SO DST tarp pitches

Anyone using some sort of nest for the times the bugs are bad? For instance, right now, they are terrible and will be for another few weeks. After that, its pretty manageable. But when its so hot like right now, I dont want to use a tent. Which nests fit well under the DST?

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

I have been thinking about the same thing.

Product Minimalist 1 Page

This one from bear paw designs has caught my eye but there are a lot to choose from.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
How many people do you need nested? Here's the reason I ask: If it's 2 people, I'm real confident I could use the LBO nest with the peak anchored to the inner vertical pole or stick. If you only need to sleep 1, the single Pyramid Net by Sea to Summit has me really curious. . .also rigged from the inner vertical support.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to try either of them. . . I don't seem to end up in very buggy situations.

How many people do you need nested? Here's the reason I ask: If it's 2 people, I'm real confident I could use the LBO nest with the peak anchored to the inner vertical pole or stick. If you only need to sleep 1, the single Pyramid Net by Sea to Summit has me really curious. . .also rigged from the inner vertical support.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to try either of them. . . I don't seem to end up in very buggy situations.
1 person, but the thing I dont like about the sea to summit is that it lacks a floor, kind of why the hilleberg mesh ridge or whatever is also worthless to me. Funny also, because they show in the pictures them using it over patches of lingonberry and blueberry. Let me tell you, THEY certainly wouldnt go floorless on that!

I have a mesh tent from dd hammocks, but it weighs over a pound and isn't optimized for tarps. Perhaps a borah bug bivy would be best, just wondering what anyone might actually be using. Most of the time its good weather for tarps, the bugs arent a real problem. I just hate bringing a tent (bulkier) when the weather is warmest

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
1 person, but the thing I dont like about the sea to summit is that it lacks a floor, kind of why the hilleberg mesh ridge or whatever is also worthless to me. Funny also, because they show in the pictures them using it over patches of lingonberry and blueberry. Let me tell you, THEY certainly wouldnt go floorless on that!

I have a mesh tent from dd hammocks, but it weighs over a pound and isn't optimized for tarps. Perhaps a borah bug bivy would be best, just wondering what anyone might actually be using. Most of the time its good weather for tarps, the bugs arent a real problem. I just hate bringing a tent (bulkier) when the weather is warmest

That's fair. To be honest, I kind of dismissed that (not having a floor) early on.. but now reconsidering. . if I'm going to the effort of being protected from bugs, I think I'd want a floor too.

That's fair. To be honest, I kind of dismissed that (not having a floor) early on.. but now reconsidering. . if I'm going to the effort of being protected from bugs, I think I'd want a floor too.

I bought one of those sea to summit nets. Interesting but but a full solution. I am going to keep it as a possible backup when I go without a nest. If I was heading into bug country I want a nest with a floor or a tent. Too many nights getting eaten alive to play around.

H'n'F

Lil-Rokslider
My DST arrived tonight and I set it up right away. I think it will be great. I have a Luxe tipi with a nest that I use when bugs are a possibility, but I think the tarp will be in my pack as well. If I have to follow a herd, it should fit the bill nicely.
828e5f5862ad793092ae4c72a89c041f.jpg
5b216c22a044b4f2247102b84231d8c2.jpg
c6ee45cac0002050b74118ca58456b25.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My DST arrived tonight and I set it up right away. I think it will be great. I have a Luxe tipi with a nest that I use when bugs are a possibility, but I think the tarp will be in my pack as well. If I have to follow a herd, it should fit the bill nicely.

Nice pics!

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
Nice Pitch! Did you play around with any other setups, for flying diamond only?

H'n'F

Lil-Rokslider
I only had a few minutes before softball so I only tried the one pitch. I'll play around with it some more this weekend if it stays under 100F. I have been dreaming up ways to pitch it so we'll see how it goes.

H'n'F

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have to use any tip covers on your trekking poles to avoid puncture?
I ran it tip up in the front, through a loop, and tip down in the center. No puncture worries that way. I played with a modified A-frame at the lake today. The pitch needs some work but the family wanted to go back out on the water. It has potential to be great at shedding wind if steaked out well.
f6c49d9b858fe4210c260ae01776b818.jpg
65388eae9984ce46cd207623788e7c3d.jpg

colersu22

WKR
That’s how I set mine up 90% of the time but have that center pole longer to get more usable space and I guy out the front corners to make it wider. If it wasn’t pouring rain I would set it up since I need to seam seal the second one I just picked up.

