Hudson Tipi (Jimmy Tarp)

Tbob

Lil-Rokslider
I've looked all over and can't find a price.. How much is this thing?

dog812

WKR
From his FB page.
33a27c3a0558ea8ed1e21b6b9cbd7b1e.jpg

I notice these don't have vents like other Mids, how much does that impact condensation?

AdamW

WKR
I notice these don't have vents like other Mids, how much does that impact condensation?

I'm hopefully only a couple weeks away from my Hudson/TiGoat stove combo and will be finding out. Seems like bottom ventilation is the key but we'll see!

I'm not sure what you guys need to know that hasn't been said. There is no roof vent unless you aren't running the stove. I use the stove jack to vent. Its reliable, well built, and works like any other single walled tent. The only difference is it is bigger and weighs less than any other single walled TIPI tent. it has one door. Zips from the bottom to almost the peak. And condensation isn't an issue as long as you let the tent breath with some space on the bottom. Just like any other single walled tent.

I've slept in mine for 4 days since the 30th of September. Temps ranged from 25 at night to 38 at night. Day time highs were from 50's up through the mid 80's. No condensation issues at all. But, it has been dry here too. I pitched it relatively tight. However, my quilt did have some on it the coolest night where my breath was hitting it. That's all I know to say. God Bless

How does this thing compare to some of the other tipi's out there? I'm looking for a shelter for second season elk hunting in Colorado. It would need to sleep at least 2 guys with a stove and maybe a third person. I would also like it to double as a family tent just camping in Texas with my wife and 2 small children.

Three and a stove would be tight. Two and gear with a stove would be very comfortable. One and a stove is a castle.

It is a floor less tent so, whether it would work for you and the family depends on the size of your kids and, whether you like floor less tents. I use a silnylon ground cloth that is 8 feet long and 4 feet wide. Plenty of room to get my gear and, my sleep stuff off the wet ground. Ironically, I did buy this tent with use in mind with me and the wife, on certain trips. But, she is a country girl and, was raised on a farm. So, she doesn't require amenity's to survive or, be bearable. There are no doubt better options for family trips than this but, I don't think any pyramid TIPI tent fits that purpose any better.

Its light, packs small, keeps you dry after seam sealing, and serves as a great option for back country spike camps, as a base camp for a guy that doesn't need an RV to be comfortable, and fits the bill for bivy hunts where you camp where ever dark finds you due to its weight and small pack size. For these purposes, it is going to be hard to beat. Plus, its big enough that foul weather that sends you in for the wait, won't drive you crazy staring at the ceiling. God Bless

Thanks for your input, I have a 17 month old boy and another boy on the way, my wife is a country girl also so I don't think she would mind a floor less shelter as long as we had some sort of ground sheet to keep somethings out of the dirt. As the kids got bigger I'm sure I would have to upgrade to something a little bigger. For the Colorado elk hunt, there are 3 maybe 4 of us going, my thinking is that if I bought this tipi and a Seek outside medium stove I could be around the 4.5 pound mark and be able to cook on it if needed. My brother in law and I could share the load and stay in this and the other 2 guys can figure out their own shelter. I have talked to him about just splitting the cost between the 2 of us. If I was to do a solo trip I think I could handle the load by myself. I don't really want to spend a whole lot of money on a huge shelter so everyone else can sleep it and leave me with the cost and not be able to use it on a solo or 2 person hunt. I would rather buy a shelter to use for a spike camp hunt and camping from the bed of the truck rather than have a huge tent that can only be used out of the truck.

AdamW

WKR
***See below for new info from Jimmy***

Anyone with a Hudson having trouble getting it pitched taught? The tightest pitch I can get is with only the 4 corners staked out and even then the corner seams (at least any 2 of them) bow in pretty drastically. If I use any of the intermediate ground points or the guys outs, the whole thing deflates even worse. I'm scratching my head.

I sent Jimmy a message and some pictures for some insight, just curious if anyone else ran in to this. I'll report back.

Last edited:
First off, is your trekking pole tall enough to stretch it taunt? Second, if you do not pitch it relatively square, it will have this problem. Third, if you over tighten the guy outs, it collapses the corners. And last, make sure the handle of your trekking pole is in the sleeve center of the peak. If not it will cause this.

I'm betting the corners are not pitched square. Pull all the corners taunt and stake it. Don't caddie corner it. Start at one and go all the way around and get the 4 corners in the same direction, in the order you come to them. Then, stake the mid walls. it should want to stake in line and not go out farther or fall inside of the two corners. Insert trekking pole. Then go around and slightly snug the guy outs. It should be taunt and right unless the ground is not level.

Last edited:

AdamW

WKR
Jimmy comes through and on a Sunday! He messaged me back and said to pitch everything as tight as I could get it then see if there was any room to raise the pole at all and if so he'd send me a longer extension. Pitch was square, ground was flat, extension/pole combo wasn't long enough to get it done. It was close before enough to get it "snug" but not enough to get it "tight".

It looks like if your trekking poles extend to at least 145 cm, you're good to go with the 9" extension that comes with the Hudson. If your poles are only 135 cm (several companies make a 135 version and a 145) you'll either need to max out your poles, prop something under your pole/extension, or get a longer extension from Jimmy/make one to suit your setup. Jimmy is hooking me up so I think I'm all set. Ready to burn the stove in now!

Last edited:
Jimmy comes through and on a Sunday! He messaged me back and said to pitch everything as tight as I could get it then see if there was any room to raise the pole at all and if so he'd send me a longer extension. Pitch was square, ground was flat, extension/pole combo wasn't long enough to get it done. It was close before enough to get it "snug" but not enough to get it "tight".

It looks like if your trekking poles extend to at least 145 cm, you're good to go with the 9" extension that comes with the Hudson. If your poles are only 135 cm (several companies make a 135 version and a 145) you'll either need to max out your poles, prop something under your pole/extension, or get a longer extension from Jimmy/make one to suit your setup. Jimmy is hooking me up so I think I'm all set. Ready to burn the stove in now!
I did everything mentioned in the last post as far as the way I staked mine out than measured the pole to make sure it was 61" and I cannot get the corner seams tight

Last edited:

texag10

WKR
For those having issues with trekking pole extensions, seek outside's trekking pole hitch might be the ticket. I bought it for use with my SO silvertip because I use black diamond Z poles and they don't work too well with extenders due to short tip length. I could not get them to work right by just lashing together with cordage either. The way this works is solid, simple and you can just throw it in with your shelter's stuff sack when not in use.

Last edited: