SO DST tarp pitches

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
I thought I would throw another round of pictures of how I pitched the DST at my high spike last week for my Idaho mulie hunt. It worked beautifully (again) and bucked sustained 20kt winds the entire first night and following day. A little more traditional pitch (using a tree) but with the foot battened down tight to seal out drafts. Slept great (even slept through my alarm!); cooked in the protection of wind; even did a little glassing from the head. The shelter is just so damn functional it'll likely never leave my pack.
IMG_3529.jpg
IMG_3528.jpg

Well you got me all excited thinking about my DST so I went out and braved the Seattle heat wave to show you the pitches I'm most familiar with. I'll try and explain them as I go.

As I mentioned above. . this is my go to pitch 90% of the time. I can have it up in 120 seconds. It's really versatile on variable terrain. It sheds modest rain and wind well. It provides PLENTY of ventilation. More than enough sitting height. Almost a bit of a porch so running my emberlit stove is not a big deal. Hell I've even used my little titanium SO box stove with the chimney angled away from the door (just for ambiance and to cook).
View attachment 55133

Modified A-Frame. I use this whenever I know it will snow. Note the steeper roof lines. Better for shedding the snow. Probably wasn't necessary. You concede width (obviously) of the floorplan. And you also concede ventilation in the name of shelter.
View attachment 55134

Same A-frame. . but not staked with the corners stretched. I went in 1x stake loop and angled the door in. I've used this once when there was a significant wind shift was expected. I'll be honest. . it was awesome. I was so dry behind that staked flap. But I was also HOT. Very little ventilation.
View attachment 55135

Full Disclosure: I've never used this following pitch with the DST. I'm sure it'd work just as well as other tarps i've used with the same pitch. I also know this: if I'm down to battening down this tight I am no longer enjoying myself. This is no bullsh*t sheltering. If I'm down this tight I'm also likely folding my ground cloth up the side wall of the tarp a little bit on the inside.
View attachment 55136

You mentioned you liked the "Beak". Here you can see the angle of the battened down flaps make at the vertical support at the head of the shelter.
View attachment 55138

Now here's what I do: I always carry 5 stakes and 2x10' 3mm lines. The flying diamond requires 4x anchor points. The modified A-frame: 5 anchors. Secure a single flap: 6 anchors. Both Flaps: 7 anchors. I say again I carry 5 stakes. The night I needed to secure a flap I had to tie off a corner (the reason I carry 2x lengths of line).

The most versatile piece of gear in my pack!

Hope this helps. Anxious to see other pitches!

Thanks a lot for those pictures. Super helpful

Last edited:

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
You bet. Next time I'm home and thinking about it, I'll put together a few other pitches I've used.

There's been some low level discussion with the SO team of producing a Dyneema (Cuben fiber) DST. I told Kevin I'd be the first in line to purchase one. Maybe they'll be able to work something out!

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
You bet. Next time I'm home and thinking about it, I'll put together a few other pitches I've used.

There's been some low level discussion with the SO team of producing a Dyneema (Cuben fiber) DST. I told Kevin I'd be the first in line to purchase one. Maybe they'll be able to work something out!

Put me down as 2nd.

If you lay this thing flat, is it square, or is there any sort of catenary cut? Just wondering if it is a regular 10x10 except with the reinforced patch in the center, or something else fancy going on.

Thanks

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

How would you rate the construction quality? Comparable to kifaru, or does it look cheap? I have a tarp from another popular brand here.... Construction quality is lacking and just wondering what to expect....

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
If you lay this thing flat, is it square, or is there any sort of catenary cut? Just wondering if it is a regular 10x10 except with the reinforced patch in the center, or something else fancy going on.

Thanks

I can't detect any shaped cut to the edges.

The fancy part is the reinforced center patch (and it is beefy). The number of pitches one can make because of that and the number of guy-outs is what makes the DST so versatile.

Alas, it is a 10x10 square, sil-nylon tarp.

I can't detect an you shaped cut to the edges.

The fancy part is the reinforced center patch (and it is beefy). The number of pitches one can make because of that and the number of guy-outs is what makes the DST so versatile.

Alas, it is a 10x10 square, sil-nylon tarp.
Thats great. Flat tarps are imo the most versatile. I wish more manufacturers would include the reinforced area, plus it has a loop so a tree can be used! I have a 10x10 dd hammocks flat tarp with reinforcements and guy outs everywhere, which makes it versatile, but on the other hand it weighs alot because they use a heavy fabric. Excited about this one from SO.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
How would you rate the construction quality? Comparable to kifaru, or does it look cheap? I have a tarp from another popular brand here.... Construction quality is lacking and just wondering what to expect....

I beat the hell out of mine. Like the rest of my Seek Outside products. But the DST is always in my pack year round. It's been a ski shelter, protected a campfires from rain when oystering, hunting shelter.

I have no experience with the Kifaru products.

But Seek will do everything they can to make you a happy customer if you're unsatisfied with the quality or longevity.

Thats great. Flat tarps are imo the most versatile. I wish more manufacturers would include the reinforced area, plus it has a loop so a tree can be used! I have a 10x10 dd hammocks flat tarp with reinforcements and guy outs everywhere, which makes it versatile, but on the other hand it weighs alot because they use a heavy fabric. Excited about this one from SO.

very good quality

Alright, have had the DST in my cart for a couple of days and have been researching other tarps for comparison.

I think I am ready to pull the trigger!
Heres what I have been looking for: a square flat tarp (silnylon, ripstop too heavy and cuben too spendy) with some sort of tie out on the ridgeline and the ability to shove a pole or stick inside without worrying about puncturing the fabric.

The Dst checks all these boxes and so does..... Nothing else from what I find.

Am I missing anything? I already have three other tarps which dont meet my needs so I want to be careful. At $129 It is about the same cost as getting a custom somewhere else... Anyone decide the dst wasnt for them after using?

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
The Dst checks all these boxes and so does..... Nothing else from what I find.

Thus the reason it is such a highly regarded and popular tarp. A cuben version would be EPIC in this design. . . but alas, the Sil-Nylon is really really good.

I think MT Marine didn't care for his nights under it. He posted earlier in this thread.

Thus the reason it is such a highly regarded and popular tarp. A cuben version would be EPIC in this design. . . but alas, the Sil-Nylon is really really good.

I think MT Marine didn't care for his nights under it. He posted earlier in this thread.
Yeah I just re read it. I was using a tarp some years ago. Actually it was the fly from an old tent i rigged up between trees. I too have a hilleberg anjan and it is nice to just throw up, but for something besides sideways rain I like tarps. The square one I have is a good tarp with tie outs and reinforcements but just too damn heavy, almost two pounds. I bought that years ago before i even knew what silnylon was. I have a Jimmy tarps skyline but despite what it could be marketed as, it does not lend well to anything besides a frame, hence no versatility. Really excited for the dst, and yet, confused not more makers do similar designs for a flat tarp with the ability to support it away from the edge. Seems like a no brainer.

Well you got me all excited thinking about my DST so I went out and braved the Seattle heat wave to show you the pitches I'm most familiar with. I'll try and explain them as I go.

As I mentioned above. . this is my go to pitch 90% of the time. I can have it up in 120 seconds. It's really versatile on variable terrain. It sheds modest rain and wind well. It provides PLENTY of ventilation. More than enough sitting height. Almost a bit of a porch so running my emberlit stove is not a big deal. Hell I've even used my little titanium SO box stove with the chimney angled away from the door (just for ambiance and to cook).
View attachment 55133

Modified A-Frame. I use this whenever I know it will snow. Note the steeper roof lines. Better for shedding the snow. Probably wasn't necessary. You concede width (obviously) of the floorplan. And you also concede ventilation in the name of shelter.
View attachment 55134

Same A-frame. . but not staked with the corners stretched. I went in 1x stake loop and angled the door in. I've used this once when there was a significant wind shift was expected. I'll be honest. . it was awesome. I was so dry behind that staked flap. But I was also HOT. Very little ventilation.
View attachment 55135

Full Disclosure: I've never used this following pitch with the DST. I'm sure it'd work just as well as other tarps i've used with the same pitch. I also know this: if I'm down to battening down this tight I am no longer enjoying myself. This is no bullsh*t sheltering. If I'm down this tight I'm also likely folding my ground cloth up the side wall of the tarp a little bit on the inside.
View attachment 55136

You mentioned you liked the "Beak". Here you can see the angle of the battened down flaps make at the vertical support at the head of the shelter.
View attachment 55138

Now here's what I do: I always carry 5 stakes and 2x10' 3mm lines. The flying diamond requires 4x anchor points. The modified A-frame: 5 anchors. Secure a single flap: 6 anchors. Both Flaps: 7 anchors. I say again I carry 5 stakes. The night I needed to secure a flap I had to tie off a corner (the reason I carry 2x lengths of line).

The most versatile piece of gear in my pack!

Hope this helps. Anxious to see other pitches!
Ellsworb,

I your modified A-frame without the door flaps, do you know off hand about what width and trekking pole height you are using? Also the order of setup? I ask because when I try to do this configuration on my similar but not as good square tarp (waiting for the DST!) After I put in the pole in the middle, I have alot of slack fabric at the closed end. Then when I try and tighten it in the back by moving the pegs around it screws up the entrance. I know there must be an optimal set of dimensions. I have been running the beak configuration shown on this thread and am trying to move to this modified a-frame to utilize the features of the Dst when I get it.

Thanks

This is what I am ending up with and would like to avoid, all this slack at the closed end, aka windcatchers
4dcb6228618db4ae44dbed5dbbaa7cf3.jpg

Stuie88

FNG
This is an awesome thread. Im changing over to a 3x3 tarp/bivy set up and this thread is solid gold. Thanks for the pics guys

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
Ellsworb,

I your modified A-frame without the door flaps, do you know off hand about what width and trekking pole height you are using? Also the order of setup? I ask because when I try to do this configuration on my similar but not as good square tarp (waiting for the DST!) After I put in the pole in the middle, I have alot of slack fabric at the closed end. Then when I try and tighten it in the back by moving the pegs around it screws up the entrance. I know there must be an optimal set of dimensions. I have been running the beak configuration shown on this thread and am trying to move to this modified a-frame to utilize the features of the Dst when I get it.

Thanks

Hey dude. Width varies based on how high I'm pitching. But I don't say generally the front is ~72" wide and the rear is the full 9', pitched to the ground. Pole height at front is ~48", but I don't have a specific length used, rather I set the height for the most taught pitch. Same for the middle pole.

If you look closely at this picture I posted last year: http://www.rokslide.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55134&d=1501631066
You'll see what appears to be a very subtle flare outward of the corners as you look from front to back.

In your example photo, my guess is you didn't stake the rear corners far enough apart. I literally stake them tight and directly to the ground.

Order of staking (for the a-frame): lay tarp flat. Stake rear corners to ground and tight. Stake front corners tight to rear but with enoug belly at the front for pole to raise the peak (approx 72" width). Insert pole at front and guy out. Insert middle pole. Tinker as necessary.

On sil-nylon tarps I really put some stretch into the fabric.

One note, though, for the DST: the flying diamond is really the superior pitch... and plenty weather resistant for all but the steadiest or heaviest downpours... and it's a cinch to setup.

Last edited:
Hey dude. Width varies based on how high I'm pitching. But I don't say generally the front is ~72" wide and the rear is the full 9', pitched to the ground. Pole height at front is ~48", but I don't have a specific length used, rather I set the height for the most taught pitch. Same for the middle pole.

If you look closely at this picture I posted last year: http://www.rokslide.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55134&d=1501631066
You'll see what appears to be a very subtle flare outward of the corners as you look from front to back.

In your example photo, my guess is you didn't stake the rear corners far enough apart. I literally stake them tight and directly to the ground.

Order of staking (for the a-frame): lay tarp flat. Stake rear corners to ground and tight. Stake front corners tight to rear but with enoug belly at the front for pole to raise the peak (approx 72" width). Insert pole at front and guy out. Insert middle pole. Tinker as necessary.

On sil-nylon tarps I really put some stretch into the fabric.

The finally note, though, for the DST: the flying diamond is really the superior pitch... and plenty weather resistant for all but the steadiest or heaviest downpours... and it's a cinch to setup.
Awesome man thanks. I think this tarp (not silnylon and practically zero stretch) probably wont be as flexible as the dst will be. Looking forward!

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
What is the material? Unless it's dyneema, I've never worked with a material that I didn't have to put some stretch on in order to get a taught pitch.

Also, in the Aframe, I strive to have the front be the highest point. So that means pulling the front of the trap taught before insterting the middle pole. I want *some* slope to the shelter from front to rear (with the rear facing both into the wind and down slope).