..... suggestions on a bag for colorado .....

mikelogg

FNG
Going to do some off roading car camping in colorado august 8-11-2017 gonna drive some of the passes and camp along the way..
i dont have a sleeping bag and need to choose one not sure weather to go synthetic or down ..gonna be sleeping in a tent which i havent chose either still debating any help on tent or bag would be appreciated.. i was in colorado last week we got a ton of rain seemed like everywhere i went didnt know if the down would be a issue..thanks

mlob1one

WKR
Going to do some off roading car camping in colorado august 8-11-2017 gonna drive some of the passes and camp along the way..
i dont have a sleeping bag and need to choose one not sure weather to go synthetic or down ..gonna be sleeping in a tent which i havent chose either still debating any help on tent or bag would be appreciated.. i was in colorado last week we got a ton of rain seemed like everywhere i went didnt know if the down would be a issue..thanks
With a tent I'd use a down bag (Mont Bell spiral downhugger #3) and that way later you can use it backpacking.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Owenst7

WKR
Car camping in the rock crawlers, I use a 10'x10' Black Pine Turbo Tent. I prefer canvas bags with flannel lining and synthetic insulation when weight is of no concern because they are more comfortable against my skin, and the canvas outer is really durable. Synthetic bags are way cheaper than down, and I'm not concerned about space or weight in the crawlers. My winter solo bag is over 7 lbs. I have the -25F Black Pine 2 person bag that I use with the girlfriend...I think it's like 12 lbs lol.

Backpacking, I use a down bag made by Western Mountaineering that's good for 5 degrees and weighs 3 lbs. It packs smaller than a dodgeball. I bought it used for a little over $300.

eBay is a great source for used down bags if you are knowledgeable. You can learn a lot about what to look for if you spend some time on a few forums researching what makes high end bags more expensive. Loft does more to keep you warm than any other feature.