Live2Hunt DIY Sawtooth Review

ianpadron

WKR
Had the chance to use my Sawtooth shelter from William Hanson (Live2Hunt) this past weekend.

Figured everyone would benefit from some pics and my experiences running this shelter so...

I'll keep this thread updated as the seasons keep rolling, stay tuned and feel free to post specific questions.

I reached out regarding the Sawtooth after seeing the Megatarp he whipped up and boy was that a good decision.

I was skeptical about the quality, materials, etc. from a guy making shelters out of his house in Missouri, but after talking to William I figured I'd give him a shot. He hadn't built a Sawtooth yet so it was a shot in the dark, but the $$$ savings and chance to support a small business were tough to ignore.

I got the shelter after about 2 months, as promised, and my first impression was that this shelter is the definition of quality.

I've owned a Cimarron, Jimmy Tarps Alpine Basin, and Kifaru Megatarp. So those are what my comparisons will be based off of going forward.

In terms of build quality/durability I'd rank those 3 as follows... Kifaru #1 Seek Outside #2 Jimmy Tarps #3

On initial quality/feel the DIY Sawtooth from William is every bit the shelter as the Kifaru. Super heavy duty seams, thick no-strech fabric, clean/tight pitch, bombproof zippers, etc. You would not know the difference between the two if they were side by side, and I mean that in all honesty, the quality is truly first class.

c7a4a1a795db6d26125db9c76ce6408d.jpg

(I'm 6'2" for reference)

Thoughts so far...usable space, WOW! Vertical side walls make this thing feel like a castle compared to my old Cimarron (even when pitched off the ground) My gf, Golden Retriever, and I had more room than we knew what to do with this weekend. Can't wait to run it with a stove.

75d9945355ce671c1ebe654c8f4e3343.jpg

07e11440844e2fe553a143dcef4ca934.jpg

That's it so far. Like I said, I'll keep this thread updated with my experiences running this shelter, but so far, I can't imagine a better option for a basecamp shelter for 1 guy or a mobile 2 man setup for rough weather.

7539b6e3e07780a5ab2113dce881ad54.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

reaper

WKR
Wow thats an awesome diy job from Live2Hunt.Can you takes some Pictures of the stove jack and stitches of the shelter??What is the fabric he used?

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Wow thats an awesome diy job from Live2Hunt.Can you takes some Pictures of the stove jack and stitches of the shelter??What is the fabric he used?

Yup absolutely, next time I have it setup I'll grab some close-ups.

I'll let William chime in on the fabric question, but it feels just like the Kifaru stuff, definitely thicker than Seek Outside's Silnylon.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks man I really appreciate the feedback.

The fabric I used is an american made 1.35 oz silnylon.

Here's a close up of the stove jack and jack cover. Sorry that's the closest shot I have of my stitching on the specific shelter.
a8efe40d8722af4a065a0db925442ed0.jpg
c6487620fb671d5ce8861b142c625890.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks man I really appreciate the feedback.

The fabric I used is an american made 1.35 oz silnylon.

Here's a close up of the stove jack and jack cover. Sorry that's the closest shot I have of my stitching on the specific shelter.
a8efe40d8722af4a065a0db925442ed0.jpg
c6487620fb671d5ce8861b142c625890.jpg

EXCELLENT craftsmanship from what I can see. Very impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks amazing. did you have to get permission from kifaru to use their design?
As similar as it looks, I assure you it is not exactly the same as a kifaru sawtooth. I only offer custom built shelters and even if some do seem very similar, they are not exact replicas. I appreciate your concern though.

Clarktar

WKR
Anyone compare cimarron and sawtooth?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

CanJ

FNG
Custom shelter

As similar as it looks, I assure you it is not exactly the same as a kifaru sawtooth. I only offer custom built shelters and even if some do seem very similar, they are not exact replicas. I appreciate your concern though.

How do I get one of those, what does it come with and what’s the cost?