can't fix this cold sleeper

fish_e_o

FNG
when i'm backpacking i'm a cold sleeper. i always have been and i've always just suffered through it. the places i hike can have snow sometimes when i'm there night temps could be dropping to 10 degrees on a cold night and about 40 on an average night. but every single night i'm frozen stiff. it seems like i've tried a dozen different ways and combinations to try to stay warm and i dont. every year i buy something new and more expensive to try it out.

this year i want to fix that.

this is the bivy i used last year
Advanced Bivy mojo blue

this is my tent i used last year
Shifter™ 3 | MountainHardwear.ca

this is my bag i used last year
KSB 0˚ Down Red Portable Insulated 3 Season Sleeping Bag - KLYMIT

this is the pad i used last year
Inertia X Frame Compact Backpacking Inflatable Sleeping Pad - KLYMIT

i have also tried using a liner in my bag

since then i have bought a surplus us military sleeping system complete with bivy. i tried it out in the trailer without heat in november (about 0F outside) and it was fine and i was nice and toasty. but i was also in a trailer.

that surplus thing is freaking huge so i'd rather not hike with it but sleeping well would be really nice.

should i go to a foam pad? is some of my gear wrong? should i take the behemoth bag? i've spent far too long not being comfortable

Last edited:

elkduds

WKR
Are you wearing base layer/beanie/socks to bed? Are you putting a liter of hot water in a Nalgene in bag w you? those are my 2 simple warm-ups.

OP
F

fish_e_o

FNG
Are you wearing base layer/beanie/socks to bed? Are you putting a liter of hot water in a Nalgene in bag w you? those are my 2 simple warm-ups.
i have tried wearing stuff to bed and i woke up drenched in sweat and froze so terrible i never tried again.

i'll have to try the warm water bottle trick

duchntr

WKR
All you need is a real sleeping pad that actually keeps you warm. Get something with at least 3 r-value for summer and 5+ for winter. Everything else you have is fine but as of now you are loosing all your heat to the ground.

Stid2677

WKR
Get a different pad, that open design is allowing the cold ground to suck heat from you. Get a pad with a rating around 4.0, I use a Therma-rest Neo Air Xlite Womens, R value of 3.9, 12 ozs and 2.5 inches thick. I use the women's because the pad is shorter and lighter. I hunt Alaska and stay warm with this pad and less insulation than you are using. I have slept on pads like yours and quickly learned they are not nearly as warm. Just takes once laying directly on the ground to feel the cold transfer.

Steve

OP
F

fish_e_o

FNG
All you need is a real sleeping pad that actually keeps you warm. Get something with at least 3 r-value for summer and 5+ for winter. Everything else you have is fine but as of now you are loosing all your heat to the ground.

so like how on mine it doesn't have an R value that would mean it sucks?

ok i will do it

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

colonel00

WKR
Yup, my first thought too at looking at your list was the pad. A tent and bivy may retain some warmth but not that much. That pad looks like the main issue. If you are a really cold sleeper, I'd look at a Neoair Xtherm. Some complain about it being "loud" when you move around but it doesn't bother me.

tttoadman

WKR
Don't know how big you are, but you don't want to be cramped in a bag. Pushing against the sides is no different than laying on the ground. Some of these "lightweight" bags are cutting weight by narrowing the bag. Do your homework and look at the specs to rule out the skinny guy bags.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm a cold sleeper as well, but you have to have a good pad. My Xtherm pad has a 5.7 R-value, and my Downmat has like a 9 R-value. I also use a 0 degree down quilt even in the summer on these pads.

another thing to check out is seeing your Dr. things like thyroid issues or diabettes can have an affect.

Yep you guys are spot on. I owned that pad years ago and hardly any r-value. Get a X therm or the new exped down winterlite, it only weighs 15 ounces and has a r- value of 7. May also need to replace that bag with a good quality zero degree bag. Can't beat western mountaineering or feathered friends.

rodney482

WKR
BA q core insulated pad
-20 degree wide bag.

*hot water trick works as advertised

You definitely need a better pad. I use an older Thermarest Neo Air... I believe it has some space blanket material inside that helps it to not lose all my heat.

Also, you might check out your dimensions compared to your bag dimensions. I once had an awesome 10* bag that I swore was colder than my 32* bag. I froze in that stupid thing... turns out the bag was just too big for me. When that happens it takes your body a lot longer to warm up the inside of the bag, and as a result you feel cold.