Hudson Tipi (Jimmy Tarp)

AdamW

WKR
Things have been busy at work, holidays, I've been working on a basement finishing project, deer hunting, excuses, excuses, etc.

Today I had some free time so I just went out back in the woods on the back side of our yard where we have a dog romping yard to set up the Hudson and burn in my medium wifi stove from TiGoat. Had a bunch of small wood blocks from pre-cut wall studs and burnt some hickory and oak twigs as well to play with the stove.

Pitch wasn't ideal, but pretty good and the longer pole extension from Jimmy was a big help.

The pitch.

2lidlkw.jpg

And the first stove setup inside. The stove pipe I ordered with my wifi is 7 feet long and reaches just to the top of the pic. I ordered it long to be safe and I think I'll just leave it as is instead of trimming it down.

30lcx9x.jpg

Nice tight stove jack to pipe fit on the first try. The jack comes with the silpoly not cut off it on the inside in case you don't want to use the jack or not use it right away at least.

2el5og3.jpg

Outside view of the stove jack. The silpoly cover rolls up and is secured by a small piece of weather-resistant hook and loop.

2yuhjiw.jpg

TiGoat throwin' some BTUs. Even got the wife to come out and sit with me for a minute.

xddwqq.jpg

My preliminary thoughts just based on playing with the setup so far:

1. Quality of craftsmanship, materials, etc. all seems great out of the package and this thing is impressively light weight. I took my square of silpoly that I cut out of the stove jack square and did the "slit and and rip it" test to see how tear resistant it feels. I'd like to compare it to a sample of the Kifaru material without cutting up one of my pull outs or game bags. :D

2. I'd like to see the stove jack on the side opposite the door zipper as shown in my picture. This would give you more options of where a solo person could sleep without having to maneuver around the stove. If I rotated the stove 90 degrees, I could lay with my head by the zipper (body oriented east/west in picture) for easiest entry and exit. But, if the jack were on the other side, I could also lay with my feet at the zipper (body oriented north/south in picture) without having the stove pipe on my "half" of the shelter, if that makes sense. I may be missing something that makes this a non-issue.

3. The stove jack is kind of small, enough that it makes me a little nervous being my first stove shelter. The silpoly is about 1" (or maybe a bit less) away from the stove pipe and that is if I angle the pipe away from the shelter a bit. I may talk to Jimmy to see if I can buy a maybe 6x8" piece of jack material with a piece of female velcro at the top that I can cut a U-notch in to fit over the stove pipe for some extra protection. May be a non-issue, but if I get the stove rolling I'd like to be better safe than sorry for the tiny weight penalty. I took a piece of the silpoly and touched it to the pipe by the jack when it was burning and it shrunk a little, but no melting, etc.

4. Guy outs on the corner seams? I know pyramids aren't the most wind-worthy so they might be nice to have. Maybe. Interested to see how it does in the wind.

5. The size is pretty nice overall and the height is just enough for you to stand and put on your pants, etc. if you duck your head. I think the height is a good balance of low profile and ability to stretch your legs.

6. The door has a middle tie for tying it halfway open and a lower tie for tying it all the way open. Reversing those or adding an additional tie to support the material when it is fully open would be nice tweak.

Overall, pretty slick little system so far based on my playing with it, looking forward to getting it in the field, maybe as soon as this weekend. Jimmy has been great to correspond with and in case there's any question, I paid full price obviously and this is my first Jimmy Tarps product.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Is it just MY eyes, or does your center pole have a pretty substantial bow in it in the second pic? I'm thinking about one of those WiFi stoves myself.

Things have been busy at work, holidays, I've been working on a basement finishing project, deer hunting, excuses, excuses, etc.

Today I had some free time so I just went out back in the woods on the back side of our yard where we have a dog romping yard to set up the Hudson and burn in my medium wifi stove from TiGoat. Had a bunch of small wood blocks from pre-cut wall studs and burnt some hickory and oak twigs as well to play with the stove.

Pitch wasn't ideal, but pretty good and the longer pole extension from Jimmy was a big help.

The pitch.

2lidlkw.jpg

And the first stove setup inside. The stove pipe I ordered with my wifi is 7 feet long and reaches just to the top of the pic. I ordered it long to be safe and I think I'll just leave it as is instead of trimming it down.

30lcx9x.jpg

Nice tight stove jack to pipe fit on the first try. The jack comes with the silpoly not cut off it on the inside in case you don't want to use the jack or not use it right away at least.

2el5og3.jpg

Outside view of the stove jack. The silpoly cover rolls up and is secured by a small piece of weather-resistant hook and loop.

