Backpacking tent for a tall guy

AOW1

FNG
Hey guys looking for a new tent - I'm 6' 5" and around 250 pounds. I want something with at least a little bit of room for me and some gear; I would also like to keep it under 3 pounds if it all possible. I've been looking at the Lightheart Gear Solong 6 and the Big Sky Mirage 1P or 2P tents. Anyone use either of these tents or have any other suggestions?

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
Are you open to going to a floorless shelter? If so, that makes for some great options from Kifaru, Seek Outside, etc...

If not, check out Big Agnes. Some of their tents are short, but they have a few longer ones. I have the super scout UL 2 and it's great for one guy and gear, but they don't make it any more. They do have the "Scout Plus" here: Scout Plus UL 2 It's 86" long and has a vestibule. May be an option...

Good Luck!

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 6'4" and the Black Diamond Mega Lite is just long enough when pitched to the ground, and extra room when pitched 3-4" off the ground. It weighs 2lbs with 8 "Y" pegs (using trekking poles for centre pole). It would have more usable space if it had mid-panel guyouts.
Another floorless model that would work is the Mountain Smith Mountain Shelter LT.
For a tent you could check out Tarp Tent Double Rainbow - it's supposed to fit tall people.

Tag_Soup

WKR
I don't know if you are open to floorless, but the Jimmy Tarps granite mountain is 9'4" long and comes in around 20 oz with 8 msr ground hogs and 2.4mm glow wire guyouts. Pitches with one tracking pole. I am 6'2 and have slept double with my wife and our packs in the vestibule. Tons of room at head and foot for boots or even a dog. A 4x8' polycro ground sheet brings the entire setup in around 22 oz for a fairly bombproof shelter. It can be ordered with a stove jack if you want to rub a small cylinder stove. It would fit well with one but be pretty tight for 2 after you figure room for gear and wood. The price tag is really easy on the wallet too. I don't regret going floorless one bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will45

FNG
I'm 6'5" also and have the Lightheart Gear Duo. It's plenty long enough for me and around 2lbs without trekking poles. I went with the Duo because of the extra width over the solong 6 and it's only a few ounces more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

AOW1

FNG
Thanks guys for all the responses; I really appreciate it. I shy away from floorless and I can't really tell you why - I've never used one it just seems strange to me (I would probably love it if I tried one). I did consider the Lightheart Gear Duo but didn't realize it was that close in weight to the Solong6; looks like that one is back on the board. I'm also definitely going to take a closer look at the StratoSpire 2. SELFILMED, thanks for pointing that out to me - I'll take a look. Again, I appreciate all of your help!!