Hammocks

Yes, if you re concerned about precipitation, get a winter tarp. I have a 12 foot tarp with doors I use when snow and wind blown water is could be an issue. I'd probably go with an 11 footer if I had to do it again but, it is a castle under there. If I'm car camping, I bring a folding chair and set under the tarp if it's raining. It's that big. You don't have to get wet in a hammock either. A simple string tied around the suspension, underneath the tarp but, before the end of your hammock will see all runoff go down that string and drop off instead of running into the hammock and getting the ends wet.

It's like twall said, if you want to make it work, tinker with it. You might end up like most here in that you develop a preference for when you use it versus a ground rig. Personally, Id rather use them in cool weather versus hot. No bugs. And, you HAVE to have insulation on the bottom to make them comfortable. Even at 75 degrees or so, a breeze will make you cold if you don't have it. So, don't go without it no matter what you think is practical. And, setting the things up does not take long. I can set my camp up in 5-6 minutes once I've decided where to hang. Start to finish. It just takes figuring out what you like. Cool thing is learning isn't expensive for this hobby.

The hammock you speak of is a good hammock. The tarp is the BERRIES. However, do not over look the cottage vendors on these hammocks. I can't over stress Ducthware gear in everything hammock related. Simply Light Designs is a good one too. Great custom maker of anything you desire. Both are much more affordable. With many different options of materials. Be sure to get and adjustable ridge line to help you get the sag right every time until you get used to what you want. I've found the old 83% ridge line length of, the total hammock length, to be the best length to set the ridge line. And, I also run the ridge line to hang stuff off of. Once you get it right, no tossing and turning, waking up sore, etc... Pure BLISS. Good luck and God Bless

I hang as many nights as I can stand it, then sleep on the ground for a night or two. For this I carry an inflatable sleeping pad for on the ground and an underquilt for in the hammock. So far, I can't get comfortable enough hanging for more than 3 nights or so in a row. I do love the versatility of the setup as far as making terrain and wet ground a non-factor. I made a couple hammocks, but ended up with a Grand Trunk double for my backpacking setup because it's the largest of the major manufacturers that I could find (sounds like there's some others out there that I didn't know about), and is made from parachute material, so much less bulky than the materials I could find.
I also love to break mine out for a mid-day nap!

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
Got some more gear and set it up in back yard. Have a scouting trip set up in a couple weeks.
Question, how do you run a continuous riddling and hang the tape from it?
Any good videos (u-yube) out there to learn?
~Wojo

i could never hammock camp, but out of curiousity how much does a hammock, tarp, and 2 quilts weigh in at?

Depending on the materials used and the weight it is designed to support, between three and seven pounds should be a realistic range. Of course that would be compared to a tent/bivvy and a sleeping bag since you said two quilts.

twall13

WKR
My setup weighs as follows:

Tarp- 23.2 Oz (Warbonnet Superfly with guylines) or 18.24 Oz (Wilderness Logics Big Daddy with guylines) depending on the weather I expect.
Hammock- Dutchware PolyD 1.4 material, 11 foot hammock 10.83 Oz
Hammock Suspension, Tarp Ridgeline, 6 stakes, Other small accessories- 14.44 Oz (I carry more than I need here)
Underquilt- 20* Hammock Gear Incubator 25.11 Oz
Top Quilt- Hammock Gear 30* Econ Burrow 21.85 Oz

Total Weight- 5.65 Lbs. with lighter tarp, 5.96 Lbs. with the heavier tarp.

All that said, my setup is for comfort, not weight savings. I could use a 3/4 length underquilt and save 10 Oz. I could use a lighter tarp and save 10+ Oz, etc. I've experimented and found what works comfortably for me and, for me, it's worth packing a few extra pounds to sleep well. I also have a few other quilts (both top quilts and underquilts) of various ratings that can add or save weight depending on the conditions I expect to encounter. 90% of my trips use the setup above. If it's going to be hot I can use my summer quilts rated for 40* and come in at 27 Oz. for the pair. In warmer weather I typically also like a bug net though, which weighs 6.9 Oz. for my preferred net.

As with anything, you can go ultralight and minimalist or more beefy and comfortable. I'd say my setup is somewhere in the middle.

Scottiem

Lil-Rokslider
For my warbonnet blackbird, tarp, & underquilt....I'm at 3 lbs 12 oz.

Dutchware Hyper D 1.6 hammock weighs 12 ounces.

Suspension is 9 ounces.

My doorless tarp I posted above weighs 19 ounces. Stakes are an additional 8 ounces.

Under quilt is 14 ounces.

