Kifaru Slick Bag or WM Sycamore MF

WyoRob

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for a 20-30 degree bag and have narrowed it down to these two bags. Any opinions?

Never seen the WM but love my Slick Bag. Bought the 20* to use year round and will stick my Woobie inside if I expect super low temps. No regrets with it so far.

Davebuech

WKR
Down vs synthetic.... aside from that.

I have the Sycamore and love that bag! I find it very versatile and usually the bag I take most of the time. Has a full zip so you can open it fully in warm weather like a quilt, plus it is plenty roomy when zipped. Very light weight, compressible and WARM. I sleep warm but am comfortable down into the upper teens with this bag and a good pad. By the same token when using like a quilt it is good in the 40-s &50's. I have a wobble that I use for extra insulation if needed when it's colder or another bag altogether for the really cold nights.

If you want a down bag, WM IMO makes one of, if not, the best.

I haven't ever used a WM bag, but I do have a Kifaru slick 20 degree. For me, I will own both someday. If you do more early season stuff I would lean towards a synthetic like the kifaru 20 degree slick bag.

Try a quilt before you buy either. Seriously...borrow one for a night to test it out. You will never crawl into a bag again.

mcseal2

WKR
Never tried a true quilt, I use the Kifaru 20 degree wide slickbag in colder temps. I'm always just worried enough about getting down wet to pack a synthetic bag. I am careful with my bag and have never got it wet, but still like synthetic just in case.

If I can get by with it I love just using a Hill People Gear Mountain Serape as my bag. After using this I can see why the quilt guys like the freedom, it works as a half zip bag leaving your upper body free and having plenty of room for your lower body. I have used it (unintentionally at the time) on nights that dipped into the mid-30's and stayed comfortable. It was on a fishing trip in Canada, camped by a lake in boreal forest. A cold rainy few days that wasn't forecast hit. I didn't have a puffy jacket on that trip but did have a softshell, poly hoody, and liner gloves. I slept in a Kifaru Megatarp with my softshell jacket zipped over the footbox, Sitka base layers, and the poly hoody on with the hood up. I was glad to have everything but slept well and wasn't uncomfortable. I like using the Serape instead of a puffy hunting if I plan to glass a long time and am not super weight conscious. I also love it when spending long hours on stand for whitetail, I can drape it over my whole body and have a giant warm dead air space around me. Not great for super cold sleeping bag use, but very multi-purpose.

Two very different bags for two very different uses/climates. I love my WM down bags, but if I think it may be wet, the Kifaru is what's coming along. I end up using the Slick much more than any other bag I own, just cause I know I won't die (or become very miserable!) in it once it gets wet.

Two very different bags for two very different uses/climates. I love my WM down bags, but if I think it may be wet, the Kifaru is what's coming along. I end up using the Slick much more than any other bag I own, just cause I know I won't die (or become very miserable!) in it once it gets wet.

Are the temp ratings more accurate on the newer version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
i couldnt stand my first gen Slick 20..i sold it and bought the WM alpenlite and it was a game changer and really showed me what i like in a bag. the zipper alone made the purchase worth it.

i kinda think anyone with a bag can unzip it and get a decent feel if they could deal with a quilt. i do it all the time.

I'd say the Slick ratings are pretty spot on. I use the 0 degree more than anything and can't say that I've ever been cold in it, but also cannot say I've used it when it was 0. Used it many times from 10 and up to 30-40 though with no issues.

The 20 degree has never left me cold either, but have much less time in that one than my 0.

The ratings on WM bags are spot on and may even be a touch warmer than advertised.

Most of the hunting I do now a days seems to have unpredictable weather and I feel much more comfortable with a synthetic bag.

The center zip on the Slick is nice too, sometimes I use the bag upside down and just drape it over me like you would a quilt I suppose, that is nice on warmer evenings.