Anyone ever use a primaloft puffy suit rather than a bag/quilt?

Whats up guys, im a hammock camper and currently have an EE Revelation Apex topquilt and a prospect underquilt (both synthetic 20 degree). My puffy jacket for when Im static is a Kifaru LPP which I love and I also have a set of primaloft pants from wild things (aka USMC happy suit) that never get any use. Since I drag my parka along anyway, Im thinking about ditching my topquilt and sleeping in just my parka plus primaloft pants on my hammock when it gets cold out. Im pretty positive Id stay warm to around the 20 degree mark but Im wondering if thered be a moisture issue since Im a warm sleeper. Have you guys ever substituted a puffy parka & pants for a bag/quilt before? Im trying to find a temp rating for the wild things pants but no such luck, theyre 4oz primaloft.

bowhunter15

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting idea. I'll be watching to see the replies. The only thing I can think it that if it gets really cold you could wear the parka under the top quilt, but that wouldn't be an option ditching the top quilt.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Upcountry

Lil-Rokslider

PNWTO

Lil-Rokslider
I was issued the Happy Suit w/ the booties and would sleep in it with just a woobie down to freezing. I was wearing longjohns (non-issued), cammies, black bear polartec and the Happy Suit. I sleep incredibly warm and this was an okay solution out of necessity and expediency.

If I were to attempt that again I would still have something like a 50 degree bag/quilt handy.

I tried hanging in my Clark NX-250 wearing my base layer and Sitka Kelvins but could not get comfortable and got a little sticky. Prefer a quilt, feels more like a "bed" and I don't cook in places that generate funk. Just one of my many backyard tests during winter.

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use a puffy and a half bag on really light/fast trips. I would highly recommend trying your combo out at home (backyard or near a vehicle) first. My guess is you're expected comfort temps are more likely optimistic vs pessimistic, but you won't know until you try :)

I use a bivy with my combo and that helps immensely in keeping heat in and drafts out.

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
I slept one night with surplus military pant liners, booties, a heavy fleece pullover, and a HPG Mountain Serape. I was sleeping in a horse trailer on a cot with a heavier bag under me as an incase. I was just testing the concept. I don't know how cold it was that night but it snowed a couple inches. It worked, but I was just ever so slightly cool. I more wanted to see if I could make it over night if I had to, and to that I can now say yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBFowler

WKR
A puffy suit will always be colder then a quilt or bag of the same weight, it just comes down to mitten vs. glove. Something like the Mt Serape is a great compromise because it gives you a garment mitten and a sleeping mitten. If you have to have puffy layers anyway it is a good reason to bring a thinner quilt or bag but if you have puffys that are warm enough to sleep in they will be far to warm to do anything else in.

Try it. I think you are going to find the temps need to be much warmer for you to sleep comfortably then it would be to use the puffy suit while hunting or something like that. In other words, if you truly achieve deep sleep, your heart rate will drop off enough that the comfortable temp rating will rise significantly. It's what makes sleep AWESOME. :D

I slept in one of those old school us army bear suits. I have also done a puffy and a light blanket (.mil poncho liner). I would say each experience was tolerable but not ideal. I would say there is a trade off of weight to sleeping comfort. Definitely test it before you commit to it.

Let us know how it works. One thing I'd be concerned with is condensation on the outside soaking through into early morning - your not going to be screwed like if you were using down but will compromise the comfort and might be hard to dry out for hunting the next morning. Might be a good pairing with a light synthetic overbag to add a few degrees and move the condensation out.