H'n'F

Lil-Rokslider
That’s how I set mine up 90% of the time but have that center pole longer to get more usable space and I guy out the front corners to make it wider. If it wasn’t pouring rain I would set it up since I need to seam seal the second one I just picked up.
It's pouring here, too! I only had one pole in that last pitch. I was playing with options for single pole pitches so I can use the other one for my tipi or have it available to use on an initial load out. It's like playing with a new toy. I haven't seen this many eye rolls out of wife since I told her I need a back-up bow for elk season...

mcseal2

WKR
I ordered one of these also. I was looking on their site ordering a 2nd liner half for the 8 man tipi we are taking to AK for our moose hunt this September and thought this would be just right to keep in my daypack for a shelter. I'm sure we will get plenty of rain, might end up glassing and calling from under it some I figure. I also do a bunch of camping on sandbars while catfishing the river near home. I have a 1648 jon boat modified quite a bit with a 31HP Mud Buddy surface drive motor so I can get to the remote spots the outboard boats can't reach. I don't really start looking for fishing spots until I'm past a tough to navigate area they can't access. I've been using a Kifaru Megatarp for all my sandbar camping because I can pitch it tight to the ground, even put a bit of sand over the edges, to shed wind on the exposed sandbars. To be out near the waters edge where I can hear the bait clickers on my rods when I get a bite I end up being really exposed. I think this might replace the expensive Megatarp for my fishing shelter after seeing all the pitches. If I get it pitched right I think it will be fine in the wind, and be cooler on nicer nights pitched higher. Thanks everyone.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
Gorgeous pitch!

I believe this one is called a “half pyramid” amongst the ultralight backpacker circles. Pitched low like that, one can endure a hell of a storm might I suggest, humbly, that you try this next time. The “back” of the shelter, aft of the single support pole and staked to the ground... consider folding the tarp under and using the next closer stake out loops... it does 3 things: 1 - allows for a steeper shelter roof (even when pitched low) granting more usable sheltered space in a smaller footprint. 2 - you now have a built in sod skirt and partial ground cloth for keeping things dry or clean. 3 - puts the center “pull out” loop in a much better position for a 2d pole to guy out from the outside (vs. pushing out from underneath).

Lots of words for what is a really intuitive setup once you see it. I literally just had mine setup this way in my yard but didn’t take any pics. Damn.

I ran it tip up in the front, through a loop, and tip down in the center. No puncture worries that way. I played with a modified A-frame at the lake today. The pitch needs some work but the family wanted to go back out on the water. It has potential to be great at shedding wind if steaked out well.
f6c49d9b858fe4210c260ae01776b818.jpg
65388eae9984ce46cd207623788e7c3d.jpg

colersu22

WKR
Got the second dst all seam sealed today, here is how I pitch mine 90% of the time.

aQjrdtL.jpg

dGkoGX1.jpg

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Got mine a couple days ago. Just now got around to setting it up. Took, literally, less than 1 minute my first try. I think I'm gonna love this thing. Doggo loves it too, it seems.

8PJhesO.jpg

Last edited:
Gorgeous pitch!

I believe this one is called a “half pyramid” amongst the ultralight backpacker circles. Pitched low like that, one can endure a hell of a storm might I suggest, humbly, that you try this next time. The “back” of the shelter, aft of the single support pole and staked to the ground... consider folding the tarp under and using the next closer stake out loops... it does 3 things: 1 - allows for a steeper shelter roof (even when pitched low) granting more usable sheltered space in a smaller footprint. 2 - you now have a built in sod skirt and partial ground cloth for keeping things dry or clean. 3 - puts the center “pull out” loop in a much better position for a 2d pole to guy out from the outside (vs. pushing out from underneath).

Lots of words for what is a really intuitive setup once you see it. I literally just had mine setup this way in my yard but didn’t take any pics. Damn.

I think this is the pitch you are describing. I haven't tried it with the DST yet, but should work great with the reinforced center cone.

This is a DD Tarps 10x14, but same idea. Back corners folder under, second trekking pole in the center.

9J9DQqU.jpg

joLgfI7.jpg