SO Cimarron Nest Options

parshal

WKR
For those that have a nest for their Cimarron, did you go with a full or half nest? Why?

I'm thinking of getting a nest but not sure when one would be better me.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
For those that have a nest for their Cimarron, did you go with a full or half nest? Why?

I'm thinking of getting a nest but not sure when one would be better me.

I have really only used half nests since I started using pyramid tents back in 2010. Advatnage is you can come in muddy/bloody out of the pouring rain and not worry about taking off boots or tracking up a tent floor. It has worked great and will continue to do so in the future.

That said we had a baby girl this last year and being able to have a full nest for our now family of 3 makes more sense for now so I just ordered one up.

But if just using it with two adults the half nest is the way to go hands down IMO.

OP
parshal

parshal

WKR
I've got a half nest in my 12 man and like it for exactly what you said. The Cimarron half nest doesn't go up very high and looks like it leaves a little room on the table.

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv got a half. They did not have be full when I purchased mine.

I don't think I'd like the full. Half the beauty of the cimmaron with the nest is I can walk in the half with out taking off my boots, and with wet cloths.

colonel00

WKR
I will also vote for a half nest for hunting situations where it's just me or me and the wife. You could put two dudes in one but it would be tight quarters. If running two people in a Cimarron, I'd probably go more for a half next and a bivy or just two bivys.

If shopping for a 2 person nest/half nest, I think ones from TI goat or Bearpaw are a little bigger and have more headroom. Lighter too I think.

That said, I did order the SO full nest that I'm hoping to get before the packraft rondy. We'll use it more for a leisure tent setup when car camping and stuff like that.

OP
parshal

parshal

WKR
Hmmm, I'd not thought about Bearpaw or TI Goat. Do they basically fit the same? I suspect the SO half nest simply stakes in the ground and has a tie for the top.

colonel00

WKR
Pretty much any two person nest that I know of will fit in a Cimarron on one side just fine. Below is a photo from a couple years ago. To stake out the nest, I just used longer cordage on the back of the nest and ran that line to the stakes for the tent. For the front of the nest, I used separate stakes so I could open the door completely as you can see.

IMGP5836_zpslgiz1ila.jpg

colonel00

WKR
It's from Bearpaw I believe but I don't know any other specifics. I had actually borrowed it from bbrown here on the forums.

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Those with a nest...are you using it more for getting away from the the bugs or more for condensation? I was thinking full nest due to emphasis on keeping the bugs away in the summer when a stove isn't needed and weather is typically nicer. When into the cooler months and no bugs...no nest.

tttoadman

WKR
Check out the MLD nest. They have the built in corners struts. You can drop the net and use it as a tub, or lift it and set up the nest.

MLD PYRAMID INNERNETS ™ | Mountain Laurel Designs | Super Ultra Light Backpacking & Wilderness Equipment

Which one of these fits the Cimarron best?
I don't have one of these. I made my own before I realized these had what I wanted. Mine is just a single for a small tarp I have. I would think the duo or the duo XL would easily fit. You should be able to compare the numbers to the SO 1/2 nest they offer. Call Kevin and tell him to put corner struts on and you will buy his. I think it should be std on all nests.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Those with a nest...are you using it more for getting away from the the bugs or more for condensation? I was thinking full nest due to emphasis on keeping the bugs away in the summer when a stove isn't needed and weather is typically nicer. When into the cooler months and no bugs...no nest.

Mostly concerned keeping bugs at bay while sleeping. I hate buzzing in my ears while sleeping is part of the reason for the nest. The other is the bathub floor works like a ground sheet to keep your pad and bags dry if/when setting up on wet ground.

I find that the bugs don't really bother me that much (even in some pretty bag bug conditions outside) when inside the tipi alone (non nested portion of it) as they fly to the peak of the tipi and kinda stay there. So hanging out and cooking and such in the non-nested part isn't bad. Half nest is lighter and cheaper and allow you to still come out of the weather with muddy clothes and boots and deboot and undress out of the weather, something I wouldn't want to do in a full floored shelter.

Hope that helps.

bbrown

WKR
It's from Bearpaw I believe but I don't know any other specifics. I had actually borrowed it from bbrown here on the forums.

Looks like BPWD changed up how they list the net tents and the Luna 6 1/2 nest is the most comparable to what I am using. Originally I ordered the Pyranet 1 with extended width (54" I believe) and extended height and it was around $130 if I remember right.

Product Luna 6 Partials Page

You can reach out to John at BPWD and he should be able to build you a "custom" nest to better fit the shape but be sure that you verify all the dimensions before he builds it otherwise you will be stuck with whatever his interpretation ends up being.

I am heading up tomorrow evening and taking the wife and our 2 year old daughter on a couple day backpacking trip followed by a couple days of more comfy car camping. My wife and daughter share the nest and I sleep outside the nest in my Ti-Goat Raven bivy. This seems to work best for us as the wife has her space away from the mud and the bugs (she hasn't fully committed to the floor less idea just yet) with room to spread out all the kiddo's stuff. The other 1/2 of the Cimmaron is where we hang out, cook and store gear if needed. I will post some pictures when we get back if it helps.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR

Bugs, in buggy areas, but mainly for the wife. If I'm traveling west with it solo I'd likley just run a bivy inside for weight savings.

FlyGuy

WKR
I don't have one of these. I made my own before I realized these had what I wanted. Mine is just a single for a small tarp I have. I would think the duo or the duo XL would easily fit. You should be able to compare the numbers to the SO 1/2 nest they offer. Call Kevin and tell him to put corner struts on and you will buy his. I think it should be std on all nests.

Ive got the MLD bug bivy which I've been impressed with on limited outings thus far. I works great under my standard tarp, but I tried running it in my Tut couple weekends ago while fishing. It kept the zillion bugs off of me, but the design just doesn't work very well inside the tut. Anyone know from experience which size MLD nest would work best in a tut?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro