10 man artic tent

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have or use a military surplus 10 man artic tent for a base camp? I am in the market for this type of tent and found a screaming deal on some of these but there is very little info on the web.

I had and used one for a couple decades. They are a very good tent. But you want a liner, mostly to reflect light. They are heavy. They come with a metal center pole (adjustable), but the pole is not always included. They make a great base camp/drive to camp. I use a wood burning stove in mine. Perfect for 3 guys on cots. You could squeeze in a 4th. If you lose the cots, or go with the ultra-light cots, you can likely get one to two more in. For a base camp, truck/car camping/base camp, you could do much worse. They do very well in the wind as long as it doesn't get up under the tent, and lift it (it's all in setting it up correctly). You may want to give what your going to buy a very good once over, as they are very old at this point in time. Since they are canvas, they are subject to rotting if not cared for and stored properly.

OP
John pettimore

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks bubblehide. These come with a liner, no pole, and are supposedly "brand new" (not sure what that means). I'll make sure to look it over good and I plan to use a stove as well. Built one this summer, now just need a tent to put it in and these sound like a good option.