarp, and quilt very quick. These I get from Dutch Gear. With the above said a solid Hammock set up will be more $ than a good light tent and could weight more as well but the comfort can not beat in my opinion.

Twall13, love the picture! Awsome looking camp and surroundings!
That's what I picture a hammock camp would look like.
My main reason for tryin ghammocks are the comfort. I do not particularly like sleeping pads.

Question, you use an underquilt below, then a top quilt over you? No sleeping bag. I think a bag would be difficult.
Does the underquit attach to the hammock?

I am going to try a hammock with bug net and tarp on some summer scouting trips to see how I like it. I would not need for any quilts, but if I like this camp set up, I might look into quilts.

~Wojo

CDNPO

FNG
Why do you have to get up and out of the hammock to make coffee?
Watch some of "Shug's" videos his whole reason for going backpacking is "Breakfast from the hammock".

I guess I should have specified that "I have to physically get up and out of bed to make coffee". I love the shug videos. He can lean over the side of the hammock and make his coffee. I spilled the pot while boiling enough that I have to get my feet out of the quilt and sit up over the side to do it.... ergo physically getting up and out of bed. not hard to crawl back in after with my mug though

Scottiem

Lil-Rokslider
9814386ec2d97a0e7a0be4a51bb032c0.jpg
af6994acbb76eab1b67a97fd512082bf.jpg
79ebb396cc80584dcee5d9f50d506996.jpg

I've been running a warbonnet setup for the past couple elk seasons. Love it! Never been more comfortable in the backcountry.

Hammocks are my preferred sleep system in the back country. Obviously you can't use them effectively above treeline or in the desert but most places I go I find more trees than flat ground. I've slept on some hillsides where you couldn't ever get a tent but with the Hammock I slept really well. As others have said, there is a learning curve and you need insulation under you but I've slept comfortably in temps down to 15° on several trips with the right quilt setup. I don't really save any weight with my Hammock setup, which was my original hope when I started experimenting with hammocks several years ago, but I sleep better and have found there are enough other benefits that it's become my primary system.

1d91c8271db36f22b34f781ab059c88f.jpg

Do some research and experimenting and give it a shot. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have as you figure it out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Dang man, how tall are you? ;) I'm assuming you climbed the trees to put on the suspension.

Homemade camo tarp. KAQ under quilt with a homemade Apex top quilt. Running a continuous ridge line with this tarp. Eno straps. November deer hunt. Lows the first night was 19. Second night 15. Your tarp plays a big role in keeping you warm as well. Set it cross wind and, low enough to keep the wind off you. With good quilts and a top hat, you are good to go as lo as you want temperature wise. Plus, if you can sew, you can make everything you see minus the hammock for $150. Minus your time. God Bless

Attachments

• hammock 006.jpg
    hammock 006.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 64
  • hammock 007.jpg
    hammock 007.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 59
OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
Awsome pics and set ups!
I like the big tarp covers!
I got to get out and try this!
~Wojo

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
WV, where you located?
I plan to scout the Mon Nat Forest for hunting. Around Otter Creek for fall bear.
~Wojo

twall13

WKR
Dang man, how tall are you? ;) I'm assuming you climbed the trees to put on the suspension.
Haha, I do like my tarp high when the weather is good but I've never had to resort to climbing trees.

Jauwater

WKR
I haven't read the past posts so I may or may not be repeating everyone's posts, but here is my experience.

It's best for lounging. It's not at all ideal for long trips in the back country or even week or more long trips on the trail. Works fine on calm warm - cool nights. If it's cold there is a lot to setup with the under quilt/hammock/tarp. If high winds, and rain is a factor you should expect to get somewhat wet. About 2 years the hammock setup was all I used. Most of my experience with a hammock was 5,500ft-6,500ft along the NC ridges. A lot of really high winds, and rain, and at times snow. Me personally I'll never go back to a hammock.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

I'm in Princeton and hunt almost exclusively in the Mon. I'll help you all I can. Deer density is sparse in some places due to over mature forests. But, it has finally experienced some timber harvest in certain areas. But a bear stamp too. God Bless

twall13

WKR
I've been using a hammock almost exclusively for over 4 years now and my experience has been very different from Jauwaters. I've been through some pretty good mountain storms and never been wet in a hammock as I take care in how I set it up. I've been wet alot more often in a tent. My last backpacking trip I went with two guys in tents. After one storm they both had wet sleeping bags and I was totally dry off the ground. I've been in rain and snow and never been wet. All that said I'll admit that my hunts are mostly in Utah where we don't get the same amount of precipitation as many areas. I can certainly see there are places where I'd rather have a solid floorless shelter with a stove or a Hilleburg type shelter. Most of the time if I take care to set up in a good area weather isn't an issue. My tarp has doors so I get wind and water protection from all sides.

I've had a few nights where it was really windy and the tree I was hooked to shook my Hammock all night. Those were sleepless nights but I doubt I would have gotten any more sleep had I been in the ground in a tent. Some storms are just loud.

Regarding set up times I'll admit there is a lot to tinker with on a hammock setup but I don't feel it takes all that much more time than a tent setup once you get your system dialed in. I like that I don't have to blow up or deflate a pad with my Hammock. If I really wanted quick setup and takedown I could use the lazy slug tube that Wilderness Logics sells. It basically stores your under quilt and top quilt together with your Hammock. All you have to do is hook up the hammock ends and tarp and you're set.

Every system has pros and cons, you just have to figure out what works for you. That may be totally different than what works for me. The only way to know is to experiment and ask questions.

Last edited:

Jauwater

WKR
Hammock suspension lines will often get wet, and will eventually trickle down to your clip attaching to your hammock which slowly dampens the ends of your hammock. Heavy wind ( I'm talking 30mph+, which is common at high elevation ) will keep your tarp in your face all night. Added with heavy rain blowing in at every angle, while your tarp is being beaten by the wind you get very little protection. Every other year I go on 20-30 day hikes on the AT. I spent 22 days straight on a hammock. Most of the time it worked fine. But during heavy rain storms with heavy wind, or temperatures that get really low, in my opinion it is not ideal. In my opinion it's not the best all around shelter. If you always have fairly nice weather I reckon that's one thing. But if your planning a trip in advance, and have no clue what the weather is gonna be, and plan on using a hammock, take caution. My experiences have definitely differed from the gentleman above. The only moisture I've ever seen in one of my tents is condensation. A proper setup is key when facing weather in any shelter.

Jauwater

WKR
Lol, I apologize. My comments are totally bias. Some of my worst sleepless nights were in that hammock on that trip. I didnt dislike it till then. I survived, it wasn't that bad. Please take my comments as they are, as bias. My apologies.

twall13

WKR
Lol, I apologize. My comments are totally bias. Some of my worst sleepless nights were in that hammock on that trip. I didnt dislike it till then. I survived, it wasn't that bad. Please take my comments as they are, as bias. My apologies.

I actually appreciate your perspective. I think it's important for us to be aware of what conditions we might face and plan accordingly. Hammocks are my go to shelter, but I'll be the first to admit they aren't ideal in every situation. The type of storms you are talking about I can see would not be fun in a hammock. There are things you can do to help combat the wind in any shelter (side pull outs on my tarp do a good job of keeping it off my face in the wind, etc.). But with that said, there are more bombproof, weather tight systems if the forecast calls for that type of weather. I'd much rather have a discussion about when not to use a certain type of shelter now than when someone's life depends on that shelter.

As I said, I've been through a few rough storms in my hammock and been just fine. I've seen rain, snow, wind gusts up to about 45 mph. and weathered it all well. If I was dealing with those conditions for 4 days straight I'd probably be singing the same tune as you Jauwater. My experiences with that kind of weather have usually been shorter storms that lasted a day or so max for the worst winds. I've been in wet weather for 4 days straight but that's not the same as wet windy weather.

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
All good advise here! Obviously NO shelter is perfect for all situations.
I just hate sleeping on the ground on a blow up sleeping pad. Hate em!

Anyways, the Warbonnet Blackbird with their Supertarp looks like a nice set up.

~Wojo

BigSky

WKR
There has been a lot of good input in this thread. I will just ad a couple of points. First, one does not make the switch to hammocks for weight savings. Oh, it can be done, as we all know, dependent upon equipment choices. Fiddle factor, set up time, etc. are the same with each, once you figure it out. Hey, everything has a learning curve. Even when I'm ground camping I will always forgo weight savings for comfort. For example, I will always take an air mattress and a closed cell foam pad. We all deal with tradeoffs. I still do both, hammock and ground. Last year, I spent a ten day archery elk hunt in my hammock. Temperatures got down to freezing and below every night. I was very toasty every night. I spent two 5 to 6 day trips in my tipi. I was comfortable and dry and toasty every night. I plan and pack for the conditions whether hanging or ground pounding. Even though I still use both and will continue to use both, never do I sleep more comfortably than I do when I sleep in my hammock, not even in my own bed.

I will add my two cents here as well. I like hammocks, find them to be very versatile and very comfortable in all seasons.

The biggest issue and mistake that some people make is with insulation. Laying in a hammock without any insulation under you is a sure recipe for a cold butt. The same thing will happen on a camp cot, and for the same reason, you don't have anything keeping your body warmth around your body and the it all leaks out into the air under the cot or hammock.

Lots of us use a sleeping pad for insulation in a hammock and many use an underquilt. I use a layer of reflective material instead and find much lighter and much more effective. Instead of trapping the heat your body gives off in air pockets like a pad or underquilt does, the reflective material reflects it back onto your body. There are many things you can use for this; a Mylar space blanket, a reflective emergency blanket like SOL sells, some hammock makers sell reflective pads that roll or fold up nicely for packing, OR you can just grab one of those sun shields you put in car window. Here is an article I wrote for Survivor's Edge magazine that shows a reflective pad in use, see the third picture ( Bug-Out Shelter Options ).

Also, if you use an underquilt or a reflective pad for the insulation issue, you don't need a sleeping pad to be comfortable in a properly hung hammock.

As noted above, hammocks are very versatile. In fact I consider it to be a complete sleep system for above the ground or on the ground. If you have a hammock with a bug net and tarp you can set it up in the trees and sleep like a baby. If you don't have trees your hammock and bug net can serve as a bivvy sack and you put your tarp up just like you would any other time you camp on the ground. You may need to rig up some branches or arrows to suspend the bug netting up off of your face, but that is simple to do.

If you run a ridgeline with your hammock, especially if you use a tarp as well, you can always hang a small bag from it with your necessities like water bottle, eye glasses, watch, flashlight, and so on so you don't have to get out of your hammock during the night.

As for windy nights, many hammock makers also sell tarps that have flaps/doors on each end so that you can rig it like an old Army pup tent with the tarp in an A-frame configuration and you can close the flaps so that wind and rain cannot blow in. Here is a DIY example to give you an idea of what it looks like with the doors closed: http://s3.amazonaws.com/exploreserac.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/image11.jpg A Google search of "hammock tarps with doors" will give you several companies and even more examples.

Larry

twall13

WKR
All good advise here! Obviously NO shelter is perfect for all situations.
I just hate sleeping on the ground on a blow up sleeping pad. Hate em!

Anyways, the Warbonnet Blackbird with their Supertarp looks like a nice set up.

~Wojo

No experience with the Warbonnet hammocks although I've heard great things about them. I do own the Warbonnet Superfly tarp and it's a fantastic tarp for a hammock. The doors come in very handy for windy conditions but can be pulled back out of the way when not needed (which is how they are in the photo I posted previously). I've actually put two hammocks under that one tarp before (one being my 8 year old son's) and weathered a brief storm overnight. It's far from ideal for two hammocks, but can work and that gives you an idea of the coverage you get for one person.

Hammocks worked great for us early archery this year , it got chili but no rain or weather to speak of. I bought a cheapy off Amazon and it was almost the same as my buddies ENO, it worked great.
e2e30e94a35f9cd3888b52704d50571d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk