1 pole floorless

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
I've searched every brand I can think of: Mountain Laurel, Kifaru, seek outside, bear paw, my trail, tarp tent, jimmy tarps, etc. what I'm wanting is a floorless shelter, with zippered access that I don't have to crawl into, goes up with 1 trekking pole (or trekking pole extender), won't break the bank (less than 300), walls that are approx 3-4" off the ground or lower, big enough for someone 6'2" and gear.

What you got? any little known companies or start ups I'm missing? I've got a few possibles of the companies I listed. But what else is out there?

R_burg

WKR
Plenty of these out there. You are just asking for it at a price point that doesn't exist.

colonel00

WKR
Plenty of these out there. You are just asking for it at a price point that doesn't exist.

That and a shelter that goes up with one pole that you don't have to crawl into? Maybe get extra long trekking pole? :D

blutooth

Lil-Rokslider
What about the new Jimmy tarps Hudson? 1 trekking pole with extender, 9'-4" square, and stove jack I think it's zippered access? I saw he is offering them for $310 right now.

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
the silvertip the hudson tipi and the new granite mountian are on my list was just wondering if i missed any other vendors or products out there

What about the new Jimmy tarps Hudson? 1 trekking pole with extender, 9'-4" square, and stove jack I think it's zippered access? I saw he is offering them for $310 right now.

This is what I was going to suggest. Seems like it fits for the parameters you have.

I think a member here had a thread about him testing one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dog812

WKR
The lbo is 64" pinned to the ground. You can raise it as high as you want, to get the height you want, just add some cordage.

oldgoat

WKR
They make an aluminum joint that allows you to connect two ski poles together. Think you can buy them from TiGoat.

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone know if the knew granite mountain shelter if you can stake it tighter to the ground? Would the only thing you'd change is lower the pole height allowing the sides to stake lower? I guess you'd lose a little space by doing that? I like the overall design but concerned about too much air flow. I know the lower it is will lead to more condensation but I'd be fine with that.

oldgoat

WKR
Does anyone know if the knew granite mountain shelter if you can stake it tighter to the ground? Would the only thing you'd change is lower the pole height allowing the sides to stake lower? I guess you'd lose a little space by doing that? I like the overall design but concerned about too much air flow. I know the lower it is will lead to more condensation but I'd be fine with that.
Jimmy responds to questions pretty good, ask him, you might even be able to get him to change dimensions, seems to be a great guy, he's on Facebook and Instagram

KJH

WKR
http://appytrails.com/tents/products/mark-v-3-5-person/

I've only seen one once and it was just a quick look. I ran into a guy on a turkey hunt with one. He seemed to like it. They aren't real expensive. I don't see 5 people in that thing though.

I just ordered one a few weeks ago for my kids (the newer version with a zipper and more tie-outs). Here's my 2 two cents- You get a lot for the $129 price tag. The pole that comes with it isn't very good, but I didn't expect a great pole. Ultralight. No way to sleep 5 people- 2 comfortably. 3 max and crowded. The zipper isn't as bad as the web makes it out to be. If you use 2 trekking poles on the outsides sides (optional) it is even better. It will stand about 6'2" if its a couple inches off the ground, but you can't walk around without ducking if you leave the middle.

They have a few nights in it now and it made it through a serious windstorm without a problem. It was as dry as any other single wall tent. I'm in the process of adding a stove jack and 4 more places for tent stakes. After that, I'm comfortable it will last several years of the kids abuse... then they can get something with their own money!

Honestly, I was prepared to be very disappointed but I can say I'm pleasantly surprised. I'd say it meets most of your requirements. Give it a try.

UtahJimmy

WKR

The Granite does not have guy lines on the long, straight side. So they are staked directly to the ground. Put that edge toward the windward side and you're good to go. Only had condensation once and that was because I was sleeping on snow and didn't have enough breeze. Like you said, drop the pole a little and you can get it pretty tight but it eats up all your head space. I like pitching it higher anyways!

8e38df37bf936127c3c48410fc190865.jpg

5601af040f8deadee2551a176327ec57.jpg

Last edited: