Cimarron - bug bivy, nest or nothing for fall camping

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Those with a Cimarron or similar setup, for late summer/fall trips do you prefer a bivey, nest or just a ground tarp? This will be my first fall in a floorless shelter and trying to figure out which way I want to go. I have a stove, so if if I understand this right, I'd be limited to one 2 person nest, which would be fine with the wife, but probably not with another hunting partner.

I'm going to try and run a quilt and air mattress for sleeping, so a bivey or nest would be nice to keep everything together. Seems that the bivy would obviously be better for using with multiple people in the Cimarron? I'd want lots of ventilation, so I'm thinking something like TitaniumGoats bug bivy Appreciate any suggestions.

DDrifter

FNG
I just bought a Cimarron a couple weeks ago and was in the same position as you. My wife is never along and a nest is too much weight so I opted out of that. A ground cover is going to be about the same weight as a bivy so I decided to go with a bivy. The problem is all the light weight bivy manufactures are all 4 weeks plus out for getting one delivered. I ended up going with the Recon from Enlightened Equipment, there is a good amount of netting for ventilation and good coverage for waterproofness if wanting to use under a tarp.
What brand and size stove did you go with? I went with the SO medium but I'm wondering if I should have went with the large.

oldgoat

WKR
Hunted two seasons with mine now in September in Colorado, no concerns from bugs, do use a ground tarp, that's a must, also use a stove so I don't really feel like a bivy or liner is a must but liner could be beneficial!

colonel00

WKR
For me, if I'm needing a stove, I probably don't need a nest as it's cold enough out to not need a nest. I don't really like sleeping in a bivy but I still own two of them. Where a bivy is nice is you can use it to contain your stuff when away and keep any bugs out during the day when it's warm. Also, while I probably wouldn't ever fully zip up my bivy, I might pull the net portion over my head if there were bugs around. The rest of my body is probably covered anyway.

This photo probably won't show since it's currently on Photobucket but it shows the Cimarron with both a nest and a bivy on a ground sheet.

IMGP5836_zpslgiz1ila.jpg

This one should show the same setup but it isn't quite as good.

JZeAA6YkG7eWZTH7LyZzjwkgZ0zIXqCVvh4IfQLr6wxu7RvF7Shk7YgnSewY_OBCTRSOwn9UZKypo7TjgSXasB7HixlMsHcrt6BnG9hZ8s88YLi0AJQG9AMG86H31mc8AsvWSjTZhP5oxn9MW-_jVORULCgDteJHHW8sgFLlQQiw5AVHUF7-9RaEH08L70U4X2PHb6aW9Px8WTyX-SJuoHTTrVPchAJlJZEwOJquzI0g4rFH-rVEbasqS9oGXJyEgU1L62J0SmDnghe8Xc2AmqddYB9QUZa55IJlOMziTZCvULNdFxg0LOBx-QpOQr12O_cXKvoA0YfxTBbRlo5bFzFHSCGS2C7WW11PJAlg7zV-A5guWcpFfQjU7F1ALFwxerLlGpjlBxridBB76tW0YAF9Q0DvHpKxm8VnZ7ZJIn1YXaVfKq0B50cFlQ93ivtRAIve7s1bKHnv5U4WH31Mk3oXDKAX_wY9PA8jeL4prSU_TrZPrLlgBvQBfXJwnhxJ9-u92waIvRvyJtVKjKteM2iqO5Hgd8tJ2I1kPDUFQpalkMI6r_EAUJmiso24okSp1kyX7mnsir57moj0FW5lzrFCb3raatuKp-yoLwXxQmxMRi0FTK_9V8iRVlPEQnkSQop1w4c1a3-gfJKG9rQ8XVgP0vXQ8YLksP77Xg_H7Y_ffaM=w2329-h1310-no

One other point to add. If I was setup for hunting with another guy, I'd actually run the sleep setups the other direction so they were under each door. Depends on the weather I guess but whatever works.

svivian

WKR
I opted for the screen doors on my cimmaron and just use a tyvex ground sheet. I used it all summer for fishing trips on the grand Mesa which is mosquito infested and never had any issues.

OP
G

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. Probably just start with a tarp. Early season archery the bugs can still be an issue in some places, so I might end up with a bivy.
What brand and size stove did you go with? I went with the SO medium but I'm wondering if I should have went with the large.

I have an 18" Lite Outdoors stove. Have only fired it up a couple times, last being in Feb. while it was 6 degrees outside and we ended up having to vent the door due to it being too warm.

DDrifter

FNG
I can never find a flat spot to pitch a tent so I went with a bivy to keep my pad under me otherwise the pad would end up outside the tent by morning.

Definitely go with screen doors. The idea of a bug bivy is nice but why have a roomy shelter like the Cim, and then have to crawl in to a coffin? Screen doors will let you cook and sit around inside the tent if the swarming hoards are out, can't do that with a nest or bivy.

colonel00

WKR
Definitely go with screen doors. The idea of a bug bivy is nice but why have a roomy shelter like the Cim, and then have to crawl in to a coffin? Screen doors will let you cook and sit around inside the tent if the swarming hoards are out, can't do that with a nest or bivy.

How are screen doors different from just the regular doors aside from if you are out when it's hot and you need a ton of ventilation? I guess I don't see a difference regarding the bugs.

You get more ventilation than with solids for sure.
I just don't see the point of a tent AND a bivy, might as well just go with a bug bivy and smaller tarp to set up incase of rain if ventilation is the main concern?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
Hmm, now I'm confused. I thought you were saying the screen doors were there for ventilation more than anything but then you suggest a smaller tarp instead for ventilation.

Anyway, the point is in any shelter, floorless single wall or even a "normal" tent, you will get bugs in any time you open the door. It doesn't matter if the door is mesh or solid. If it's really hot out, a mesh door will definitely be nice for a ton of ventilation. However, I don't see that it reduces the amount of bugs in the tent because you still have to open the screen doors just as much as you'd open the solid doors.

Side point, bugs are a curious item, most of the time when I've had bugs in a shelter, they tend to hover around the top as they are apparently confused about how they can't get out or something.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I always use a Bivy for the reason Colonel00 mentioned to keep the bugs and everything contained. I have a katabotonic Bivy that is super breathable and lightweight 10 ounces total. It Keeps my pad and quilt all together and also helps helps keep drafts away when its chilly out.
TA2OJ6X.jpg

Hunted two seasons with mine now in September in Colorado, no concerns from bugs, do use a ground tarp, that's a must, also use a stove so I don't really feel like a bivy or liner is a must but liner could be beneficial!

What he said, but I would be using a bivy or nest if bugs could be an issue. The weight penalty is worth the comfort.