Stove or no?

I don't have a stove yet but plan to add one for the fall. I've done the multiday drizzle from truck campers and know it would suck in a tent w/o a way to dry things. Last year we got away with just frosted mornings but no rain while spike camped. A day or two of drizzle I know a stove would be the mental make/break difference in a hunt. You are much more motivated to still get out and glass when you know you can come back and dry things out.

Edit: Quick question for the stove users. How fast does ash build up that requires emptying?

I used mine a little everyday for two weeks and never emptied mine till I packed to leave.

If you have a hunting partner, split the stove and shelter between the two of you, make it part of your group gear. Makes it much easier to manage.

My whole setup with stove is around 7 or 8 lbs. We do split it up, but it isn't an undue burden when packing alone.

We will be out the last week of the season so don't know what we'll get weatherwise.

Callen21

Lil-Rokslider
Travis,

I would be willing to bet once you get a stove you won't just be burning it for an hour or two before bed. I have a paratarp, hilleberg, and now a seek silver tip. One major plus for the stove isn't just the warmth it gives but it boost morale! It's hard to explain but on windy rainy days where you are stuck in a tent it's refreshing to have something to occupy the time with like stoking a fire. Depending on the stove you get depends on the hassle of setup and weight carried. It also depends on size of sticks you can burn which equates to how long the burn will last. I run a tigoat stove and with the silver tip it is all under 3lbs and the paratarp it's around 2.5 I believe. Both are lighter/warmer options than my hilleberg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

texag10

WKR
Travis,

I would be willing to bet once you get a stove you won't just be burning it for an hour or two before bed. I have a paratarp, hilleberg, and now a seek silver tip. One major plus for the stove isn't just the warmth it gives but it boost morale! It's hard to explain but on windy rainy days where you are stuck in a tent it's refreshing to have something to occupy the time with like stoking a fire. Depending on the stove you get depends on the hassle of setup and weight carried. It also depends on size of sticks you can burn which equates to how long the burn will last. I run a tigoat stove and with the silver tip it is all under 3lbs and the paratarp it's around 2.5 I believe. Both are lighter/warmer options than my hilleberg.

What size TiGoat stove are you using? This is the same setup I'm looking at getting.

Callen21

Lil-Rokslider
What size TiGoat stove are you using? This is the same setup I'm looking at getting.

I run the 12" stove with the smaller pipe for my setup. If you order the paratarp annex ask them to not cut it as the hole will be too large. The 16" stove would work with a super tarp or the tipi and the burn would last longer. The only complaint I have with the 12" is the sticks must be cut down to about 10" in length. That's ok in the silver tip because you can do it out of the rain. If it's crappy weather you will be outside the paratarp cutting small sticks.

Johnboy

WKR
Quick question for the stove users. How fast does ash build up that requires emptying?

I used my size large TiGoat Wifi last September in northern Alaska. We burned exclusively willow, which makes a lot of ash. I dumped the ash daily, but keep in mind that the titanium material sheds heat so quickly that you can almost pick up the stove and dump the ashes before the fire is even entirely out. And the whole process takes about 30 seconds. So it's really a non-issue.

epfd217

FNG
I don't have a stove, yet! Last fall we had 2 days of rain followed by snow and two days of freezing temps when our gear hadn't dried out from the rains, let alone a new coating of wet snow.
It was a terrible couple of days and we made fires in the morning and evening for several days to dry out, warm up and generally for a morale booster. To be able to do that in the comfort of the shelter would've been a game changer. Building a fire, especially one to help dry gear out takes more time and more wood than a stove would burn in 3 days.

My tent and stove order will hopefully placed by the end of the week.

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have a stove, yet! Last fall we had 2 days of rain followed by snow and two days of freezing temps when our gear hadn't dried out from the rains, let alone a new coating of wet snow.
It was a terrible couple of days and we made fires in the morning and evening for several days to dry out, warm up and generally for a morale booster. To be able to do that in the comfort of the shelter would've been a game changer. Building a fire, especially one to help dry gear out takes more time and more wood than a stove would burn in 3 days.

My tent and stove order will hopefully placed by the end of the week.

This is exactly what I have run into more years than not. I bit the bullet and bought a shelter stove combo. Really excited about trying it out in a few weeks on a scouting trip. Frozen boots and wet clothing in the morning makes for a rough day.

1signguy

WKR
After trying everything from tarps to hammocks I have a stove arriving today and a Sawtooth some time in the next couple weeks... Really looking forward to upgrading my camp to "a camp of culture"... Maybe its because I am getting older but having a warm and dry spot to relax and enjoy camp is an enormous upgrade! A warm place to get dressed in dry clothes and boots in the am- priceless!

Should have done this years ago!