2yuhjiw.jpg

TiGoat throwin' some BTUs. Even got the wife to come out and sit with me for a minute.

xddwqq.jpg

My preliminary thoughts just based on playing with the setup so far:

1. Quality of craftsmanship, materials, etc. all seems great out of the package and this thing is impressively light weight. I took my square of silpoly that I cut out of the stove jack square and did the "slit and and rip it" test to see how tear resistant it feels. I'd like to compare it to a sample of the Kifaru material without cutting up one of my pull outs or game bags. :D

2. I'd like to see the stove jack on the side opposite the door zipper as shown in my picture. This would give you more options of where a solo person could sleep without having to maneuver around the stove. If I rotated the stove 90 degrees, I could lay with my head by the zipper (body oriented east/west in picture) for easiest entry and exit. But, if the jack were on the other side, I could also lay with my feet at the zipper (body oriented north/south in picture) without having the stove pipe on my "half" of the shelter, if that makes sense. I may be missing something that makes this a non-issue.

3. The stove jack is kind of small, enough that it makes me a little nervous being my first stove shelter. The silpoly is about 1" (or maybe a bit less) away from the stove pipe and that is if I angle the pipe away from the shelter a bit. I may talk to Jimmy to see if I can buy a maybe 6x8" piece of jack material with a piece of female velcro at the top that I can cut a U-notch in to fit over the stove pipe for some extra protection. May be a non-issue, but if I get the stove rolling I'd like to be better safe than sorry for the tiny weight penalty. I took a piece of the silpoly and touched it to the pipe by the jack when it was burning and it shrunk a little, but no melting, etc.

4. Guy outs on the corner seams? I know pyramids aren't the most wind-worthy so they might be nice to have. Maybe. Interested to see how it does in the wind.

5. The size is pretty nice overall and the height is just enough for you to stand and put on your pants, etc. if you duck your head. I think the height is a good balance of low profile and ability to stretch your legs.

6. The door has a middle tie for tying it halfway open and a lower tie for tying it all the way open. Reversing those or adding an additional tie to support the material when it is fully open would be nice tweak.

Overall, pretty slick little system so far based on my playing with it, looking forward to getting it in the field, maybe as soon as this weekend. Jimmy has been great to correspond with and in case there's any question, I paid full price obviously and this is my first Jimmy Tarps product.

AdamW

WKR
Ahhh good catch and I meant to mention.The standard trekking pole extension is 9”. I asked Jimmy for a longer one as mentioned a couple posts back and it is extra long at 18”. I could trim it down and adjust the trekking pole longer. The bow or kink you are seeing is the “slop” in the fit between my trekking pole and the extension; the diameter of the extension is bigger than the tip of the pole. It sits inside the extension 3” or so. It is secure but would be less drastic of a kink if I extended the pole and shortened the extension. Make sense? This was the first time trying the new extension before I get wild cutting pieces down.

Last edited:

gumbl3

WKR

Access Denied

Just an option that easy to find at H.D. or hardware stores

sneaky

"DADDY"
Ahhh good catch and I meant to mention.The standard trekking pole extension is 9”. I asked Jimmy for a longer one as mentioned a couple posts back and it is extra long at 18”. I could trim it down and adjust the trekking pole longer. The bow or kink you are seeing is the “slop” in the fit between my trekking pole and the extension; the diameter of the extension is bigger than the tip of the pole. It sits inside the extension 3” or so. It is secure but would be less drastic of a kink if I extended the pole and shortened the extension. Make sense? This was the first time trying the new extension before I get wild cutting pieces down.

Gotcha. Have you looked into the pole extensions from Ruta Locura? They make them to fit your pole tips so there won't be that slop in the fit. Pretty reasonably price as well, and they do multiple lengths.

AdamW

WKR
I have not. It seems to work fine and is stable. So long as it is holding the shelter up I’m fine with it. :D

gabenzeke

WKR
How wind worthy is this shelter? And is that stove jack cut too tight? Don't want a hot pipe flailing around the tent in the wind in the middle of the night...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

dog812

WKR
It will be hard to keep a fire going through the night.. Depending on your stove.. But lite outdoors it's about 20 mins without feeding. So no need to worry.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

gabenzeke

WKR
Well, I guess what I imagined was sitting through a nasty storm and feeding the fire only to have the stove pipe start swinging around the tipi while it's red hot. Also curious about the storm worthiness of the shelter itself.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Cdpp880

WKR
Anybody have any pics of this shelter with 2 pads and maybe two back packs in it? Really like the idea of this tent just wondering how much room it has for two guys a stove and gear.

AdamW

WKR
Anybody have any pics of this shelter with 2 pads and maybe two back packs in it? Really like the idea of this tent just wondering how much room it has for two guys a stove and gear.

I don't have a pic of that set up, but 2 guys, stove, gear and wood would be no issue.

ianpadron

WKR
I have not. It seems to work fine and is stable. So long as it is holding the shelter up I’m fine with it. :D

I said the same thing about a less than perfect fit on my trekking pole extender...until it snapped into pieces during a windstorm. Carbon fiber+bending/slop=no bueno.

Lawnboi

WKR
AdamW just adding some experience from having a pipe that's too long. I suggest cutting it. Any wind and you will quickly understand why. Not only is the wind going to push the pipe around and prematurely wear your stove jack, enough wind and your stove can be knocked over. I speak from experience with a pipe that was only a few feet too long, waking up with a stove pipe in your lap is no fun.

AdamW

WKR
Thanks for the input guys, I'll take those in to consideration.