Sleeping bag help. "I know another one"

Cdpp880

WKR
I will be doing a October elk hunt in Utah and am needing to get my sleep system. I am a side sleeper and do not care for a mummy bag, I also hate being cold but am not a really cold sleeper and will have a puffy jacket and pants. I am 6'01" and 200lb. I will be packing in for a night or two at a time at around 9500-10500'. I plain on doing at least one western trip every year from hear on out and most will have to be in October. So far I am looking at big agnus lost ranger 15 or their encampment 15 in their tall wide version. Nemo equipment argali or nocturne. Sierra design back country bed, or zissou. Also the kelty cosmic 20.
As far as a pad I am looking a big agnus, and Nemo just don't know which one.
The tent I will be using will either be a mountain smith LT or the Nemo apollo.
I am open to others but can get really good deals on any of these so that is the driving factor for these so far. My budget, I would like to keep the bag and pad under 400
Thanks

I've hunted the unitas at that elevation with a 15 degree bag in a 3 season two person tent, sawtooth and tut. Having the stove to warm up getting in and out of the bag was way better. Once in the bag I never got cold. Used a big Agnes qcore for bad. Doesn't really answer your question but any 15 to 25 bag should work just fine with a good r value pad.

bcimport

WKR
If it's short trips and you're trying to take it easy on the wallet buy a wiggys and be done with it. You'll be warm and comfortable and it'll last. It is going to take up some more space and weigh a pound and a half more than the high speed low drag big money options.

We're close in size, the best sleep I get (except for hammocking) comes from an EXPED UL9 LW pad (6 R rating) and a 0* EE quilt with Hoodlum. I toss and turn too...cannot ever go back to a traditional bag again. Watch the classifieds for the mat and order the Revelation quilt. You won't be sorry...beats lugging a heavy and bulky Wiggy's bag in your pack.

oldgoat

WKR
If you get the big Agnes, get the Big Agnes pad, it's even comfy for old people a week or more at a time.

OP
C

Cdpp880

WKR
I am really wanting the sierra design back country bed but the pad sleeve will only take a 2.5" pad. It looks like the xtherm is one of the only ones that would fit that and I am concerned about how loud they might be. Also they are expensive. Are they that loud?

Akicita

WKR
As a side sleeper myself I am a big fan of the Nemo Nocturne 15. I have well over 200+ nights in it and my Big Agnes Q Core SL (discontinued) with no complaints or major issues.

Side sleeper as well. Ck out Montbell bags. I use a Spiral Down for backpacking and it's been very comfortable for me.

desertcj

WKR
I have the previous version encampment 15 and insulated air core. I'm fairly happy with the combo but I think the 15 degree rating is a bit on the optimistic side. If I was consistently planning to hunt in October, I would probably go with a wood stove. I've toyed with the idea of a Wiggys 20 degree or a quilt. The quilt doesn't excite me too much for late season hunting though.

ahlgringo

WKR
will put in my vote for a 0 deg kifaru slikbag . long wide- toss and turn all you want. last synthetic bag you will ever need. I even use mine in subzero temps- put my EE enigma 20 inside it.

Tag_Soup

WKR
I am really wanting the sierra design back country bed but the pad sleeve will only take a 2.5" pad. It looks like the xtherm is one of the only ones that would fit that and I am concerned about how loud they might be. Also they are expensive. Are they that loud?

I have had both. The pad sleeve will hold most standard pads. If it's tight, just partially inflate it, slide it in, and finish filling in the sleeve.

As for the xtherm, the new one isn't all that loud. I have never been bothered by it.

I recently switched to a 20 degree EE revaluation quilt for the weight savings, but I think the backcountry bed is a fantastic design. I loved mine.

I still think if they made one with a apex bag and down "blanket", it would be the perfect high country mile deer bag. Time will tell if I stick with the quilt or go back to the backcountry bed. May even make a DIY franken-backcountry/slick bag some day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can second the Nemo Nocturn 15. I have roughly 60 nights in it with most nights being in the 20's.I use it ith s Cabelas Instinct Pad. Works for me and I woul recommend to family and friends any day.

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
I gotta say, my Wiggy's 20* bag is just plain great. It's bombproof, great quality, great warmth and available in generous sizes. It's a bit heavy and bulky, but you feel like you can really trust it to perform when needed to.

MtnMuley

WKR
Second the Montbell spiral down hugger as a side/jackknife sleeper. Also, the Xtherm Maxx isn't noisy to me.

OP
C

Cdpp880

WKR
So you guys with wiggies bags what are the actual weights of your bags. From looking on their site they are saying 3.5lbs for their 20 ultra light bag. I could deal with that and the size of the bag for the price but is that the actual weight?

JamesP

WKR
My regular length wide Wiggy's ultra light weighs 3lb 7oz. Extremely generous room. I'm 6ft 240. Compression sack add a few ounces but you can compress it down to a little larger than a basketball. I've never regretted buying mine. I'll save weight an size on other items for the cost difference. They are super durable bags that are in my opinion capable of lower than temp rating with a good pad. I roll all over the place when I sleep and never had an issue with the Wiggy's wide mummy style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
Just bought a Nemo Argali 15 that I should be getting in the mail today. Im 6'4", #230, a side/back sleeper, and I hate being confined by a mummy bag. The Argali was perfect for me with the integrated waterproof pad sleeve and treated down. Exactly what I've been looking for, and I got it at a ridiculous awesome price!

I just got a Nemo Salsa. I am a side and belly sleeper, and get claustrophobic in a mummy bag (can't move my arms). This is not that much larger but the shape allows me to move around, roll on my belly, and has enough room I do not feel as constricted. I can move my arms around inside easy enough. The large hood allows me to move my arms above or under my head when on my belly or side which I like. The little blanket is great, I can tuck it around my neck no matter the position I am in. I have not had it in extreme temps yet, but it is very warm the times I have used it. A pad pocket would be nice but honestly now that I can sleep on my side and belly, do not roll around like I did in my mummy bag.

It was a toss between this and the back country bed. I wanted to save a bit of weight and bulk so went with the Nemo, but from what i have read they are both great options.