1st Time Quilt Purchase

lif

WKR
Looking to get my first quilt. No knowledge or experience. Want a setup good to 20 degrees. I have good base layers and a puffy to help insulate. Just want a light comfortable solution for a side sleeper. Any advice on which quilts as well as pads and overall setups is appreciated. Thanks in advance

bcimport

WKR
Don't overthink it. Talk to the manufacturer about length and width and order one rated for 10-20 degrees colder than the coldest temps you think you'll encounter. Get a pad that's comfortable to you with a decent R value. I have a 0 and a 30 degree EE and use a ridge rest for early season and an x therm when it gets cold.

I have a Hammock Gear Burrow overfilled with 2 oz which makes it around 15 degrees so I'm good for Sept-Oct. I bought the long so I can pull it over my head as I'm 5' 11" and dont like a cold face. I have a Klymit insulated static v pad which has been warm enough but not as comfortable as I'd like. I'm a side sleeper also and I'm looking to upgrade it.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Hall256

WKR
I have a 20 degree quilt from EE and I like it, but I can only use it if it is not too cold....ideally I will only use it in the low 40's. When the temps drop, i either have to augment the quilt or switch to a bag. The main issue I have is that I toss and turn a lot when I sleep, so that lets in a lot of cold air.

So, if you are looking for a light weight option it is great...if you are looking for something that will keep you warm on a late season deer hunt, you might be disappointed.

I couldn't get passed all the cold drafts with a quilt. Realized I like the "no brainer" convenience of a bag and haven't looked back. Lots of guys love them so it's probably more user error on my part.

NHBacon

FNG
I just made mine using materials from RipStop. Came out great. Goes under the pad with shock cord. Cinch at the bottom. Long enough to tuck my head.

Mike7

WKR
I wonder if people are buying their quilts too narrow to get the best warming effect out of them?

I have to be careful, because I wake up sweaty in my quilts if I close things up to tightly. I can easily sleep to the temp rating on my EE quilts, but one quilt is a wide quilt and the other is an extra wide. With the extra width, I can easily attach the edges of the quilt to the elastic strap so that they are under my body...but still I can toss and turn without getting all tangled up like in a sleeping bag.

I use and Xtherm pad.

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
Ive got 2 EE's. Conundrum 0 Degree and a Covert 10 degree . Both are sized large because I'm a tosser and turner. they are both awesome products. Used the Covert this passed weekend in the high Cascade Mtns in Washington. Used Thermarest Xtherm and was really happy. almost to warm.

OP
L

lif

WKR
What pad are you running with a extra wide EE 64" wide quilt?

I couldn't get past the drafts either, having to constantly think about whether your movement will open the quilt-to-pad seal was a deal breaker for me. One thing that might have helped solve that issue is an UL bivy.

Mike7

WKR
What pad are you running with a extra wide EE 64" wide quilt?

Just a regular width pad as usual. This extra quilt width alows me plenty of room to add clothes in the winter if needed in order to take my 20 deg quilt into the single digits. Also, I can flop a leg out beyond the pad edge, and not break the seal at the quilt edge.

OP
L

lif

WKR
That sounds like what I would want. Just want to get a good and appropriate pad

Read1t48

WKR
Seems like quilts are the new rage and I can see their value, but when you have to get one that is 20dg. colder than you expect, and than pair it with a bivy, doesn't it defeat the purpose of "lightweight" when compared to a traditional sleeping bag that can be unzipped and also fairly versatile?

OP
L

lif

WKR
Im a side sleeper who tossed and turns at night I don't think I'll get a bivy to start and mummy bags are super restricting to me.

Not everyone has to get a quilt rated much colder than expected to stay warm. My guess is those that have struggled with quilts, did so because they bought a quilt that was way to narrow for their sleeping habits. Buy a WIDE quilt and it will keep you as warm as it says. Buy a standard width and, when you roll around you create drafts and holes in the pad-quilt seal. It isn't rocket science. But, it is like hammock camping. People try it ill prepared and then blame the equipment. I don't imagine a lot of us lay down and never move in the bed yet, we stay warm because our blankets are wide enough to allow that without being uncovered. It is no different with quilts. Yet, for some reason, some suggest otherwise. If you'll allow the width needed to stay covered, you'll stay warm. It's not next level thought that makes this rule apply. God Bless

OP
L

lif

WKR
I'm pretty sure I'm going 0 degree Extra wide. Long. EE brand. I just want to make sure I get correct pad.

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
EE xtra wide / long 0 degree , tigoat bivy , exo therm lrg = 3.4lbs pretty lightweight and packs up into a neat package