SO DST tarp pitches

That looks like a pretty awesome setup! Not bad for $130. Would a tarp like that double as a place to lay meat while quartering? Is it sturdy enough to be laid on the ground and piled with gear?

Has anyone ever hung one of these over a hammock?

Dkd

FNG
So how cold do you guys sleep out in your DST? I am planning a run and gun elk hunt 3rd rifle in Colorado (4-5 days out from the truck moving camp daily) and my initial thought was take the DST and batten it down - either in a 3 sided pyramid (I'm short) or now I see the modified a-frame.

The more I think about it, I may be starting to get cold feet (sorry for the bad pun), and thinking I need to find a more enclosed/sturdy shelter. Daylight is short that time of year so it is a lot of time in the tent.

We have the LBO base/tarp/vestibule , it's got to be the most versatile setup! I wanted it for the flexibility, I have 2 boys at home still and some times we are together other times it's 1 or 2 of us out on a trip, take what you want... it all fits, with stakes and cordage in their 10x14 flat pouch.
Options really are unlimited with the 3 pieces.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
So how cold do you guys sleep out in your DST? I am planning a run and gun elk hunt 3rd rifle in Colorado (4-5 days out from the truck moving camp daily) and my initial thought was take the DST and batten it down - either in a 3 sided pyramid (I'm short) or now I see the modified a-frame.

The more I think about it, I may be starting to get cold feet (sorry for the bad pun), and thinking I need to find a more enclosed/sturdy shelter. Daylight is short that time of year so it is a lot of time in the tent.
I've gotten snow while tarping. Take the edges all the way down to the ground and make the sides as steep as possible and it's fine. If you can make a small fire near the head of the tarp it'll help.

Would it be worth adding a stove jack and taking a stove for warmth or just building a fire near the open end?

I'm not trying to make a sweat lodge, just raise the temp 10 or 20 degrees to take the edge off. Would you just take some kind of big spark arrester to put over a camp fire or take a stove and run the stovepipe out the end?

I'm super into the tarp idea all of a sudden. I know I want to get one for auxiliary shelter at base camp but if I could double it as a spike shelter that would be even better.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
Would it be worth adding a stove jack and taking a stove for warmth or just building a fire near the open end?

I'm not trying to make a sweat lodge, just raise the temp 10 or 20 degrees to take the edge off. Would you just take some kind of big spark arrester to put over a camp fire or take a stove and run the stovepipe out the end?

I'm super into the tarp idea all of a sudden. I know I want to get one for auxiliary shelter at base camp but if I could double it as a spike shelter that would be even better.

The times where it was necessary I just built a small fire a few feet in front of the opening of the tarp. If you wanted to get really aggressive you could build a small rock wall (12-18" high) the help reflect the heat into the tarp AND hold heat after the fire is out.

But that would really be for some fairly extreme cold (single digits or less?). Nylon tents do not hold a significant amount of heat from ambient conditions.

Tough time of year. . but I'll make sure to get some serious snow on my DST this fall/winter and I'll try and offer up a couple of different pitches. A well pitched tarp and appropriate quilt/bag for the conditions can allow one to spend time in some significantly austere conditions.

Last edited:

snopro176

WKR
Not he same tarp but possible with any semi square tarp
f96b1732b0564ca6bc8ee04b30b5ec95.jpg
529a385a3d34b546a51e0ed483d08674.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
Here's my hesitation with any folded beak tarp: if there is not a reinforcement patch for either trekking pole to support the ridgeline of the tarp, you're playing with abrasion fire. The DST has a single reinforced patch at the center of the (square) tarp. It just doesn't lend well to folding a beak. I think I'd rather stake the entrance corners inward if I need additional protection.

Probably wouldn't be too hard to have Kevin and his team sew a couple extra reinforcement patches though (at the expense of extra weight).
Not he same tarp but possible with any semi square tarp
f96b1732b0564ca6bc8ee04b30b5ec95.jpg
529a385a3d34b546a51e0ed483d08674.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Same A-frame. . but not staked with the corners stretched. I went in 1x stake loop and angled the door in. I've used this once when there was a significant wind shift was expected. I'll be honest. . it was awesome. I was so dry behind that staked flap. But I was also HOT. Very little ventilation.
View attachment 55135

Do you have the very corner stake loops secured in the back when you do this pitch? And you're just staking 1 loop back from the end on the front side? I agree the diamond is awesome, but I want to have this option down pat in case I have more severe weather move in on me next week. I can't seem to get this pitch to come out taught so feel like I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have the very corner stake loops secured in the back when you do this pitch? And you're just staking 1 loop back from the end on the front side? I agree the diamond is awesome, but I want to have this option down pat in case I have more severe weather move in on me next week. I can't seem to get this pitch to come out taught so feel like I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks!

