SO DST tarp pitches

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Does anyone run one of these? I'm thinking about using one for archery elk this year in Montana. Seems to fit the bill for light solo shelter and I can run a cimmaron when with 2 people. I'm only 5'8" so shelters are easy for me length wise. Looking at the DST instead of a silvertip for solo outings.

- In the A frame pitch, like a super tarp, can I close the front down more for rough weather, like a "beak?" I'm curious if there's enough length in the tarp to close it down more like that.
- any pictures of possible pitches that could be posted?

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Back yard Photos I took last year of mine that I just sold. Should give you some ideas.
mgtEEMe.jpg

AQtYnZC.jpg

lRz5JBG.jpg

A4Dvymm.jpg

sr80

WKR
interested in this as well, i placed an order for a DST. But i couldnt really find much of info or reviews on the tarp.

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
I got one earlier this year and its awesome to use . Easily set up like above pics . Light and packs small . I use trekking poles and Ruta carbon fiber stakes. Will use it as a emergency shelter in later season .

Matt21418

Lil-Rokslider
I have added two reinforcement points to have additional pitching options this allows the tarp to be pitched similar to the super tarp with a beak.
af4236551b9f94f20cac25b5b5c5b54f.jpg

Matt

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
My opinion is that the DST is BEST pitched in a flying diamond with the center reinforcement patch pushed out with a trekking pole or branch. It's a very secure shelter in that configuration. In fact. . unless I am in need of doing something else. . it's about the only pitch I use.

As long as you can pitch the low end in to the wind. . that flying diamond will be an excellent pitch. The tarp is big enough that you can go really deep inside of it.

For more security (in the flying diamond) instead of staking the entrance corners. . I've used 1 stake loop back and folded the entrance flaps towards the vertical support for a bit of a fixed door. It's a really; really secure shelter with that!

This is why I love tarps so much. And the DST has the ability to use it in so many different configurations that it no longer leaves my pack!

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Thanks so far to everyone, really helpful responses for sure. If anyone else has pictures of one pitched and how you can close the front down a bit I would really appreciate seeing them. Going to try one of these out for sure!

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
I'll try and sneak out after the sun starts going down and take some photo's of a couple of different pitches. But in the mean time here are a couple of different pics of how I've used the DST so far. Note the size compared to the SO 6-man tipi.

This is how I pitch the tarp 90% of the time. It's very secure and very water tight. I can tuck way deep into the low edges (even at 6'2".
IMG_2949.jpg
I was also looking for a more sheltered way of entering my 6-man tipi during the rainy days here in the PacNW. My wife and I very much enjoy outdoor adventures throughout the rainy months because of the lack of crowds. This is the ticket for just have a dry place to hang out and prepare to enter the hot tent!
IMG_2951.jpg

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
#tarplife

Well you got me all excited thinking about my DST so I went out and braved the Seattle heat wave to show you the pitches I'm most familiar with. I'll try and explain them as I go.

As I mentioned above. . this is my go to pitch 90% of the time. I can have it up in 120 seconds. It's really versatile on variable terrain. It sheds modest rain and wind well. It provides PLENTY of ventilation. More than enough sitting height. Almost a bit of a porch so running my emberlit stove is not a big deal. Hell I've even used my little titanium SO box stove with the chimney angled away from the door (just for ambiance and to cook).
IMG_3313.jpg

Modified A-Frame. I use this whenever I know it will snow. Note the steeper roof lines. Better for shedding the snow. Probably wasn't necessary. You concede width (obviously) of the floorplan. And you also concede ventilation in the name of shelter.
IMG_3314.jpg

Same A-frame. . but not staked with the corners stretched. I went in 1x stake loop and angled the door in. I've used this once when there was a significant wind shift was expected. I'll be honest. . it was awesome. I was so dry behind that staked flap. But I was also HOT. Very little ventilation.
IMG_3315.jpg

Full Disclosure: I've never used this following pitch with the DST. I'm sure it'd work just as well as other tarps i've used with the same pitch. I also know this: if I'm down to battening down this tight I am no longer enjoying myself. This is no bullsh*t sheltering. If I'm down this tight I'm also likely folding my ground cloth up the side wall of the tarp a little bit on the inside.
IMG_3319.jpg

You mentioned you liked the "Beak". Here you can see the angle of the battened down flaps make at the vertical support at the head of the shelter.
IMG_3318.jpg

Now here's what I do: I always carry 5 stakes and 2x10' 3mm lines. The flying diamond requires 4x anchor points. The modified A-frame: 5 anchors. Secure a single flap: 6 anchors. Both Flaps: 7 anchors. I say again I carry 5 stakes. The night I needed to secure a flap I had to tie off a corner (the reason I carry 2x lengths of line).

The most versatile piece of gear in my pack!

Hope this helps. Anxious to see other pitches!

Last edited:
OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Well you got me all excited thinking about my DST so I went out and braved the Seattle heat wave to show you the pitches I'm most familiar with. I'll try and explain them as I go.

