Talk me out of a Seek Outside 6-man

hunt1up

WKR
For our hunts we have a 16x20 wall tent, but lately we're getting into situations where a spike camp is a real possibility, especially on our upcoming elk hunt in WY. This year there are 3 of us hunting and everyone has their own spike tent, each around 4-5lbs. So for us to spike you're looking at setting up 3 separate tents and carrying a combined total weight of 12-15lbs. I for one am not a fan of small tents and I use them with great reluctance. I like the idea of full head room and being able to walk in my tent with my boots on, just like with the wall tent.

I've been doing extensive research on floorless shelters to help pass the time until Elk season. I'm very interested in the idea of the Seek Outside 6-man tipi. Ample space for 2-3 people and the whole package is 6.5lbs.

Is this going to be TOO much tent for hiking in?
Is this going to be a pain to pitch due to a lack of level ground and it's large size?
With the Seek Outside sod skirt, do bugs get in much?
Would I be just as happy saving some money and getting a 4-man or a Cimmaron?

Thanks for any input!

Halleywood

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Cimarron. My opinion is if you aren't doing a stove a Cimarron would work for 3 guys and gear. It may be a little tight but is doable. It will definitely work for two, gear, and a stove. If you are doing 3 guys with a stove then I would bring along a small tarp to store gear under outside the Cimarron. Most of the space with a stove is going to be eaten up by sleeping space for 3. I don't have experience with the 6 man but would think it would fit 3 with stove and gear better.

oldgoat

WKR
I'd probably try and talk you into Redcliff for three with a stove! Hot tents rock and I've had zero issues with bugs in September. I hump a Kifaru Sawtooth and stove in for me and my wife and it's worth every ounce! Spread the weight of a shelter, liners, stove and hardware across three guys and you won't want to go back the wall tent!

Fire_9

WKR
I've got a 6 man and it fits 3 people nicely with a stove. I haven't spent too many nights in it in the backcountry but I have enjoyed it. I wouldn't hesitate to get one if you plan on spiking out with 3 three guys and I would most definitely get the 6 man over the 4. Never hurts to have a little extra room. I don't have any experience with it but I'd take a look at the redcliff as well

I will throw out the Redcliff as well. I just got mine and it's exactly what I was wanting. I'm 6'4 and have no problems at all. There is tons of room and I really don't think I'll have any problem with 4 + stove and gear. I bought it specifically because my family are all tall and it seemed to be the very best for what I want. With poles/stakes, bags and Lite outdoors 18" stove it's at 7.5 lb total.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
hunt1up

hunt1up

WKR
Thanks all. One reason I was leaning toward the 6-man over the Redcliff is time. We leave on 9/5 for Wyoming and I can get a factory 2nd 6-man in a few days. A new Redcliff would a fresh build and I'm told it would be tight to have it in time.

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
Redcliffe , sxl stove , 2 liners and you will have the room you need and a hot tent is the greatest . On the outside pitch a DST tarp off the top of the tent and you have a covered porch to set things and cook to allow even more room . As stated above split up between your group probably 3 lbs each .

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
Redcliffe is a little smaller than 6 man . Check out in this section DST setups and ellsworb posted a couple pics of a tipi and a tarp .

AXEL

WKR
I spent a LOT of time in wall tents during many years in forestry all over BC and I detest them. I have set up deep bush camps for 75 persons using them and hate them with a passion.

I am seriously contemplating a Redcliff, SXL stove, full liners and door screens as I think this will suit the terrain here in BC, best and just need to save my pennies to afford it.

My experience over 2+ years with SO gear and service is that they are superb in all respects and always ready to talk on the phone to assist an old geezer with his concerns. I HIGHLY recommend them.

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
Axel , I've got the exact setup its awesome . And you are spot on about SO gear. I live in the NW and use in the backcountry in Wa. , Or. , and Id.

OP
hunt1up

hunt1up

WKR
Thanks again for the input guys.

I called Seek Outside and the Redcliff is a 4-5 week lead time and we leave in 32 days. I ended up with a 6-man factory second and it'll be here next week. I'm pretty excited to have a spacious and light secondary option.

Now, do I need a stove...hmmm.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 6-man. My typical backcountry Mule Deer and Elk hunting party is 3 people. You bet I pack that bad boy in with stove! The larger shelter with stove offers so many options. Plenty of room to sleep 3. . store their gear. . cook on the stove. But here's one that I think most inexperienced hot tenters underappreciate. . .hanging your clothes to dry with the stove blazing. Lets see anyone do that in a Cimarron (which I have several nights in and love). The 6-man wit hstove is a shangri-la for 3 hunters. . and you can split the weight nicely among the party!

OP
hunt1up

hunt1up

WKR
I have a 6-man. My typical backcountry Mule Deer and Elk hunting party is 3 people. You bet I pack that bad boy in with stove! The larger shelter with stove offers so many options. Plenty of room to sleep 3. . store their gear. . cook on the stove. But here's one that I think most inexperienced hot tenters underappreciate. . .hanging your clothes to dry with the stove blazing. Lets see anyone do that in a Cimarron (which I have several nights in and love). The 6-man wit hstove is a shangri-la for 3 hunters. . and you can split the weight nicely among the party!

That's exactly what I was hoping to do. I'm leaning toward the Lite Outdoors 18" since it's a little less money than others and still well reviewed. How long of pipe do you run? I was figuring on the recommended 8'.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
That's exactly what I was hoping to do. I'm leaning toward the Lite Outdoors 18" since it's a little less money than others and still well reviewed. How long of pipe do you run? I was figuring on the recommended 8'.

I do run the 8' chimney and I also use the rain/snow hood on it. Kevin at SO vehemently hates the hood. . And I like to heckle him about it because it certainly makes a difference here in the rainy PacNW.

IMG_2908.jpg

Blazer0290

Lil-Rokslider
I run that exact setup with our 3 man party. 6 man SO and 18" liteoutdoors stove, you will love that setup, perfect for 3 guys and gear! I run mine with a 9' pipe. Haven't had any problems with wind. And haven't had any pin holes in the tent from embers either.

OP
hunt1up

hunt1up

WKR
I run that exact setup with our 3 man party. 6 man SO and 18" liteoutdoors stove, you will love that setup, perfect for 3 guys and gear! I run mine with a 9' pipe. Haven't had any problems with wind. And haven't had any pin holes in the tent from embers either.

Good to hear. I just ordered the Lite Outdoors 18" stove, baffle, spark arrestor, and a 9' pipe. When I called they too said 9' would be dandy.

Now I need to figure out a good excuse for the wife as to why there's going to be a giant tipi and smoke stack in my yard next weekend.

Definitely a great choice. My biggest question on a tent was Redckiff or 6man SO. I just thought the red cliff suited my needs the best. Post pics when it all gets here!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
Will 2 guys and cots fit in the 6man?

Yes. . .though you may prefer to tilt them on their side out of the way during the day. . I prefer the low profile THermaRest Cot or Helinox cots!

If you insist on a high cot. . . you may be more comfortable in a shelter with more vertical walls (like the Seek Outside Courthouse).