Hammocks

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
View attachment 51967
here it is. Gonna try it out tomorrow night in back yard.
I am still having trouble with the tarp ridge line. I am not much of a knot Tier. LOL
Are those dutchware tarp Eze things easy to use?
I want to run a continuous ridgline under the tarp to hang stuff from. I am having trouble figuring it out...
~Wojo

It won't let me look at the pic. But, when I use a continuous ridge line, I hook the mini beaner on one side of the tarp ridge line and, a dutchware flea tied to the tarp ridge line tie out on the other side. Hook the beaner on one side of the tarp, go around tat tree, run it to the other tree underneath your tarp , go around it, then use the flea to hook the tag end of the ridge line to. It's easy to adjust the tarp over your setup this way and you can really get the tarp taunt. Just pull the line very tight with the tag end of the ridge line and hold the close end of the tarp where you want it at the same time. Then, just hook up the flea, use the leverage it provides to really cinch it tight, and fasten it. Best of all for me is there is no knots to try and work back out of my lash it ridge line. Cause I ain't good at knots either.

18c203b19df8639e7b988f8d6de79c1b.jpg

Here is my hammock shelter. I can put the hammock tucked on the ridgeline and almost stand up. What I like is that I sleep comfortably, benefit from a colorless shelter, and am moderately light.

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
WYO, what tarp is that?

WV, I think I understand you ridgline. I need to order a flea.

Thanks.
~Wojo

WYO, what tarp is that?

WV, I think I understand you ridgline. I need to order a flea.

Thanks.
~Wojo

Simply light designs winter haven. Based tarp for hammock setup. I enjoy having full coverage from the elements and the room if I am rained out. I also use dutchs tarp ridgeline and it's an awesome setup. I have more pictures of the inside if you would like.

Wojo, I misspoke earlier. For the tarp ridgeline, I use a Dutch fly. For the ground stakeouts, I use the fleas. So, order Flys for the ridheline.

Whoa, I'm glad I caught that bro

BigSky

WKR
I enjoy having full coverage from the elements and the room if I am rained out.
This brings up a good point I want to make with respect to hammock camping. Often in threads like this, opponents (for lack of a better term) of hammock camping make a claim similar to the following: "I won't use one. I can't imagine being stuck in a hammock instead of a tent riding out a storm for multiple days". You can tell this individual has no idea about that which he is condemning.

As you can tell from this thread, a properly arranged hammock setup will have one using a tarp for weather protection. Unless one is talking about a wall tent of some sort, you have the same amount of room, if not more, in a nice hammock and tarp set up as you do in a backpacking tent. Legitimate concerns that sway people one way or the other are always to be considered. As I've stated previously in multiple threads on multiple forums, I still use both hammocks and tents. My preference is to use a properly outfitted hammock setup. I think a lot of people give up based on stupid assertions made by uninformed individuals. I will never say anybody should use one or the other. However, try both in a manner in which you are properly equipped and make your decision. If most naysayers were to learn from some more experienced individuals, either through personal exposure or reading, many would be converts, at least if their ego will allow it.

This brings up a good point I want to make with respect to hammock camping. Often in threads like this, opponents (for lack of a better term) of hammock camping make a claim similar to the following: "I won't use one. I can't imagine being stuck in a hammock instead of a tent riding out a storm for multiple days". You can tell this individual has no idea about that which he is condemning.

As you can tell from this thread, a properly arranged hammock setup will have one using a tarp for weather protection. Unless one is talking about a wall tent of some sort, you have the same amount of room, if not more, in a nice hammock and tarp set up as you do in a backpacking tent. Legitimate concerns that sway people one way or the other are always to be considered. As I've stated previously in multiple threads on multiple forums, I still use both hammocks and tents. My preference is to use a properly outfitted hammock setup. I think a lot of people give up based on stupid assertions made by uninformed individuals. I will never say anybody should use one or the other. However, try both in a manner in which you are properly equipped and make your decision. If most naysayers were to learn from some more experienced individuals, either through personal exposure or reading, many would be converts, at least if their ego will allow it.

This is probably the thing I get so disgruntled with when talking hammocks. Yes some of the hammocks are just that but add in the tarp and you have the best of both worlds. I do have a tarp shelter too with stove for when my dad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
Wojo, I misspoke earlier. For the tarp ridgeline, I use a Dutch fly. For the ground stakeouts, I use the fleas. So, order Flys for the ridheline.

