Cot for backpacking?

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
Before people jump on me and say just use a decent pad, I get it, just getting options to add to my current thermarest sleeping pad to increase the depth. I am a side-sleeper and often wake up with at least one sore shoulder and have a difficult time staying comfortable when sleeping in the backcountry. For you side-sleepers was a backpacking cot worth it in your opinion to pack in? Anyone ever tried cutting a cheap mattress topper the width of your pad as another layer to increase comfort? Any opinion one way or the other is appreciated.

I'm not completely ignoring weight, as a heavier pack does not bother me, I'm a dumb 28 year old in good shape.

dotman

WKR
A cot is well worth it but expensive. Just depends what comfort is worth.

Daniel_M

WKR
I've got both a Helinox and the Thermarest LuxuryLite. I don't like a heavily inflated pad and my 2 current pads are the XTherm and Big Agnes IAC. I prefer the Helinox.

I love my cots. More comfy, and I sleep better. Keep in mind that being off the ground, you will have colder air circulating under your body so plan accordingly.

If you are going the cot route why not look at hammocks as well?? Both get you off the ground and you have to content with cold air circulating underneath you.

sveltri

WKR
I just added the thermarest sol to my helinox cot and finally figured out how to sleep comfortably in the backcountry. The pad is big but I just attach to the outside of my pack next to the cot. The pad is really only to provide a barrier between my bag and the cold air under the cot.

WoodBow

WKR
I love my luxury lite cot. They are much cheaper now than they used to be. Backcountry.com is running a 4th of july sale too.

I'm not a back sleeper and always slept like garbage without the cot. Yea they weigh 2 or 3 pounds but I will be on that thing for 8 hours a night.