Sleeping Bag Weight

Seth82

FNG
Im headed on a 10 day Stone Sheep hunt for the opener this year. I'm constantly trying to make improvements and cut weight where I can, but I'm looking for input or suggestions on sleeping bags. I currently have a Marmot Helium Membrane 15F (Long) bag. Weighed with a waterproof stuff sac its 48.8oz. Any suggestions on a replacement bag? Temps for the time we will be gone should be hovering around 32 - 35F.

ianpadron

WKR
Quilt life my man. Cut that weight in half with a 20 degree quilt easily

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Agreed but though I have 30, 20, 10 and 0 degree quilts...always take the 0* now. Easy to vent if I get warm. Can't make a quilt (or bag for that matter) warmer than it's rating. You won't "cook" under a quilt like you can in a bag.

ianpadron

WKR
Agreed but though I have 30, 20, 10 and 0 degree quilts...always take the 0* now. Easy to vent if I get warm. Can't make a quilt (or bag for that matter) warmer than it's rating. You won't "cook" under a quilt like you can in a bag.
I have a 0 and use it year round. So versatile.

Agree 100%

d4d3419f3acd6104efb8b970086084d4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

mlob1one

WKR
I'm a big fan of the Mont Bell down bags for several reasons.
- The way its stitched allows for significant give while in the bag.
- The temp ratings are quite conservative.
- Weight is good for the temp ratings.

Either of these might be great for your sheep hunt...
Down Hugger 900 #2 Long | Montbell America

Down Hugger 800 #3 Long | Montbell America

I have both a Down Hugger 800 in a #1 & #3 (both in long as well).

Good luck on the hunt!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

GotDraw?

WKR
Couple other thoughts that might make a difference...

Get lighter boots if you can, a modest cut in boot weight is equivalent to a dramatic pack weight cut when climbing in the steeps.

Pants with plenty of leg room, gusseted crotch and action knees keep pant drag to a minimum so you are not fighting them.

Stretch hamstrings and glutes so your body is flexible and you're not fighting tight muscles when you are climbing.

Enjoy!

With those expected temps I would choose a 30 degree treated down quilt with 850-950 fill. You can always wear extra clothing, puffy layers, etc., for the nights when it might get colder, and with that quilt you could possibly shave over 2 lbs. off your sleeping bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ljalberta

WKR
I recently switched to the quilt life and won't be going back anytime soon for anything but winter camping. I had a 20* EE Revelation at first but found it not quite warm enough for myself in the high 20s/low 30s. I now have a 10* that I'm satisfied with for early season use in the Alberta rockies. Layering with a lighter bag/quilt as Troutman suggested is always an option, I personally prefer sleeping with only a baselayer on though. I've also found one of the biggest game changers moving from a 3ish R value pad to the 5.7R value Xtherm.

I recently switched to the quilt life and won't be going back anytime soon for anything but winter camping. I had a 20* EE Revelation at first but found it not quite warm enough for myself in the high 20s/low 30s. I now have a 10* that I'm satisfied with for early season use in the Alberta rockies. Layering with a lighter bag/quilt as Troutman suggested is always an option, I personally prefer sleeping with only a baselayer on though. I've also found one of the biggest game changers moving from a 3ish R value pad to the 5.7R value Xtherm.

He raises an excellent point, a high R rated pad is a must with a quilt. I use the EXPED UL9LW with an R rating of 6. Toasty SOB! That and a zero degree quilt are ideal IMHO.

I would recommend spending some time in a quilt before you decide to use one on a 10 day sheep hunt. I have a 0 degree quilt that I wasn't thrilled with in 30 degree temps because of the drafts. I'm looking at getting a western mountaineering alpinlite bag to avoid any draft concerns. This would still be significantly lighter than your current bag.

Jimss

WKR
Take a look at Western Mountaineering. They are spendy but have rave reviews. I haven't ever used a quilt. I'm cold blooded and use a 0 degree bag in the high country pretty much all summer, fall, and winter. If too hot I'll open it up and take layers off..., if cold I can always add layers to bed or put my coat over me.