As I mentioned above. . this is my go to pitch 90% of the time. I can have it up in 120 seconds. It's really versatile on variable terrain. It sheds modest rain and wind well. It provides PLENTY of ventilation. More than enough sitting height. Almost a bit of a porch so running my emberlit stove is not a big deal. Hell I've even used my little titanium SO box stove with the chimney angled away from the door (just for ambiance and to cook).
View attachment 55133

Modified A-Frame. I use this whenever I know it will snow. Note the steeper roof lines. Better for shedding the snow. Probably wasn't necessary. You concede width (obviously) of the floorplan. And you also concede ventilation in the name of shelter.
View attachment 55134

Same A-frame. . but not staked with the corners stretched. I went in 1x stake loop and angled the door in. I've used this once when there was a significant wind shift was expected. I'll be honest. . it was awesome. I was so dry behind that staked flap. But I was also HOT. Very little ventilation.
View attachment 55135

Full Disclosure: I've never used this following pitch with the DST. I'm sure it'd work just as well as other tarps i've used with the same pitch. I also know this: if I'm down to battening down this tight I am no longer enjoying myself. This is no bullsh*t sheltering. If I'm down this tight I'm also likely folding my ground cloth up the side wall of the tarp a little bit on the inside.
View attachment 55136

You mentioned you liked the "Beak". Here you can see the angle of the battened down flaps make at the vertical support at the head of the shelter.
View attachment 55138

Now here's what I do: I always carry 5 stakes and 2x10' 3mm lines. The flying diamond requires 4x anchor points. The modified A-frame: 5 anchors. Secure a single flap: 6 anchors. Both Flaps: 7 anchors. I say again I carry 5 stakes. The night I needed to secure a flap I had to tie off a corner (the reason I carry 2x lengths of line).

The most versatile piece of gear in my pack!

Hope this helps. Anxious to see other pitches!

Thanks SO much for doing that, I sincerely appreciate you pitching that thing all those ways, this will be a valuable reference for the future. Beyond what I was hoping for.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks SO much for doing that, I sincerely appreciate you pitching that thing all those ways, this will be a valuable reference for the future. Beyond what I was hoping for.

No problem. Like I said: I get pretty excited with tarps.

Admittedly I am a Seek Outside fanboy.

But I have been a Tarp guy for years. If you're already comfortable floorless. . get a tarp and try it. Just once. It will be liberating.

Here's my biggest piece of advice: The tarp is going to shed moisture better than you think. Usually MUCH better than you think. ALWAYS consider air flow. Air flow + weather protection = you grinning under your quilt watching nature do what it does.

VENTILATION VENTILATION VENTILATION

colersu22

WKR
I'll try and sneak out after the sun starts going down and take some photo's of a couple of different pitches. But in the mean time here are a couple of different pics of how I've used the DST so far. Note the size compared to the SO 6-man tipi.

This is how I pitch the tarp 90% of the time. It's very secure and very water tight. I can tuck way deep into the low edges (even at 6'2".
View attachment 55130
I was also looking for a more sheltered way of entering my 6-man tipi during the rainy days here in the PacNW. My wife and I very much enjoy outdoor adventures throughout the rainy months because of the lack of crowds. This is the ticket for just have a dry place to hang out and prepare to enter the hot tent!
View attachment 55131

How do you attach the DST to the top of the tipi? Looks like a great idea to get a vestibule and I could probably do the same with my cimarron.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for posting those pics. I'm even more excited for the DST after seeing those! Looks like a very versatile tarp
I've told Kevin this before. . but I believe the DST is the best 10'x10' tarp on the market. It's not the lightest on the market. But it is the most versatile square tarp I've put in my hands. It's heavier than my Cuben square tarp by several ounces. . but I don't dare put the same tension on that cuben as I do this tarp.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
How do you attach the DST to the top of the tipi? Looks like a great idea to get a vestibule and I could probably do the same with my cimarron.

I just connect a corner of the DST to the hanging loop on my Tipi with a small titanium carabiner.

Indeed it makes for a lovely sitting/changing/prep/gear storage area. It's not water tight. . . but that's not what I was going for. It's just a sheltered area.

Now I make no illusion to think it's robust enough to withstand any type of breeze. . in fact Kevin warned me about any significant wind and the damage that may result. . . but I haven't been let down yet!

CaNINE

FNG
Great thread. I've been using the DST for 3 years. Great versatility for weekend bivy trips. I carry it in my day pack for rigging up impromptu glassing shelters if needed.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
Great thread. I've been using the DST for 3 years. Great versatility for weekend bivy trips. I carry it in my day pack for rigging up impromptu glassing shelters if needed.

Show us some of your pitches! Also. . are you using a bivy sack under the tarp? I haven't been with my down quilt.

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
83d1628bffe9abaa81e12955d0fe8833.jpg
0549cc6410f513c7695f02fe44188c21.jpg

First outing with the DST, did the diamond and more enclosed pitches. Great wind break this afternoon.

CaNINE

FNG
View attachment 56163
Show us some of your pitches! Also. . are you using a bivy sack under the tarp? I haven't been with my down quilt.
Im also using the flying diamond for most of my pitches. For View attachment 56162impromptu glassing shelters I use a half diamond with the rear pole on the outside and rear wall pulled inboard to create a small alcove.

IMG_0068.jpgIMG_0072.jpg

Last edited:

blutooth

Lil-Rokslider
So how cold do you guys sleep out in your DST? I am planning a run and gun elk hunt 3rd rifle in Colorado (4-5 days out from the truck moving camp daily) and my initial thought was take the DST and batten it down - either in a 3 sided pyramid (I'm short) or now I see the modified a-frame.

The more I think about it, I may be starting to get cold feet (sorry for the bad pun), and thinking I need to find a more enclosed/sturdy shelter. Daylight is short that time of year so it is a lot of time in the tent.