Seek Outside Olive Green - Color Q

SneekyPee

Lil-Rokslider
8f77914c4eedf62e85db9c73c0327639.cr2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damxam

Lil-Rokslider
Here's an another interior shot. This is in snow so it is very bright outside.

obt7mvE.jpg

OP
Kevin Dill
The olive green looks about ideal for what I/we want. Decision made much easier thanks to those who took time to post images. Time to put in an order.

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased a Redcliffe early this year. You will not be disappointed in you Seek Outside tent . They are a great piece of equipment to add to your stuff.

OP
Kevin Dill
I need no convincing on the quality. I've seen basically NO dings on SeekOutside's product quality and designs. I previously owned a Kifaru 8-Man which served me well. Based on my research I'm very sure the SO tipi will be at least 100% as good in service.

Want to thank those who contributed useful dialogue and pictures to this thread. Good men!

OP
Kevin Dill
Just wanted to confirm that the responses here did lead to an order. 8-Man tipi, 2 liners and carbon pole....and of course the tipi will be olive green. Many, many thanks.

Rokwiia

WKR
After reading this thread, it sounds like more people order green than brown. Other than esthetics, what benefit(s) would steer one toward brown?

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Actually I'd say the color choices are pretty close to equal. Brown seems a bit brighter, the green more muted. Like Kevin wanted to minimize spotting from the air, others want to be spotted easily in case of emergency.

A lot of folks think that because the brown looks like a brighter color then more light will get through, but in reality light transmission is equal.

Referring to damxam's pic in post # 22, I've been toying with getting an SO Redcliffe. Noticed in this picture that you are using what appears to be a local on site wood pole instead of packing the factory one in. I had been wondering if this could be done to save some weight but hadn't read of anyone doing that in threads I'd seen. Is that what you have going there, and if so, does it work well? Thanks!

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We put a very large and very durable cone in all our shelters, so you can run a cut pole if needed. You need to make sure you get the correct length, or cut it just short and shim with flat rocks.

Thanks for the response! Now back to Redcliff vs. 8 man for me to ponder. I keep inching bigger, thinking "its only another 1/2 - 1 lb and look how much bigger it is" syndrome! From Cimarron, to Redcliff, to 8 man. I keep telling myself that 8 man will be challenging at times to find good pitch areas - 16 ft. circle is huge!

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Redcliff vs. 8....

Backpacking with 2-3 guys, Redcliff. Basecamp, truck camp, fly in camp, raft trip, etc, 8 person.

The tradeoff is weight vs space, where space equates to comfort.

The weight of the 8 splits up ok backpacking with 3-4 guys. The Redlciff splits up ok for two, good for 3. Cimarron is great split for 2.

The 8 is a more comfortable camp though.

yep, and like most folks I kind of straddle. Most trips will be with 3, with an equal chance of 2 or 4. About 1/3 of the time would be backpacking, about 1/3 leading a few pack horses, and about 1/3 truck camping. Decisions, decisions! :) Squeeze or bring a second tent sometimes in Redcliff (which gives an exile area for the loudest snorer I guess!) with 3/4, vs. occasionally trying to backpack in the 8 between 2 folks.
As much as I'd like the 8 most of the time it seems the Redcliff might make the most sense/offer the most flexibility......

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
2/3 of your trips will be with 3 and horse packing or truck camping. I'd get the bigger shelter.

With all those uses you'll probably wind up with a couple different setups anyway. It's hard to make one shelter fit every use - truck camp & UL backpack, etc.

Photodog

FNG
Curious to know which SO for one man and gear backpacking, and trying to go as light as practical with a stove. What would the stove recommendation would be?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Napperm4

WKR
Curious to know which SO for one man and gear backpacking, and trying to go as light as practical with a stove. What would the stove recommendation would be?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For solo trips I love the LBO Base/Annex with LiteOutdoors 12” stove.

Whole package is around 4 lbs with 5’6” chimney. Weight varies slightly depending on how many / which stakes and guylines I’m packing.

OP
Kevin Dill
It's hard to make one shelter fit every use - truck camp & UL backpack, etc.

So true. Same with backpack, weapon, boots and sleeping bag. And yet we are on budgets...most of us...and try to get as much overlap use as possible. It comes down to hard choices sometimes. If a shelter or any piece of equipment is going to be used in many different hunting scenarios, my advice has always been to get ready to compromise somewhere. Since I very seriously dislike compromising on the important stuff, I've accumulated a lot of good gear over the decades.

As far as shelter size; I will always go with the biggest house I can justify on any trip. That's me...I just need my personal space in a shelter. I cook in there. I want to stand up completely in there. When the weather gets rough, a (more) spacious shelter becomes a valuable luxury adding to dry storage space and the ability to move around inside. Bivy setups and tiny tarps aren't for me and the places I hunt.

Oh...and the olive green 8-man is outstanding. It's maiden voyage is coming up....my annual trip for moose in central AK. I think the color will blend in nicely from the air. It matters on the ground too, as my camp is right on the edge of a major moose corridor. I'm literally hunting as soon as I step outside.