I've been on a gob of Alaska sheep and mtn goat hunts over the past 10 years. The first thing I did when I started going on these trips was make a clothes and gear list. The items that weighed the most I updated with lighter, more compact items. It cost a bunch of $ to do this. I sold some of my old gear to help make it more affordable. My sleeping bag was one of the items I updated.

That seems a bit heavy for a Helium. My Helium is 37.8 ounces (in regular size.) Maybe you could cut weight by getting a lighter weight waterproof stuff sack (like the Granite Gear cuben fiber dry bags) eVent Uberlight Drysack | Waterproof Stuff Sacks | Granite Gear

Im headed on a 10 day Stone Sheep hunt for the opener this year. I'm constantly trying to make improvements and cut weight where I can, but I'm looking for input or suggestions on sleeping bags. I currently have a Marmot Helium Membrane 15F (Long) bag. Weighed with a waterproof stuff sac its 48.8oz. Any suggestions on a replacement bag? Temps for the time we will be gone should be hovering around 32 - 35F.

I would recommend spending some time in a quilt before you decide to use one on a 10 day sheep hunt. I have a 0 degree quilt that I wasn't thrilled with in 30 degree temps because of the drafts. I'm looking at getting a western mountaineering alpinlite bag to avoid any draft concerns. This would still be significantly lighter than your current bag.

Curious which quilt you bough and if it had dual straps. Where did the drafts originate? Sides? Footbox? Was this an EE quilt?

Curious which quilt you bough and if it had dual straps. Where did the drafts originate? Sides? Footbox? Was this an EE quilt?

EE Enigma 800 downtek Fill 0 degree, Regular/Wide. I'm 5'10 185. It was strapped to a sea to summit comfort + insulated (R value around 5.2 IIRC) with both straps and tucked under me the best I could and tightened around the neck.

Drafts were coming from the back of the quilt any time I moved, possibly a bit from the top too. Even with the straps bottomed so its closed at the connection points, there was just too much open in the back. Any time I would move or roll, that opening had cold air rushing in it. Maybe a double wide would make it less sensitive to movement? Don't get me wrong I only had very minor cool discomfort. I should have been sweating in a 0 Degree quilt. I felt like I spent all night trying to make sure it was closed off to drafts rather than just sleeping.

Last edited:

BCrob

FNG
I have a Mont Bell Down Hugger 20 degree but looking for something not as snug. So started looking at WM Terralite but they are pricey I then heard about quilts so then started looking at the Enlightened Equipment Revelation. I sleep warm and am a side sleeper so I find most mummy type bags are restricting hence a crappy nights sleep. The EE Quilt is what I think think the answer is for this...for me anyways.

I also bought a sleeping bag liner which I slide my Exped Synmat into so it acts as bed sheet then

Rob

Last edited:

MtnMuley

WKR
Never heard of a Montbell Down hugger being "snug". Montbell gets my vote. Sold the quilts with no regrets. However, there is a newer EE full zip with draw foot box thats really prying at the idea of third times a charm......

BCrob

FNG
Never heard of a Montbell Down hugger being "snug". Montbell gets my vote. Sold the quilts with no regrets. However, there is a newer EE full zip with draw foot box thats really prying at the idea of third times a charm......

The reason I find it snug is that i sleep on my side/front and want to my knee kicked out (be like the Recovery position for first aid I guess). doesnt matter what brand it is, me and mummy bags dont get along. what didnt you like with the quilts? Have yet to try them although I use my MB as one i guess when its warmer, I just dont zip it up

MtnMuley

WKR
My Montbell Down hugger is a spiral stretch bag. I sleep exactly the same on my side or stomach with one knee jackknifed. With the stretch I've never felt restricted. Mine definitely isn't a mummy bag.

I didn't like much about the quilts unless it was 40+ degree nights. Even with a 5.7 R value pad, I'd get drafts and just didn't sleep comfortable.