Hudson Tipi (Jimmy Tarp)

Read1t48

WKR
I saw some pretty cool pictures online of Jimmy Tarp's new "Hudson Tipi". Looks very nice and spacious...almost 10x10, similar to the Tut 4 man, but shorter in height. Still looks tall enough for a chair. Less than 2lbs. Look like a great solo shelter and looks big enough for two guys and a stove (stove jack and hiking pole extender come with tipi).

Anybody have a chance to try one or see one in person or have additional pics or feedback to share? I heard Jimmy was going to be at the NW Mountain Challenge in Hoodoo, OR this coming weekend. Going to be a good shoot for those that can make it.

For those that have used a pyramid style before, do they need to be on flat ground for good pitch more so than a standard tipi or tarp?

reaper

WKR
9,4x9,4x62" 310$ intro price.
f4e7f63eeef1b3d098edde46b26f1fdc.jpg

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk

I received mine Friday in Coyote Brown. It is TOP SHELF. It is exactly what I wanted. Light, Waterproof after seam sealing, Huge for one person, awesome for two. Stakes out tight and seals good to the ground if you want it too. Plenty tall for chair setting around the peak.

I took it with me over the weekend and stayed in if. I didn't have time to seam seal it. It rained hard before I got there and the humidity was very high in NC. I set it up for the first time, in the dark and light rain in less than 10 minutes. I slept well in it and vented it after the rain through the stove jack. Very little condensation. I took it up first thing Saturday and let the sun dry the wet grass I set it up on. ZERO condensation Saturday Night.

Build Quality is great. I ordered it on Saturday and received it on Friday. He had to make it too. So he was VERY quick in getting it to me. I like the straight side Pyramid design. Every inch inside is usable. Guy outs are perfectly placed. I set it up Monday in my yard as it rained on it Sunday and I had to put it up wet. It took me all of 5 minutes start to finish this time. And, my yard is about a 15% slope. Still sealed well and was VERY taunt. The bottom is not Cat cut like Silnylon products because the silpoly does not require it for a tight pitch to stay tight. The build is top quality and, the choice of material compliments it resulting in tent that stays taunt, seals well with even bottoms when you want it too, and is very sturdy.

Like all of Jimmy's stuff, it is affordable and built with function in mind. He's a backpacking hunter and, knows what works and what is just cosmetic. Also, he designed and built a good shelter you could take on a car camping trip too. It really is a castle in there. It's just a great, affordable, working man option for someone looking for a multiple purpose tent. He is going to the Challenge and, he has some sewed up ready. For the price, they'll go VERY quick. So, If you are entertaining one, I'd get to his booth ASAP.

I took some pics on my phone but, I cannot get them to post off of it. God Bless

Last edited:
Plenty big enough for two and a stove. The guy on the left going in the door, will have to watch flinging his bag around. He's losing some space due to the stove jack location. But, If the stove was facing the right or straight back, there'd be plenty of room. God Bless

mcseal2

WKR
Just ordered one of these myself, can't wait to get it in. Anyone know what height stove pipe this shelter will need? I have a Kifaru Parastove with a longer pipe for my Megatarp but am guessing I'll need more for this. I do a lot of camping and fishing off sandbars on a nearby river. I've been using the Megatarp which works fine but this looks quicker and easier to set up. I love floorless shelters for living on sandbars, clean-up is so much simpler than a floored tent.

A buddy and I are going on an Alaskan drop camp moose hunt in 2018. Our transporter has tents that come with the camp package he provides with the hunt, saves us shipping all our gear up there. The provided tents are Cabelas or North Face standard tents good for the wet environment. If we have some weather days though, having the Hudson with the little stove might make for a much nicer place to ride it out, dry gear, etc. A couple bag chairs are also provided by the transporter, is there enough height to put a couple chairs by the center pole and sit in it?

A bag chair being one of the camping chairs everyone uses? I'd say no for two. It just isn't tall enough for that. Due to only being 62 inches high, you'd have to put the chairs back to back, each tight against the trekking pole, instead of facing. Now, blind stool's or chaisr, two of those would work.

AdamW

WKR
Does Jimmy have website or is it just facebook and ebay? I'd like more information on these!

FB, ebay and instagram. I was messaging them through Facebook and depending on the message I heard back in 6 hours or so. Also have an email address posted which is [email protected].

If you post up your questions here some other nerds may know the info.