Layering a Quilt vs a Warmer Sleeping Bag

1signguy

WKR
An important point- whatever you get it is very important to have your sleeping bags/quilts stored properly. Don't ever stored them compressed or your 0 degree down sleeping bag will now be a heavy 20-30 degree bag...

OP
R

R_burg

WKR
for one or two nights, a dedicated "warm bag" simplifies things; however on longer trips in the cold I always use a two piece system- a moderate rated down bag with a synthetic (Apex) quilt over the top. Down degrades (loses it's loft) over time with just your body moisture, the synthetic quilt over the top allows this moisture to travel through the down layer, keeping your down dry and high lofting. The syn over quilt handles the moisture much better.

A modular system also gives you some selection flexibility in other environs
Interesting point, I never thought of that. Thanks for the post.
An important point- whatever you get it is very important to have your sleeping bags/quilts stored properly. Don't ever stored them compressed or your 0 degree down sleeping bag will now be a heavy 20-30 degree bag...
Yeah I store all my bags in their large storage bag or hanging up.

WKR
for one or two nights, a dedicated "warm bag" simplifies things; however on longer trips in the cold I always use a two piece system- a moderate rated down bag with a synthetic (Apex) quilt over the top. Down degrades (loses it's loft) over time with just your body moisture, the synthetic quilt over the top allows this moisture to travel through the down layer, keeping your down dry and high lofting. The syn over quilt handles the moisture much better.

A modular system also gives you some selection flexibility in other environs

So you think a synthetic layer outside of the down bag improves the breathability of the down bag vs. having no layer there at all?

AXEL

WKR
No, it is a compromise setup as was the synthetic inner plus U/L FF down bag I used on some alpine hunts in the late '80s-early '90s. This is still heavier than a GOOD down bag and the down can wet out inside a synthetic outer.

Get a WM bag to suit, for the OP, the Antelope Long or Lynx Long plus the Hotsac VBL, use a GOOD pad and keep it out of precipitation and you will be warm, rested and happy. Costs, yeah, but, a lifetime of use and performance.

WKR
No, it is a compromise setup as was the synthetic inner plus U/L FF down bag I used on some alpine hunts in the late '80s-early '90s. This is still heavier than a GOOD down bag and the down can wet out inside a synthetic outer.

Get a WM bag to suit, for the OP, the Antelope Long or Lynx Long plus the Hotsac VBL, use a GOOD pad and keep it out of precipitation and you will be warm, rested and happy. Costs, yeah, but, a lifetime of use and performance.

I agree but believe mtwarden was claiming the synthetic layer helped the down breathe better than without it. Perhaps I misunderstood his post.

Mmcan

WKR
I was going to reply outright with my answer but many people already voiced the same opinion. WM bags are great. Go for the 0 deg bag that fits you, go with the generous cut, pay the price, cry once, and be comfortable sleeping nice and toasty.

My Badger has kept me very comfortable into the very low teens inside my tent. Sometimes I use a liner. Sometimes I wear base layers (FL Merino wool). Sometimes I put my jacket over me body, but that is rarely needed. I would have NO RESERVATIONS about getting the 0 deg WM of your choice.

Also, invest in your ground pad, or bolster the area under your tent with whatever it takes to keep you out of contact with the ground. That makes a HUGE difference in how warm you will sleep.

AXEL

WKR
I have used this combo, down inside and down outside and it does NOT keep down dryer or is it as warm as a good down bag of equal weight.

The down inside can get pretty damp from the moisture your body gives off even at -20 and the synthetic outer tends to hold that in, IME.

I live in BC, by actual measurement, the wettest region of North America, and used to spend months alone in remote wilderness working, living in tents and log cabins and prefab shacks. I have come to use the best down bags for almost everything, but, have a Wild Things Pl half bag, an Exped Pl Wallcreeper and a fine original Integral Designs, NOT Rab, combo in Pl.

They all have their place, but, my two WM and one custom ID winter down sacks are MUCH nicer overall and keep my elderly bod warm. :)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
So you think a synthetic layer outside of the down bag improves the breathability of the down bag vs. having no layer there at all?

at night your body is giving off moisture, some of that moisture is deposited within the down fill- compromising it; with an outer layer of syn the moisture keeps traveling outward to the syn which handles the moisture much better than down- this keeps your down bag drier and thus better loft (better warmth)

this is a common practice in winter camping; like I said for a day or two, you're down shouldn't lose much loft- starting getting into longer trips, down will start to lose it's loft due to the moisture it's absorbing

AXEL

WKR
The movement of moisture is influenced greatly by ambient humidity and wind as well as individual metabolism. The movement of saturated air through down into synthetic insulation can and often does dampen the down substantially which impairs it's insulation value.

I found that in my U/L FF "sheep" bag that the use of an early Thermolite liner bag from Chouinard, worked better in much of BC than using an MEC synthetic overbag on my old Camp 7 down bag. I found, however, in extensive winter camping that my original Marmot Mtn Works, the Colorado made version from the boys who started MMW, not the later models, with it's very light VBL, was far warmer sleeping down to -40 in the Kootenays of BC.

So, I now tend to use a WM Sequoia, for most cold camping and wear very light merino long johns for maximum comfort. Starting to pack for a week in the WKootenays, from end of month to scout for Elk opener on Sept 20.........plus Blue Grouse open on Sept 1. Gonna take my WM Terralite and Hille Niak, helluva combo.

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider

This is what I was starting to think. I was wondering if the REI bag has lost its puffiness and isn't doing its job. Seems like a lot of clothes plus a bag to still be cold.