SO DST tarp pitches

Muttly

WKR
Me too! Got a DST that gets drug around a lot, plan to round up another one to throw in my wife's pack. Wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if they came out with a lighter weight version.

fap1800

Lil-Rokslider
This has been a great thread. I was in need of a quick setup shelter for getting out of the rain and/or spiking and this prompted me to get a DST.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
More Pitches

Just a couple more shots of what I consider to be my "typical" pitch for moderate winds and light precipitation. Big enough for me on my helinox cot and 3 large dogs by a mile! Makes for quick and light fly in fish camp!
IMG_4243.jpgIMG_4261.jpgIMG_4253.jpg

Here are a couple pics of the flying diamond from a quick solstice bikepacking trip. Center pole right at 48”
bdeb02b31c4aaeece420a45135ec07c9.heic

3e7754bc02143d35dfb8afca9c7373a5.heic

278512b92a7dc034e777f8b40ea7431b.heic

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Just ordered a DST to use as a shelter for bivy style hunting as well as a rain, wind or sun protection when glassing. What length guy lines should I use? I want to be able to pitch the tarp in a lot of different configurations. So what length will be best? I am planing on using a line lok 3 on the guy line as well.

Thanks guys.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
Just ordered a DST to use as a shelter for bivy style hunting as well as a rain, wind or sun protection when glassing. What length guy lines should I use? I want to be able to pitch the tarp in a lot of different configurations. So what length will be best? I am planing on using a line lok 3 on the guy line as well.

Thanks guys.
I use a single, 15’ length of 2.5mm cordage with reflector strips in it. I keep it permanently attached to one of the corners of the tarp. If I find the need for a 2d guy out, I’ll just grab some cordage that I carry in the pack... but that has been exceedingly rare.

Enjoy!

superA

WKR
Some of the pitches you guys have are amazing (that sounds weird). Any tips on setting them up in winds for a newb? How do you make sure the edges are too far apart so that a high ceiling can be obtained?

Some of the pitches you guys have are amazing (that sounds weird). Any tips on setting them up in winds for a newb? How do you make sure the edges are too far apart so that a high ceiling can be obtained?
Trial and error in the back yard first. Once you have experimented and found something that consistently works well, tying a guy line at the correct length for say, the spacing on the ground that gives you the correct height, that can be a guide for future reference

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Ordered one. I REALLY want one in Cuben, but I don't think I'll be able to get one by September, so this will do for now.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
Ordered one. I REALLY want one in Cuben, but I don't think I'll be able to get one by September, so this will do for now.

+1. I've been hounding them for a Dyneema DST for the better part of a year now. . .Kevin, Angela, Becca. . . are you hearing this!?

In the mean time, my silnylon DST is easily the most versatile shelter I've carried. . . ever.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider

If there is any wind at all, I automatically go to the "Flying Diamond" pitch (the most common pitch you see). Start by staking the corner of the tarp to the ground and into the wind. Next, stake the side corners to the ground to the approximate width necessary for height. This is a judgement call based on how high you plan to make the roof of the pitch. Honestly, it doesn't matter all that much. I find people are more picky about their taughtness than I really am. . .though a taught pitch of a tarp sure is satisfying. Finally, insert trekking pole or other vertical member into the tarp's head corner (or tie off to a tree) and stake it. Insert the inner vertical member on the reinforced center patch and enjoy your shelter!

That sure seems like a lot of words for what ends up being only about 2 min of setup. No joke, just mess with it when you are outside. I've found it to be exceedingly intuitive.

Anyone using some sort of nest for the times the bugs are bad? For instance, right now, they are terrible and will be for another few weeks. After that, its pretty manageable. But when its so hot like right now, I dont want to use a tent. Which nests fit well under the DST?

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk