Kifaru vs WM

Well I'm in the market for a new bag. I've always used a synthetic bag except for stint in the Army and after looking at a WM Badger, and the Kifaru Slik, I'm not seeing any difference in weight in the long option.

Question, why go the down route if the weight is the same weight? I hunt in dry conditions with a trip to Alaska every now and then.

Undecided on which I should go with . I'm leaning towards to the Slik just because it's it synthetic and I can treat it as such, and not have to worry about the negatives of down. On the other hand, I'm worried about a start up company like Kifaru ( their sleeping bag side of things) vs going with a existing brand that has survived in the market.

What say you?

ianpadron

WKR
I wouldn't call Kifaru a startup company...

I personally would never rock one of their bags just because they're heavier than hell but have no doubt that the quality is as good if not better than anything else on the market.

The boys do things right over at Kifaru, that is for sure!

How'd you go about narrowing your choices to these two?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

PJG

WKR
Love absolutely love my WM bag. But, the truth of the matter is the shell material is extremely fragile, and if it gets wet your toast, those are probably the two biggest negatives I have. The positives are the weight and it's the best breathing bag I have ever slept in, I sleep like a baby in it. My WM bag is the antelope which is made for slightly smaller people imo.

I also have a new model 20 degree slick bag. IMO it doesn't breath as well, I get a bit sweaty in it which causes my feet to be colder when compare to the WM.
But, it is far more durable and you have a great synthetic insulation.

Really apples and oranges IMO. If your looking for a durable bag that will stay warm when wet then I'd say Kifaru.

If your always going to be dry and you are gentle with your equipment then I'd say WM.

oenanthe

WKR
They are not the same weight or temperature rating: the Badger is 2.5 lbs with a 15 deg rating, the Kifaru is 2.8 lbs with a 20 degree rating.

The WM is lighter and warmer, and 20 years from now it will still be just as warm. I've never seen a synthetic bag that didn't lose a *lot* of loft with use.

The "down is useless when wet" meme is way overblown in my experience. How many guys have gotten hypothermic in a down bag who wouldn't have been hypothermic in synthetic? FWIW I hunt in Alaska and have done several sheep hunts where the weather was miserable and crappy for a week without a break. Even sleeping in a floorless shelter with lots of condensation and no stove or fire, my down bag was just fine. Once I weighed my down bag when I got home, as it had been dripped on for a week without a chance to dry, and it looked a little flatter than usual. It weighed less than an ounce more than when it was perfectly dry.

If you can afford it, buy the WM. It's a no-brainer for the "dry conditions" you mention. Disclaimer: I own neither WM or Kifaru gear.

Synthetic break s down over time and looses it's loft,I went from a kifaru slick bag to a w m badger and I would never go back.Sure my slick bag was an older generation but if you look at posts a couple of years old they were supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread

I have both, and like both. The WM is lighter and warmer.
The Kifaru is way tougher (I have the older style). I have used it outside without a shelter, around the fire, etc.
I use them both depending on what I'm trying to accomplish.

Esse quam videri

OP
C
Tim, hence my commence in Kifaru being a startup in the world of bags. They are kings on the packs, but startups on the bags and like you mentioned, first gens didn't get favorable reviews.

I narrowed it down to the two bags due to size.

I've never had an issue with my synthetic, bimb proof, but looking to cut weight and buy one more bag that they can bury me in.

Synthetic break s down over time and looses it's loft,I went from a kifaru slick bag to a w m badger and I would never go back.Sure my slick bag was an older generation but if you look at posts a couple of years old they were supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread

Jimbo V

WKR
Look at Feathered Friends, comparable to western mountaineering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim, hence my commence in Kifaru being a startup in the world of bags. They are kings on the packs, but startups on the bags and like you mentioned, first gens didn't get favorable reviews.

I narrowed it down to the two bags due to size.

I've never had an issue with my synthetic, bimb proof, but looking to cut weight and buy one more bag that they can bury me in.

While Kifaru does not have the years on them that Western Mountaineering does, to be fair, the Slick Bag you are referring to is not Kifaru's first generation sleeping bags.

Wet down: I got into a hell of an argument years ago with a guy who basically proclaimed anyone using a down bag on goat, sheep and nasty-weather hunts was a complete fool. I think he considered 'down' and 'loft' (and 'warm') to be four-letter words he couldn't tolerate. He berated anyone who tried to claim down was as good or better than syn fill. It was completely ridiculous.

I own WM bags exclusively but don't think I'd have any problem taking a Kifaru bag on a serious hunt. My good friend just bought one and he's anxious to try it out. I do know which brand I'd buy if I had to choose one bag and wanted to count on it a long time. I owned 2 original North Face down bags made back about 1980...USA built and super lofty....Ibex model both. They stood the test of time and were still superior when I sold them...for more than I paid new...about 6 years ago.

I don't want a wet sleeping bag. I chose a WM GWS model to get the Gore fabric. The bag isn't 100% wp (none are) but it does repel actual water far better than traditional ripstop, microfiber and other typical fabrics. And then there is treated goose down which WM doesn't yet use but has proven to retain far less moisture than untreated down. I personally have never bought into the 'synthetic is better in wet environments' thinking. I go with experience and I've not had a wet down bag in 40 years of ownership, backpacking and hunting use.

You know what is funny, when you consider the whole "wet down" comments. Don't we get down from geese, who, you know, hang out in water?

Go figure.

boom

WKR
to be honest..my first generation K-bag purchase was regrettable. i told the story here before, but that thing had the fabric-grabbiest zipper i ever seen. my first pull resulted in my wife having to rescue me. i was cussing and inch-worming around on the bed. wife was laughing. and it was not warm. at all.

i hope and hear the new bags are way better.

i replaced it with a WM alpenlite. so in a short time i spent a lot of money on sleeping bags. that WM is awesome. you have to try to fabric lock the zipper. (i,ve done it once that i can remember) it comes with a storage bag..and a compression bag. my k-bag did not and i had to buy them. BOO!~ not sure what comes with the new K-bag..i'll never know since i am a WM convert. i have the sense to keep the bag dry..so far so good.

OP
C
Thanks for the info. I don't feel like buying again. My last bag was purchased in 2001 and still works fine. I'll head towards WM.