Top quilts range from 19 ounces to 28 ounces.

For all but the worst weather, I'm pushing 5 pounds

When I use my winter tarp and cold weather top quilt, I'm at 5 pounds 13 ounces.

It's worth every ounce. And, is as light as any comfortable ground dwelling setup I'd use in comparable weather. I make a lot of my gear to my specifications. I could go smaller or, use more costly materials that weigh less. But, this is what I've found I like the best for the compromise. And, one pound less isn't going to equal one thing other than a bunch more dollars spent.

God Bless

Last edited:
OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
WV,
You mentioned you hunt the Mon National Forest in WV. You run a bug net? I do not care for it in my face! Any pointer to keep the net away?
I plan to go down there in a couple weeks to scout out a couple spots for fall Bear.
~Wojo

twall13

WKR
Ya, my bug net drapes over the Ridgeline and stays out of my face. If your Hammock doesn't have a Ridgeline you should put one on. It makes it easier to get a consistent sag in the Hammock and is very handy for hanging stuff on at night.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
It does have a shock cord line. I used it. I mean the sides of the net sag in a lot.
Maybe a paracord would be bettter. Won't flex as much...

~Wojo

That is why I never run a hammock with a built in bugnet.

When I run one, I have hooks that hang it from the ridgelne.

Bugs in the Mon can be bad. Depending on moisture levels. And, we've had a bunch of that this spring. Your daytime pursuits will be like any other in a wet boreal forest. Bugs galore. During night, it won't be to bad as long as you aren't running a light too much.

Most of the time, I don't run them much during summer if it's a cool at night. If you have nights into the 40 degree range like we're having lately, don't run it. Hot and humid camping near a water source, you'd better use it

They hold a lot of heat in. Plus, bugs just don't seem to be as bad anymore since I've taken better care of selecting a campsight. However, that's a seasonal, regional thing that can change with one camp location or a rain storm. So, take in case you need it. As wet as it's been the last two months, you'll likely need it.

God Bless

GotDraw?

WKR
7. 6 oz Hummingbird 1+ hammock

10.2 oz 11' x 10' Cuben Fiber Tarp (custom- BearPaw Designs)

7.0 oz 12 stakes, whoopie slings, straps (LOVE!! Dutchware)

I run a 20 degree rated down underquilt, from Hammock Gear which weighs somewhere around 24 oz. (Including 2 additional oz of down over stuffing)

I use a 17 degree Mountain Hardware sleeping bag. Love it, but one drawback is that the zipper is not full length so it's a pain to vent it when you are too warm. (NOTE to self- all future sleeping bags to have full zippers)

My Tarp format is rectangular so I can choose to use it with my hammock or as a ground shelter with trekking poles & an ultra light bivvy bag, or even as a standing room shelter (great when you're stuck at camp in a pouring rain). Pouring rain sucks when you are stuck in a tent and can't even stand up for hours (or days). Being able to stand around under a tarp strung high is wonderful.

My tarp system is a little heavier than it could be because I had it made with with about 18 tie out locations, 5 on the bottom of each long side and 4 in the middle of both sides, I wanted certainty that it will NOT pull out in severe wind. I also run very long guy lines, so I can be certain to have sufficient line to reach down hill to stake the down hill side of the when using the hammock in very steep terrain. Proved the tarp system out while hanging overnight on the windward side of a ridge w/20-30+mph winds, pouring rain all night. Woke up bone dry.

I do have a separate bug net, but have never brought nor needed it in 5 seasons of Sept archery in OR or CO-- I camp at about 11k ft and it has always been cold enough at night to knock them down.

PM me with questions

Last edited:
OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
What's a good, light weight, universal bug net to get?
I am going to use my ENO hammock for now to see if i like this type of cramping.
~Wojo

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
You guys spray you tarp and gear with Permethrin?
I used it on my closthes last year, and had NO ticks.
Seams to be a good product.
They claim you can put it on tents and sleeping bags.
It is supposed to work on skeeters as well.
~Wojo

twall13

WKR
What's a good, light weight, universal bug net to get?
I am going to use my ENO hammock for now to see if i like this type of cramping.
~Wojo

My preferred bugnet is this one.

It's a really simple design but it works well and should work on most hammocks, including your ENO and longer hammocks if you decide to upgrade later. I actually made mine myself to save a bit of money, it's a really simple sewing job.

twall13

WKR
I use permethrin, it works well for mosquitoes and many other bugs. I don't put it on my tarp but do put it on my pack, clothes, and hammock.

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
That is a nice net. I see it is very light weight.
Does it pack down small?
~Wojo