4th Season Tent Camping

Drew my 1st ever 4th season tag here in CO. I usually hunt elk during archery but with my first kid on the way that is due in September that is just not in the cards. The place where I'm going to be camping I can't get my bumper pull camper so I am going to use a tent. I've never tent camped during 4th season so I'm trying to figure out what to do. I want a wall tent, but I can't afford one now.

My question is can I get by with a 20 degree down sleeping bag in a Kifaru Super tarp while wearing a super down jacket and pants, or should I buy a 0 degree bag? I also have a 2 person Kelty that I can use as well. I'm just not sure what to do.

Are you hiking in or camping by your truck? If you are hiking I would go with a 0 degree bag/quilt, an air mattress with a high R value, and ground cloth. If you are camping by the truck then bring a wool blanket and wrap the air mattress in it like a taco.

You can get by with either of those tent options. I am generally a tarp camper in the summer through September. Come October and on I go with a TUT and a Seek Outside stove.

OP
Back Country Hunter 2
Camping by the truck. I have and REI camp pad that I was going to use. Thanks for the advice on the wool blanket. I'll definitely do that.

Where will you be during your hunt? elevation could play a part in weather at that time.

Last year my dad and I drew a 4th season tag west of Saguache. Think we were camping at high 8's/low 9's. Only snowed 1 day; rest of the time at night probably didn't drop below high 30s. (note: we had a SO 8 man with a wood stove - so weather wouldn't have affected us anyway).

My point is; the weather is so fickle here; it can be 60s during the day at that time or it could be 20s. You just never know. I would go with the 0 degree bag just in case that weather moves in.

1signguy

WKR
I think I would look at one of those tents for your truck bed or try and find a used truck top (Craigslist or other...) and camp right in the bed of the truck. Add a buddy heater and you are good with what you already have... Heck- you could even take a little Honda and have electric heat...

Have seen some pretty darn nice truck bed setups and you can literally roll up and have camp ready... Just a thought... I just know that sleep has a giant impact on my hunting success so the more comfortable you can be the better. Having the truck right there opens up a ton of possibilities...

elkduds

WKR
Remember 4th season is only 5 days, Wed-Sun. Last 3 years it has been mild then in CO. Just like layering your mattress w a blanket, you can layer your 20 degree bag w a quilt or another sleeping bag around the outside. If you have an SUV can you sleep in back, maybe take some seats out? If a pickup, a cheaper option than a truck tent is to put PVC pipe arches in the stake pockets and put a tarp over all that, then heat w Buddy style propane heater and/or propane lantern. You won't need heat while sleeping. There will be some condensation under a nylon tarp from propane, so clothes will have to dry in the cab via car heater. Good luck.