Are reasonably priced quilts a thing?

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
I'm considering trying a quilt because I move around a lot at night and I always end up with half of my body outside of my mummy bag and getting cold. Are there any reasonably priced quilts in the 0* - 10* range out there? EE seems to be the gold standard, but are also priced pretty high.

Thanks,
Hunter

EE or the massdrop quilts which are made by EE are a pretty good value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
How soon do you need one? They pop up on the classifieds at times. What's your budget or comfortable price range?

Graves14

WKR
EE recently started making synthetic quilts. For under $200 I'd consider them reasonable. As an added benefit you can use them while classing without fearing getting them damp

ljalberta

WKR
Yes. Check out Hammock Gear. They have an Econ line of quilts that are probably the best value in quilts right now. Treated down, and a range of temperature rating, and sizes available. Only potential downside is their wide quilt is 55". If you need wider than that, then they might not work for you.

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
I just received an EE downtech 10 degree Revelation quilt that I ordered. Got here a lot faster then originally quoted. Really didn't want to spend $300, but its well made and I'm hoping to get a lot of use out of it. Looking forward to trying it out....but thats not happening anytime soon with in being +95 out side.

I got 2 cheap down quilts at bed bath and beyond. They were I think 5 ft by 6 ft. I took the 2 and over lapped them a bit and sewed them together to make 1 6 ft by 10 ft quilt. It is NOT a cold weather quilt by any means but it worked really well for spring gobbler season down into the low 50's upper 40's. I plan on using it to supplement my 20 degree bag this winter. Not bad for I think 30 bucks and a half hour of my time sewing. You may be able to do something like that to boost what you currently have.

1signguy

WKR
I have a zero degree down quilt used one night that I could part with... Was purchased for my son but he prefers a bag. (PM sent)

twall13

WKR
As was mentioned above, Hammockgear.com just came out with an Econ series of down quilts this year that are phenomenal for the price. I own one and it can't be beat for the price. Wilderness Logics just came out with a budget line of quilts as well and they make solid gear. Depending on the temperature rating you go with you can get them from about $130-180 between those two manufactures. Again, I own quilts from both manufacturers and they both make great gear. Hammockgear will probably be slightly lighter weight but I wouldn't hesitate to order from either of them. They really are making down quilts for synthetic quilt prices.

If you want a good synthetic quilt also take a look at Arrowhead-equipment.com.

muddydogs

WKR
I'm considering trying a quilt because I move around a lot at night and I always end up with half of my body outside of my mummy bag and getting cold. Are there any reasonably priced quilts in the 0* - 10* range out there? EE seems to be the gold standard, but are also priced pretty high.

Thanks,
Hunter

If you move around enough to get half your body out of a mummy bag your going to be completely uncovered with a quilt and instead of just throwing the bag back over yourself and going back to sleep your going to have to retuck the quilt back in around your pad. I would think for a restless sleeper a bag would be a better choice, maybe you need to get away from a mummy bag and get something with a more square bottom so you have a little room to turn around in.
I know quilts are all the rage, heck I bought in and decided since it was hard to find a bag to fit my tall rear I would build one. Used the quilt one summer and a cold hunting season before I decided I needed a sleeping bag. With the quilt I was always getting drafts under the sides and just didn't like sleeping on the pad with nothing between it and me. I hated getting up in the middle of the night to pee then having to retuck the quilt and fiddle with it when climbing back in bed.
With the high quality light weight sleeping bags that are out there these days one can find a good bag that doesn't weight much more then the quilt. I know the quilt guys are going to say that the material on the bottom of a sleeping bag gets compressed and doesn't do much for insulation therefore it's basically waited weight. I say that might be so but the material on the bottom of a bag stops drafts, provides a little insulation and doesn't come untucked or need retucked like a quilt. I can leave my bag open if i'm hot then flop the bag closed and zip it up half asleep when I get cold instead of messing around tucking in a quilt.