Stove baffle

krojemann

WKR
I can't seem to find much information on stove baffles. But I'm going to be purchasing a Lite Outdoors stove and can't decide if I should purchase a baffle or not. Does anyone have any first hand experience with these baffles? Do they increase the burn time quite a bit? Is it worth the extra cost & weight? Does it restrict the amount of wood you can load up? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

reaper

WKR
Go without one...i don't think it worth.It will kill all the sparks\ember getting in the pipe,this is the only positive side from a baffle on titanium or SS stoves with this sizes.This my opinion only.

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
I've heard they are worth it, but haven't used one so take that with a grain of salt, if I was ordering one I'd get it. It's only $20 more.

They allow you a much better control of your burn rate/heat output. How much longer a burn you get depends greatly on the volume of the stove.

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
I have the baffle in my Lite Outdoors 18" and wouldnt run it without it. I was able to get 4 hrs on a burn and it could have went longer, thats just when i got up to pee and threw a couple more logs on. From my experience it keeps heat in the stove longer by not allowing it to go straight up the flu pipe. Aslo keep the embers contained in the stove. Its 20bucks, get it and try it both ways. For the nominal increase in weight i think it got me an extra couple hrs burn time. I havent found a downside yet. Maybe a little extra smoke out the front intill you get a clean burn going because of the way the baffle reroutes the exhaust. Best way i found to go about this is, Ill start the fire when i get back to camp. Open the tent up to get the smoke out intill i get a bed of coals. Ill close up the tent then and throw a couple wrist size logs on and go cook dinner. When i get back in i have a big bed of hot coals, no smoke and ill toss a couple more on and go to sleep. Depending on size of red hot coals you can get hours out of it without stoking. I also turn the exhaust damper to about half and also the door damper to half to control the burn while asleep or when i want a longer burn.

I have the 18" LO stove with the dampener.
As stated above the only downside is really the extra smoke when you start a fire or stoke the fire.

I don't really like that, especially late at night when the stove is almost out and its cold and you put some wood in to warm it up and it smokes for 5 minutes.... in a small tent that's a lot of smoke.

With that said, the cost and weight are minimal.
What it does do is really prevent sparks from escaping up and into the forest or onto your tipi/tent

LO just introduced a ned spark arrestor a while back, I have one and will be using it in place of the baffle on the early hunts.
But on late hunts when I plan to run the stove a lot, I will use the baffle.
It doesn't reduce the load of wood in the stove at all.
I do believe it yields more burn time depending on the type and size of wood you use.

In short- it has its place, like all back country gear, everything is specific in its purpose and usually not do all type of equipment.

I always run a baffle as high on the pipe as I can, doing so helps with having plenty of smoke capture chamber (so to speak), if you run it low, you can have smoke back up and escape the stove, into the tent.

My baffle is 1 inch or so from top
The pipe is about ot 1/2 from that

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
I ran it both ways
Reverse is better

This makes a ton of sense... thanks for mentioning this. I used to have a bumper pull BBQ pit with this exact set up and it was the most efficient smoker I've ever owned or used, but I probably would have never thought about that design in this application.

As stated. It drives the smoke towards the frt door with the baffle installed backwards or opposite the conventional way, so when you open the door, the smoke is right there. It isn't that bad as long as the fire is cooking good, but when you have a cooler fire and try to stoke it, you will see the effects of the backward installation until it gets going again.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As stated. It drives the smoke towards the frt door with the baffle installed backwards or opposite the conventional way, so when you open the door, the smoke is right there. It isn't that bad as long as the fire is cooking good, but when you have a cooler fire and try to stoke it, you will see the effects of the backward installation until it gets going again.

Wouldn't the reverse installation (with the baffle opening in the rear) cause a draft to the rear of the stove such that even when opened it draws the smoke? The normal way wit the opening at the front seems like it would have smoke issues when the door is opened. But I rely on your guys first hand experience as I haven't ordered one yet, just making sure I'm understanding right.

The reverse set up calls for the stove pipe to be at the front near the stove door opening rather than the rear as normal, with the large cut out on the baffle to be to the rear of the stove body.

colonel00

WKR
Interesting. I've thought about the reverse flow smoker concept before on these stoves. I'd love to see some photos and even some dimensions if possible for anyone that has one. With as big as the doors are on the LO stoves, when setup for revers flow doesn't the smoke come along the baffle and then out the door when you open it?

Also, has anyone run a 12" baffle in an 18" stove? Just curious if there were any issues with this. I wouldn't think so but you never know.

For anyone curious, here's a basic image of the concept of reverse flow in a smoker:

c11cecf8469e937f1c9a4b4888605035.gif

Yes as Mentioned you get some smoke when opening door
Here are some pictures of the reverse setup showing you the orientation of the baffle as well as the new spark arrestor installed at the bottom of my stove pipe

I am going to try the stove without the baffle and see how Smokey it is
48ba1d80ec0c180eed43b7e109edd8bf.jpg
2433cb552aa6bb388fb50b585f7ff8d0.jpg
078a767c47188fc49e25c3c3b6e45020.jpg
8c3a649082a6c8b3711003d985246181.jpg
eefa0488e47413e47134bf21acdda40e.jpg

Picture 2 shows the baffle out side the stove and the orientation of the big Notch versus the little Notch and how they would go

colonel00

WKR
So does the baffle roll up just like the body? I'm just curious how those angles hold up

Yes the baffle, stove pipe and stove body all roll up in one roll and fit in their own bag.
So far it is holding up fine. The seams are just folder over and don't take any force on them when rolled