Sleeping Bag Weight

mlob1one

WKR
He raises an excellent point, a high R rated pad is a must with a quilt. I use the EXPED UL9LW with an R rating of 6. Toasty SOB! That and a zero degree quilt are ideal IMHO.
Ditto with the ExPed UL9LW!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Villreinjeger

Lil-Rokslider
Sleeping in a quilt, in a mid, in snake country could be interesting?

I see most advocate a quilt in less than freezing conditions. But, what are you doing in say - 10/15 C? Having a proper sleepingbag or staying at home?

I've found anything less than 26oz. is either way too expensive or not warm enough. I wouldn't suggest a quilt in alpine environments before you test it out first.

EE Enigma 800 downtek Fill 0 degree, Regular/Wide. I'm 5'10 185. It was strapped to a sea to summit comfort + insulated (R value around 5.2 IIRC) with both straps and tucked under me the best I could and tightened around the neck.

Drafts were coming from the back of the quilt any time I moved, possibly a bit from the top too. Even with the straps bottomed so its closed at the connection points, there was just too much open in the back. Any time I would move or roll, that opening had cold air rushing in it. Maybe a double wide would make it less sensitive to movement? Don't get me wrong I only had very minor cool discomfort. I should have been sweating in a 0 Degree quilt. I felt like I spent all night trying to make sure it was closed off to drafts rather than just sleeping.

No wonder you had an issue, you got a wide quilt on a narrow mummy sack shaped pad. If you used a wide rectangular mat like an EXPED UL9 W you wouldn't experience this. Honestly...given your size the wide is a bit big on you (I use the wide versions but am 240lbs) and combined with the slim narrow mat you have draft issues. Guessing you're new to quilts. Change your pad and you'll love it. That EXPED model is perfect for sleeping on "less than rock and root-free" ground. With 3.5" you'll sleep like baby and drafts will disappear no matter how much you toss and turn bud.

As for Villreinjeger's post...if you're in snake or scorpion country a nest is preferred however, in cold weather they are not a concern.

Last edited:
No wonder you had an issue, you got a wide quilt on a narrow mummy sack shaped pad. If you used a wide rectangular mat like an EXPED UL9 W you wouldn't experience this. Honestly...given your size the wide is a bit big on you (I use the wide versions but am 240lbs) and combined with the slim narrow mat you have draft issues. Guessing you're new to quilts. Change your pad and you'll love it. That EXPED model is perfect for sleeping on "less than rock and root-free" ground. With 3.5" you'll sleep like baby and drafts will disappear no matter how much you toss and turn bud.

As for Villreinjeger's post...if you're in snake or scorpion country a nest is preferred however, in cold weather they are not a concern.

I don't see why the shape of the pad matters if I wasn't coming off of it? Just a little movement or rolling causes a gap where my torso is not pressing on the pad. If my arms are not perfectly at my side, the quilt gets pulled open in the back and air gets in.

I might try a warmer weather quilt again some day. I have a WM alpinlite bag headed my way and my EE quilt is packed and ready for fedex to take to a Rokslider who will hopefully get better use of it than I.

I don't see why the shape of the pad matters if I wasn't coming off of it? Just a little movement or rolling causes a gap where my torso is not pressing on the pad. If my arms are not perfectly at my side, the quilt gets pulled open in the back and air gets in.

I might try a warmer weather quilt again some day. I have a WM alpinlite bag headed my way and my EE quilt is packed and ready for fedex to take to a Rokslider who will hopefully get better use of it than I.

As i said, the combination of a narrow, thin pad combined with with a quilt that is too big creates the draft. Change your pad-problem solved. Whether you "see it" or not doesn't matter...it ain't workin' for ya and I have provided the resolution. Do with this information what you will.

It sounds like you're already done with quilts but in the future if you do decide to try them again, my suggestion would be to pick up a lightweight bivy, ditch the whole strap system, and run your pad and quilt inside the bivy. There are several cottage companies that make lightweight bivy's ranging from 4-6 oz. this is what I do and I have never had a problem with my quilt riding up and creating a draft. Anyway, just some food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like you're already done with quilts but in the future if you do decide to try them again, my suggestion would be to pick up a lightweight bivy, ditch the whole strap system, and run your pad and quilt inside the bivy. There are several cottage companies that make lightweight bivy's ranging from 4-6 oz. this is what I do and I have never had a problem with my quilt riding up and creating a draft. Anyway, just some food for thought.

That had crossed my mind. What bivys would you recommend?

92xj

WKR
I also do the lightweight bivy with my quilt and absolutely love it. The bivy weighs around 5oz. I had Bearpaw build me a custom sized cuben fiber for a very reasonable price. I have no issues at all with drafts and stay very warm, with my 20 degree quilt in 27 degree (coldest I have been in with this set up) and no clothing on but boxers.

That had crossed my mind. What bivys would you recommend?

I have two 6 oz. bivy's, a Titanium Goat Kestrel and a Borah Gear (can't remember the model). The BG has a little bigger foot box and a bigger bug screened area (from the head down about 1/3 of the bivy). From what I've heard, Mountain Laurel Designs makes a very nice cuben fiber bivy but it's kind of pricey, ZPacks makes UL bivy's, Jimmy Tarps maybe (I don't know), and as stated above, Bear Paw Wilderness Designs might be another good option, especially if he'll do one out of CF for a reasonable price.