Yes. Exactly. Back corners are staked to the ground. It's a real secure setup (but does require 2 additional stakes from the 4 I typically carry. I'll either whittle a couple quickly or try and tie off some sections of the tarp to have the stake available. Lots of flexibility.

It's a very secure pitch but beware of condensation on the "enclosed" side of the tarp.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Although there are many ways to pitch the DST as folks have discussed in this thread, this is my favorite way with a trekking pole in the middle and one at the entrance. It's fast to pitch and this photo was taken from a recent high country mule deer hunt where I was mostly sleeping in kicked out deer beds on ridgelines. I had really high winds a couple afternoons/evenings and it held up like a champ.

P1000663.jpg

colonel00

WKR
I really like the idea of using a tarp as an awing/vestibule for tipis. The one thing I don't like about tipis (well I'm sure there are others) is that when it's raining or snowing and you unzip a door, a huge area of the tent is exposed to the rain/snow.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the idea of using a tarp as an awing/vestibule for tipis. The one thing I don't like about tipis (well I'm sure there are others) is that when it's raining or snowing and you unzip a door, a huge area of the tent is exposed to the rain/snow.

DST makes a fabulous porch for my 6-man. I'm sure it'd work fine for an 8-man. I am NOT so sure it's long enough to be of significant value for a 10-man or larger.

I have no data to support that. . nor have I ever had it attached to a Redcliff or Silvertip. . but I bet that'd be awesome!

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
So I gotta say, running one of these for elk hunting this week hasn't been awesome. At all. Apparently I'm a tent guy. Love the space and weight, but not for me. I tried a lot of pitches thanks to this thread, so thanks to everyone who shared!

colersu22

WKR
Me and my buddy used the DST this weekend on an elk hunt and pitched it like Brad did and it was a nice way to go and super easy to pitch even by headlamp when we got up the hill Friday night. For the weight it was good but not a ton of room for 2 plus gear. Definitely will be using it in the early/warmer seasons and taking the cimarron with stove for late/cold seasons.

LaGriz

WKR
coleru33 & MT_Wyatt,

Was the problem being it was too drafty? Trouble with mice or bugs? did you have issues with flapping noise keeping you awake? I'm curious to know what aspect of this type shelter failed you. I have the DST tarp and a SO nest that I pictured my self using (early season) at some point. Were you moving your camp often or did you spike out in one place? If your spike camp is stationary, and/or have a partner to share the load with, one could guess that comfort might justify a larger shelter + a stove. I can sure see that that a "hot tent" would provide an advantage in crappy and cold weather. Thanks for the incite!

LaGriz

colersu22

WKR
coleru33 & MT_Wyatt,

Was the problem being it was too drafty? Trouble with mice or bugs? did you have issues with flapping noise keeping you awake? I'm curious to know what aspect of this type shelter failed you. I have the DST tarp and a SO nest that I pictured my self using (early season) at some point. Were you moving your camp often or did you spike out in one place? If your spike camp is stationary, and/or have a partner to share the load with, one could guess that comfort might justify a larger shelter + a stove. I can sure see that that a "hot tent" would provide an advantage in crappy and cold weather. Thanks for the incite!

LaGriz

I had no problem with the tarp besides the room for gear but we will be using it again when going light weight and on warmer hunts when the stove isn't needed. We moved camp both nights and did not need the extra space or stove so left the Cimarron at home. It was the first time out with the tarp and we only set it up once to seam seal it and try a couple different pitches. We never tried the one Brad posted till this weekend and it was really easy and we staked down the end that was facing the wind, never noticed a draft but that end was tight to the ground and the sides where elevated with the front open.

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
coleru33 & MT_Wyatt,

LaGriz

I'd say all of the above? Drafty, noisy, buggy. After spending a couple hours adjusting pitch to try and get all panels tight to prevent wind flapping I was pretty done. I think it works well for its intended purpose, and is huge inside. Coming from a hilleberg Anjan, i seem to just prefer the simplicity of popping a tent up and weather protection it offers.

I also can't stand the tyvek ground cloth thing. I put all kinds of silicone on the bottom of my pad again, but it still didn't prevent the inside of my shelter turning into a slip and slide. One really big positive is how easy it is the pop up and throw boots on in the shelter, and get water boiling under the beak. Weight is also another obvious plus. But.....for me, as much as I always seem to get into storms, rain, snow and wind, I think a more robust shelter is warranted for my adventures.