Anyone using Floorless Shelters for Eastern Mountain hunting?

Anyone running floorless shelters on the mountains of NC or VA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure. I have used my SL-5 in the Rough Mountain Wilderness/George Washington national forest several times. No problems at all.

What are your concerns?

Larry

OP
larrywhite843
Mainly mosquitos or any other kind of nuisance insects. I only have experience out west with the floorless.

Haven't had issues in the cooler weather. You can always put up a nest inside if you have issues. My SL-5 is a four sided pyramid design, about 9'x9' wtih a 6' center pole.

ohoopee

WKR
I have used my SL5 several times this summer in the smokies. Lots of bee's were in with me last week but thats b/c I left the door open all day. Most of the insects seem to congregate in the top and don't bother me. I have other enclosed tents but still prefer the floorless. I spray it well with permethrin before really buggy areas farther south and floorless is still my go to option.

Hall256

WKR
We use a 6 man tipi with almost no problem in both NC and VA, but it is also pretty late season when the temps have dropped.

Over Memorial day we take a trip to Lake Fontana (on the south side of the Smokies) and we didn't really have any issues with bugs in the tent either, a few got in from the floor, but no mosquitos.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I have used them in the past in the mountains of WV. Hot weather means bugs on the ground. Cold weather is really nice. For hunting season you'll love it. God Bless

Jauwater

WKR
Yea I've hunted the past two seasons through Pisgah National Forest in a SuperTarp. Starting a section hike this Friday from Virginia to Georgia on the AT, and I'll be using a Jimmy Tarp which is floor less. Pay mind to where you setup you should be fine. One thing I've noticed is that floor less shelters are hard on pets during the spring, and summer months cause the black flies won't leave them alone. With no way to keep the flies out it can become annoying, and a health problem for the dog. That'd be the only thing I'd caution you on about floor less shelters in the NC mountains. I was always worried about the centipedes. Their everywhere above 4000ft. I literally could spot one every 20 yards. They've yet to become a problem.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

OP
larrywhite843
Yea I've hunted the past two seasons through Pisgah National Forest in a SuperTarp. Starting a section hike this Friday from Virginia to Georgia on the AT, and I'll be using a Jimmy Tarp which is floor less. Pay mind to where you setup you should be fine. One thing I've noticed is that floor less shelters are hard on pets during the spring, and summer months cause the black flies won't leave them alone. With no way to keep the flies out it can become annoying, and a health problem for the dog. That'd be the only thing I'd caution you on about floor less shelters in the NC mountains. I was always worried about the centipedes. Their everywhere above 4000ft. I literally could spot one every 20 yards. They've yet to become a problem.

I'm actually hitting the Pisgah area mid September with either the supertarp or sawtooth. Thanks for the info.

No worries about ticks during the warmer months with a floorless?

Where are you starting your section in VA Jauwater?

Yup. I use the mountainsmith mountain shelter LT. I used this spring for turkey in pisgah with no issues and some pretty heavy rains. I'll be using it this fall for deer as well. I jus clear the area that I'm setting it up to bare earth the best I can and set it up. I haven't had a problem with bugs.

Jauwater

WKR
No worries about ticks during the warmer months with a floorless?

Where are you starting your section in VA Jauwater?
It's just a matter of time I'm sure before I'm bit by a tick sleeping, but it hasn't happen yet. I do as much as I can to prevent it with thin base layers, and socks. I use felt buster (sold at home depot) as a ground clothe, and sleep with a actual sleeping bag that zips up during the warmer months. I'd not recommend using a quilt on the ground during the warmer months. Just to much easy access for bugs. Atkins, VA is the plan on where to start. It's just north of the Grayson Highlands.

I tend to pull more ticks off me in my own yard more then I've noticed them in the woods. I will say chiggers can be a real problem. You can barely see the damn things. One time cowboy camping in a pine forest near the summit of the Unaka Mountain I cleared out a bunch of pine needles to try to give me a clear spot to sleep. Got ate up really bad.

Last edited:

Hall256

WKR

The day a centipede crawls in to my bag is probably the last day I go floorless...LOL.

I do always bring a lightweight bug bivy (Bear Paw Designs) with me just in case an area is really bag with bugs.

Jauwater

WKR
The day a centipede crawls in to my bag is probably the last day I go floorless...LOL.

I do always bring a lightweight bug bivy (Bear Paw Designs) with me just in case an area is really bag with bugs.
Lol, probably my last time too if it happens. Yea a bivy takes care of the problem well, and you won't need a ground clothe with your bivy. When I first started floorless I always used a bivy. I rarely find Infestations of bugs deep In the woods. Not like you find In rural areas. If you do find a patch of woods that's really buggy I'd recommend packing up, and gain some elevation to get out of that area. If your in an area with a bunch of dead trees it's fair warning there is plenty of bugs, keep moving.

Last edited:
The ticks do seem to be heavier in grassy areas and the chiggers near the pine needles. I hate 'em both but for some reason they love me. A thin understory in a mature hardwood forest or a rocky ridge usually isn't too bad with bugs.
I know of Atkins, south of here a bit. Have a safe and fun trip.

OP
larrywhite843
Any recommendations for
a bug bivy? I'm looking at one made by Rab right now.

Jauwater

WKR
I explain it to a lot of easterners like this, they typically can relate. Growing up I was terrified of spiders. After years of hunting they hardly bother me now. In the Southeast it's nothing to walk through 30 spider webs, face first, before dawn, just to get to the tree stand. You come to find out that spider doesn't give two shits about biting you it just wants to get away from you asap. I think through experience you'll come to feel like that about bugs, and floorless shelters. It's really not a problem. Now granted you have those bugs that look to eat you. Stay away from the places bugs congregate. Pine needle layers. Dead trees. Chiggers love rock also. Healthy parts of the forest you'll typically find average to little bug invasion.