Need some stove opinions

Buying a Redcliff and trying to decide if I want a medium WIFI stove or a large seek outside stove. I cannot for the life of me figure out the weight difference by reading because one might include the weight of everything including the bag. What do y'all believe the best option would be? I really want a box stove just don't know the pros and cons of those brands. My plan is to buy one tent/stove setup for 2+ people backpacking and truck/boat camping. Going everywhere from Texas to Arkansas, Colorado, California and Alaska.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tsnider

WKR
id get the SXL over the large personally, especially for the backpack aspect. i use the medium SO in my sawtooth and it does a great job. the Redcliff isnt much bigger i dont believe. Id keep the stove to a medium or SXL, and when your truck camping just bring a saw to cut bigger wood so it burns longer. I personally carry a QiWiz saw backpacking to cut the bigger stuff and get long burn times.

Best I can offer is I used a 16'' TI Goat in my Redcliffe and it will heat you too death if you want.

OP
LIWolverine
id get the SXL over the large personally, especially for the backpack aspect. i use the medium SO in my sawtooth and it does a great job. the Redcliff isnt much bigger i dont believe. Id keep the stove to a medium or SXL, and when your truck camping just bring a saw to cut bigger wood so it burns longer. I personally carry a QiWiz saw backpacking to cut the bigger stuff and get long burn times.

Why would you pick the SXL over the Large for backpacking? I would think it would be the opposite. This is my first stove and floorless so I am just learning.

Akicita

WKR
Why would you pick the SXL over the Large for backpacking? I would think it would be the opposite. This is my first stove and floorless so I am just learning.

I chose the SXL for my Redcliff and without a doubt have no reason to believe anything else would be better. 100+ nights in it all four seasons.

20161028_061453_resized_zpsgnbg7mnf.jpg

StoveWeight_zpsdjnx0dkl.jpg

Last edited:

Akicita

WKR
Akicita do you have two dampeners in your stove pipe?

The one on top is the traditional damper and the one on the bottom is a spark arrestor screen setup like a damper. When the suet builds up on the screen from pithy or damp wood I can simply give it a spin or two and it knocks it all off (even during a full stoke). No more smoke filled tent from a clogged arrestor screen.

Daniel_M

WKR
Check out the Lite Outdoors.

Huge door.
Internal baffle option that nails efficiency, i don't even see ash/ember exiting the pipe in use.
Pipe Dampener.

The 18" w/ ~7ft pipe is 2lb13oz.

Tsnider

WKR
for some reason i had it in my head the SXL was lighter weight. been a while since i check that out. so i take that back. personally id go with the medium like i did and have no regrets.

I have the SO 18 with baffle and spark arrestor in the Redcliffe
Great combo

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I own the Cimarron with the MED stove. It has performed well for me the past 6 months. Although if I was to do it again I would look in to the LO 18'' cylinder stove for two reasons. The length of the stove allows you to put ~6" more wood in to it, and thy cylinder consolidates the coals a little better from what I have heard from others. Either way every stove has pros/cons and they will all work just fine.

OP
LIWolverine
I own the Cimarron with the MED stove. It has performed well for me the past 6 months. Although if I was to do it again I would look in to the LO 18'' cylinder stove for two reasons. The length of the stove allows you to put ~6" more wood in to it, and thy cylinder consolidates the coals a little better from what I have heard from others. Either way every stove has pros/cons and they will all work just fine.

Good info. I believe after more deliberation I have decided to go with the LO 18".

OP
LIWolverine
Check out the Lite Outdoors.

Huge door.
Internal baffle option that nails efficiency, i don't even see ash/ember exiting the pipe in use.
Pipe Dampener.

The 18" w/ ~7ft pipe is 2lb13oz.

Yeah I think I've talked myself into this one.

Colberjs

WKR
Does anybody have a picture of the LO Med. packed up and ready to put in your pack? Curious how that works. Thanks.

Also, what about baffles? Should I pay extra for them? Do they affect how much wood you can put in them?

LaGriz

WKR
Purchased the large Wi-Fi and really like it. Quality product. My thinking was I wanted a flat top stove, and the ability to burn longer wood. Stove is very light, but the 3 1/8" pipe has more weight than a pipe on a smaller Ti-Goat model. Must take into consideration that a longer pipe of this size will have a weight penalty. Especially so for a taller shelter that requires a longer pipe. LaGriz

Daniel_M

WKR
Does anybody have a picture of the LO Med. packed up and ready to put in your pack? Curious how that works. Thanks.

Also, what about baffles? Should I pay extra for them? Do they affect how much wood you can put in them?

I have an 18", she packs up super small. Baffle doesn't really affect the amount of wood you can fit, it hangs down but not below the door height. Keep in mind the pipe location flips to the front when using the baffle due to efficiency.

I'll check for pics.