Stupid pad!

WKR
Got out scouting this weekend to find my big agnes insulated air core has a slow leak somewhere. Completely deflated. First time I thought maybe I didn't get valve closed but it happened a couple more times. Couldn't find leak anywhere visually and even submerged it in a small pool the next day to look for bubbles, nothing...

I always thought that with a patch kit, it would be no problem if my pad spring a leak, but if you can't find the leak, you end up sleeping on the hard ground a couple of nights and being fairly miserable.

So now what to do? Send pad to BA? I reinflated the pad and meticulously searched for leaks in our home swimming pool and still found nothing. I know I can't fix this because I can't find it... Sort of nervous to have this happen again.

Of all the gear failures, I hadn't considered this one to be a big deal, but no/poor sleep for a couple of days has a pretty major effect on morale.

Stwrt9

WKR
i had this exact problem last year with my BA Q-core SL. It would slowly deflate every time and i couldn't find any holes. I contacted BA and they said to send it in. I was almost certain that it had to do with the valve. BA replaced my pad with no hassle at all and sent me the new BA Q-core SLX which replaced the SL. The new pad has an upgraded valve system that seems to work better. good luck!

geriggs

WKR
happened to me too. Took a few years but eventually went flat. I have the new one too but I always loved the Q core insulated. They sent it to me as a replacement for free. damn good warranty.

OP

WKR
I will send it in to BA. Timing being what it is, I may have to get another system for this year since I don't want to be waiting until the last minute.

I'm thinking of going to 2 UL pads, used in combination. One closed cell like the thermarest Z-lite (14oz) PLUS a klymit x-frame (9oz) on top of it. That way I'm never on the ground if the inflatable fails, and I can use the Z-lite for glassing or sitting in camp.

So I'd have a redundant system, more versatility, come out at 23 oz, and likely a pretty darn high comfort and R-value when combined.

OP

WKR
Started a new thread to discuss the pad system I'm considering.

Daniel_M

WKR
All BA leaks I've had have been around the fill valve weld to the pad material, air it up and spray it down with soapy water.

OP

WKR
I dunked it (held it under for 30 seconds) in a swimming pool and didn't see any bubbles.

I'm betting you are correct, wonder if it takes bodyweight on it to make the lead "appear".

Lawnboi

WKR
Part of the reason I carry half a foam pad. Weighs nothing, works as a seat, and under your pad, as well as added insurance if yours fails.

In cold weather I run a two pad system. Neo air xlite and a zlite foam pad. Extra protection and insurance if the pad fails.

Same thing for me with a new BA pad. It held air fine the first few nights. Two weeks ago it went flat and I chalked it up to elevation and air temperature changes. Then this weekend it went flat on me both nights. It only has one night on the ground, all the rest were in my truck bed. The one night on the ground, I made sure to remove anything that could have poked it.

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
As mentioned above, use soapy water(dish soap works best) to find the source of the leak. I realize this may not be an option in the field. I've used it for issues with numerous bicycle tires and an old thermarest in the past, it is much more effective than just water. I've had good luck with tenacious tape while in the field, and for a permanent fix at that, but as you pointed our yourself, patches are no good if you can't find the leak.

revcwood

FNG
Mine did a similar thing - I would wake up with it flat with no visible leaks. When I sprayed it with soapy water - suds everywhere! It had delaminated after almost 10 years. I sent it in and they sent a new one free. Great service on their part.

Tsnider

WKR
i had an 8 year old pad from them that started doing the same thing. its that corner twist valve, the material where it seals starts leaking. they didn't have the comparable pad in stock so they upgraded me to the qcore SLX as well no questions asked. had my new one in less than a week. i do live in colorado though so shipping was especially quick.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
BA has a great warranty program, and will replace for you in short order. That being said, we have consistently had the very same issue with the valves....like to the point where we took 4 brand new (replaced under warranty) on a Kodiak fly out and 3 of them wouldn't hold air. Ended up taking turns sleeping on a flat pad, with a short thermarest (from our Trekker chair set up) underneath. Not optimal, and I won't trust big agnes again. We swapped to xped for insulated (and still run neo air for summer backpacking) and haven't had any more problems.

Tsnider

WKR
BA has a great warranty program, and will replace for you in short order. That being said, we have consistently had the very same issue with the valves....like to the point where we took 4 brand new (replaced under warranty) on a Kodiak fly out and 3 of them wouldn't hold air. Ended up taking turns sleeping on a flat pad, with a short thermarest (from our Trekker chair set up) underneath. Not optimal, and I won't trust big agnes again. We swapped to xped for insulated (and still run neo air for summer backpacking) and haven't had any more problems.

what kind of valves did those ones have? just curious, i hate reading stuff like that.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
what kind of valves did those ones have? just curious, i hate reading stuff like that.

We have returned at least 3 different versions for the IAC for warranty of bad valves over the last 10 years, the most recent being the blue models. The last set I returned, Big agnes didn't even make me ship them the faulty pads...I just had to take a photo of the pads with the valves cut off. They shipped us 4 new pads right away, which I appreciate. But I still don't trust them.this tells me a it's not the first time they have encountered this problem...

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
My insulated Q core is about to go back for warranty. I've fixed 7 leaks so far and keep finding more. I fill it with air, bend it in half to increase the pressure inside and dunk it in the pool. Leaks everywhere. I'm sure they'll send me a new one. BTW, Tenacious tape does patch very well.

Trial153

WKR
The world is full of busted quad cores.... stay clear of them. Running xterm and nemo right now with no issues for several years and lots and lots of ground time