Base camp / truck tent HELP!!!

I am going back on forth on what to buy.

This would be used mostly for base camp / Truck camping. No packing it in. Max in it will be 4 guys.....maybe a 5th on a VERY rare occasion. I love the idea of a Davis but can one person set that up fairly easily if needed?

I want to be able to use cots and chairs inside, want to be able to stand up and possible 1 person set up.

Below are the 3 choices.

Kifaru or SO 8 man tipi with stove(maybe 12 man?)
Cabelas 12x12 Alaknak with stove
Davis wall tent with stove (size?)

Thoughts? Thanks in Advance!!!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I set up my Davis 14x16 wall tent by myself all the time. They even have a video on their website of a 10 year old girl setting up one of their tents by herself. But if I was going to put 4-5 guys in one and with a stove, I'd get the 16x20.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Last edited:

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I set up my 8x10 wall tent approximately 15 times a season by myself and often in the dark. Can have it setup and fire in stove within about 25 minutes and take down about the same👍

danarnold

WKR
I set up my 8x10 wall tent approximately 15 times a season by myself and often in the dark. Can have it setup and fire in stove within about 25 minutes and take down about the same

I could cook dinner cooked and have firewood gathered up within that timeframe if you need any company…

elkduds

WKR
For wall tents, go one notch bigger than you think you need. Setup is simple: build frame without legs. Put canvas over frame. Lift up each side and install legs. Stake it down. Springbar/Kodiaks are simpler, but 4 cots in a 10x14 would be crowded. W any canvas tent, get it thoroughly dry before storing to avoid mildew, which ruins canvas.

semperfidelis97

Lil-Rokslider
A 12x12 is going to be very crowded with four guys. I would look at the Alaknak 12x20. I have had one for years, and if I am setting a base camp they are hard to beat. The most I have had was six in mine which would have been crowded, but I have the vestibule which adds allot of space if needed.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Whisky

WKR
Davis 14x16. Never had more then 3 in there with cots, but 4 would be no problem, 5 would be tight with a stove and cook table.

OP
Ironmerganser
I am pretty sure I am going to pull the trigger on a Davis. They are having a special on the 14x20 right now.........

A 12x12 is going to be very crowded with four guys. I would look at the Alaknak 12x20. I have had one for years, and if I am setting a base camp they are hard to beat. The most I have had was six in mine which would have been crowded, but I have the vestibule which adds allot of space if needed.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

We have a 12 x 20 alaknak with vestibule to use. Unfortunately can't give you much info as it is still new in the box. We will have two this year but would anticipate 3 or 4 normally. Reasonably priced.

We thought about Wall tents, but my brother's wife(it's his tent) likes the idea of a floor when they use it. Floored wall tents are quite a bit pricier. Plus he had cabelas points and they had a big sale so he got it pretty cheap.

We have a 12x14 Davis, and a 12-man Seek Ouside tipi.

We bought the tipi two years ago and the Davis hasn't been pitched since.

Don't get me wrong, the Davis is a fine tent. But with me having old back injuries/surgery, I find the tipi a hell of a lot easier/faster to pitch, and break down.

If you go the tipi route, I'd suggest a 12 man. That will take 4 military size cots easily. We put two in ours on one side, and have a table, woodpile, and often a dog bed on the opposite side.

The 12x14 Davis. You could slot 4 cots in the back but a little more room would be nice. A 14' wide would be plenty roomy.

Ixh7Vkc.jpg

Obl9SpE.jpg

12-man SO tipi,
k7EE7vl.jpg

LBOFFPc.jpg

Shane

If you want 4 guys with cots and a stove; go larger than the 8 man tipi.
My dad and I had cots and a 4dog stove in the SO 8 man; he immediately turned to me and said "shoulda went with the 12"
Would have been hard pressed to get another cot in there.

Anything smaller than 20' long will bum you out, especially when you are hunkering down in weather. Buying a tent is like buying a gun safe, go bigger than you think you need. Kodiak Canvas is a stellar company with great products that they stand behind. Their grand cabin would be sweet! Especially if you ever camp with other couples and want some extra privacy at night. Or just wanna room for that one guy with gut wrenching BO.

6160_w__71763.1472667310.1280.1280.jpg

6160_Top_View_W__39488.1467465357.1280.1280.jpg

[video=youtube;QS0cPB6IVq4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS0cPB6IVq4[/video]

I am gonna check out the Davis Tents too...but think the KC might prove more versatile for me.

Last edited:
OP
Ironmerganser
Well...although I stated above I was going to go with a Davis wall tent....the more I think about it, the more I think a 12 man tipi will work much better......I will spend a little more money then a wall tent, but at least I know if we wanted, we could split this up between guys and pack in a little ways with it if needed.

I feel like a girl trying to figure out what to wear on a date I am changing my mind so much!!!

Tsnider

WKR
for truck camping i really like my roof top tent with the annex that hangs down. i can stand up inside in the annex, the floor zips off if i want to do floorless. the top has a mattress built in. mounts to the truck or roof rack and you fold all your bedding and stuff up inside. sets up in less than 10 minutes. not ideal for everyone im sure but i absolutely love camping in mine.

e065d6e9321d71721e41434cb6de37d7.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Ironmerganser
RTT's are awesome!! I have the ARB awning and tent room on my truck already. It works well if I am by myself or with one other person.
The only thing I don't like is that if I am in an area where we can drive to a new spot to glass or when upland hunting, I have to tear it all down to drive. Would like something that is stand alone from the truck.

1signguy

WKR
The Davis tents are stellar from a quality standpoint. Absolutely love mine. If I was car camping I would absolutely prefer a Davis to a teepee or other non-canvas style option.