Whoa, I'm glad I caught that bro

HAHA, I figured it out. I ordered some Dutch hardware.

~Wojo

hammocks are one thing people either love or hate.
I think a lot of haters don't have the perseverance or guidance to take the time to really learn how to set up properly.

I've tried a few different hammocks, and it took me a while to find what works well, and I'm still tinkering. I've had some really crappy nights in a poorly set hammock while learning what works
I have spent months at a time sleeping in a hammock every night, have set up on steep ground on the sides of mountains, hung from rocks when there was no suitably spaced trees, been in horrendous downpours, and been in well below freezing conditions.

I can set up in minutes in near darkness, (stealth camping with no artificial light) and can pack up in minutes and be gone without trace. I've stealth camped in places were rangers were patrolling, saw my parked car, and I watched giggling from my hammock 40' up a hill side while the rangers searched the ground with flashlights looking for a tent.

I've had a wet hammock, and gotten wet when I didn't set up my trap well, I've had a frozen butt when its breezy, and woken with frost all over the inside of my tarp in sub freezing conditions. I've had to reset guy lines at midnight in storms, all of which I've done with a tent too. I think most of the faults people find with hammock camping can be dealt with, but having said that, they definitely have some downfalls

I have an 11' dutchware hammock with a fixed length ridge line on the hammock, its a lightweight one Argon 67?? I exceed his recommended weight limit by 100# and have put a good 100 nights in in it without issue. I made a 12'x9' ultralight cat cut tarp using fabric from Dutch. in fair weather, I pitch the tarp high and open, in bad weather, pitch it lower, and pegged snug to the sides of the hammock. removable doors for winter weather, or unexpected foul weather is on the to do list.

having a fixed ridge line makes getting a good hang a snap. Doesn't matter so much about tension on your suspension lines.
having a good underquilt is key to a good sleep IMO.

my son was using a hammock for a while too, but decided he prefers a tent or bivvy on the ground

the worst thing about hammock camping is having people tell you to watch shug's videos! what a cock!

I am 58 & been in the back country backpacking, horseback & primitive style for a lot of years. Lots of hard cold wet ground, hip holes, tarps & tents. For about 4 years now I went to hanging & sleep great, comfy, & rested. Sometimes just want to stay in the rack! As others have said it takes some tweaking to get it down right. I have had some bad nights too, but hey that's the back country, stay home or in a hotel.

I can set up in minutes anywhere, great for a midday rest. I am off the wet ground during rains. I use window reflector material I cut to fit for warmer weather under me or a thermorest pad for cold weather, worth the xtra weight. I have upgraded to a warbonnett double traveler hammock. I use a kifaru doobie for my over quilt.

IMG_0242_zpspvd1wpsk.jpg

IMG_0186_zps06uutqm3.jpg

IMG_0176_zpsmsfketbw.jpg

IMG_0461_zps4tsnmyud.jpg

IMG_1999_zps3yfjdwzf.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
Nice pictures of your set ups.
Do you use a fully enclosed tarp in the cold?
~Wojo

Thanks, Wojo, I am still learning as I go and try different options. To answer your question, no I do not have an enclosed one as of yet. I was looking at the one Wyo. showed here, like to compare it to the one Warbonnet makes Superfly Tarp Warbonnet Outdoors
This would make life better on those chilly mornings with frost, snow or cold rains, Wyo. do you use some type of stove for warmth?

I want to add about tree straps, get a good set that works well for you. I started out with a set from Eno and by morning I'd be butt touching the ground, no matter what I did. They stretch like crazy! I went to Grand Trunk 10' straps, been very happy with them. Looking to go with their lighter 14' straps. That should give me even more options for hanging.

Last edited:
Yes. Make sure whatever straps you choose they are made from polyester and not nylon. Nylon stretches.
Polyester does not. I'm currently using the ENO polyester straps. They don't stretch. I tried the nylon ones and experienced the same thing as the previous poster. Personally, I'm fixin' on ordering dutchware cinch buckle suspension. I've tried 4 different systems over the years but, can't reason any would be as fast and simple as those. God Bless

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
"Wyo. do you use some type of stove for warmth?"

Good question. How safe would it be to use a fully enclosed shelter, get a stove jack installed and run a small stove to take the chill out...?

~Wojo

Making a hot tent for hammocks is gaining popularity. Do a web search. Some info out there.

I don't think there are any limitations other than what applies to any nylon type tent. God Bless

twall13

WKR
I'd pay $200 for that setup for sure.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk