SO DST tarp pitches

What is the material? Unless it's dyneema, I've never worked with a material that I didn't have to put some stretch on in order to get a taught pitch.

Also, in the Aframe, I strive to have the front be the highest point. So that means pulling the front of the trap taught before insterting the middle pole. I want *some* slope to the shelter from front to rear (with the rear facing both into the wind and down slope).
190T polyester. Thing weighs 27 Oz or something

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

Dst tarp finally arrived! When I got home from the post office it was near dark but I have it set up in the closed a-frame pitch right now. Took about 3 minutes, fool proof pitch. Tomorrow I will set it up in a few different arrangements and take pictures, and them seam seal it. I really hope to find a chance to use it in the woods before heading out to sea. Thanks ellsworb and others for your input and encouragement about this tarp. Construction looks great and I think I am really going to enjoy it!

Squirrels

WKR
Anything overly special about the DST that would be difficult to make one? If it's just a 10x10 tarp with a center reinforcement? Asking for myself before I buy material.

Anything overly special about the DST that would be difficult to make one? If it's just a 10x10 tarp with a center reinforcement? Asking for myself before I buy material.
I think thats probably it. If you can sew, make one. I certainly would if I could sew/had a sewing machine. Post pics when you get it done!

I probably wont have time to use this for a couple months as I am heading back to work in a couple days, but wanted to see if my dd hammocks net tent would fit for the buggier parts of summer. DSC_0206.jpg

I just got this DST, getting familiar with it.

Modified diamond or plow pitch. I used the pole from the Silvertip out front, so about 60". Then pushed a trekking pole into the reinforcement. Had about 20 mph wind from behind, tarp stood strong. Felt nice and calm under it.

1BYFu09.jpg

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
Nice pitches fellas. The flying diamond (modified diamond) really is my 80% solution for the areas I'm in. It provides so much coverage and can go up so fast that I'm almost too lazy to do anything else. If I KNOW it's going to RAIN or SNOW (not just mist, shower or sprinkle), that's when I'll lean towards the modified A-frame with the foot of the tarp anchored all the way to the ground.

The most versatile piece of gear in my pack.

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
Nice Shane. What, they wouldn't make you a green one?
I'm thinking one of these would pull double duty as a stand alone shelter for run and gun, and an extra large vestibule for the end of my Silvertip. Has anyone rigged it up in a diamond pitch attaching the corner to the peak?

I didn't ask about green, but the brown shipped the next day. I like both colors, had a brown BT-2 before also.

I haven't tried rigging it to the Silvertip peak, but I saw a pic further up the thread where someone did rig the DST as an awning with one of the other SO shelters. Looks fairly easy to do a vestibule type 'back room' on the Silvertip.

Last edited:

sveltri

WKR
A different pitch for the DST, I'd like to get a couple additional reinforcements added to the seam for this pitch, or figure out something to put on top of the trekking pole for protection.

ayObe6J.jpg

Gi9rRgv.jpg

gabenzeke

WKR
For those of you using this tarp, do you also run a bivy? I have a down quilt, so don't want it to get wet. We're talking Colorado, so not super rainy, but I've been in a few rain/hail/snow storms.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Be interesting to see what a dyneema version would weigh. It seems like a very versatile piece but at 19.5 ounces with stuff sack (does that include stakes/tie outs?) I couldn't justify it unless it is the primary shelter brought. Too many pyramid options in that same weight ball park that could be packed up daily and more "emergency" style tarps at 10-12 ounces if you want to leave your tent set up.

Hunter6

WKR
So reading all these post prompted me to get a DST. It arrived and I set it up in the back yard a few different ways. This is a very easy tarp to use. Definitely going to be my primary shelter for early season this year. It offers a lot more room than I thought it would. Could easily get two and gear inside.

664d91b4c773d44f39b5f41efa998519.jpg
f28ed5d38c82e030aeb2fa0997edb036.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
Be interesting to see what a dyneema version would weigh. It seems like a very versatile piece but at 19.5 ounces with stuff sack (does that include stakes/tie outs?) I couldn't justify it unless it is the primary shelter brought. Too many pyramid options in that same weight ball park that could be packed up daily and more "emergency" style tarps at 10-12 ounces if you want to leave your tent set up.

Email SO and let em know you're interested in a Dyneema version...