Hammock Question

mcmurder77

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, Here we go.
I have read through some of the threads on here and feel like I have a pretty decent idea of what to expect. That being said I have some gear questions.
For this year buying an under quilt and top quilt are out of the question for me, also I don't want to drop a bunch of coin on a system and decide I don't like it after using it in the field. The hammock I got in my Sportsmans box, it's a Yukon outfitters double hammock. I have a sleeping pad already and I was hoping if I get a decent bag it should keep me fairly warm. I also have a old army wool blanket(huge weight penalty) that I could use if need be. I'm going to be overnighting in NW Oregon archery season. So I'll expect lows into the 50's at night maybe a couple of night in the 40's.
So should I expect to stay decently warm with a 15 or 20 degree bag and a pad underneath? I'd like to keep my suspended as versatile as possible and use my gear for both hammock and tent camping.
Also has anyone ever used one of these?
Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

Thanks,
David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
With a 15° bag and a pad you should be fine at those temperatures. Pads are more difficult to keep in place in a hammock but they will work. I suggest sleeping with your pad inside your sleeping bag to help control it.

We are always hesitant to spend alot of money on a good setup before we know if we like it but if you spend the money and don't like it you can always resale quality gear. It's alot tougher to resale low quality gear. Many manufactures are making budget quilts now that weigh a couple ounces more but save you 100's off standard quilt pricing. Arrowhead-equipment.com also sales quality synthetic quilts for reasonable prices. I'd go with something like that before the Cabela's setup you posted.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I just spent last week sleeping in my hammock with temps down to the 40's. I slept in a 0* bag and had no issues. You could also use your later system to stay warm since you're already carrying them.

Bughalli

WKR
Good advice above. I would test your setup if you can. I only slept in a hammock once (5 days). I didn't like it. Just didn't sleep well and in my experience they run much colder than simply being on the ground.

If you don't have the proper gear, you are going to run colder.

Get away from the mass produced hammocks and buy from a cottage type vendor. For that Grand Trunk hammock, you can buy a Dutchware 11' hammock. It cost $45 instead of $90. That savings leaves you better than halfway to a Arrowhead underquilt. Plus, his hammocks, are much better because it's being made by a guy that knows hammocks. Cottage vendors offer more length in their hammocks for a reason. Which creates a bunch more comfort. It doesn't constrict your diagonal lay, doesn't bend you like a banana, and cradles you. To short and all this goes away and you sleep less comfortable. Length, not width is far more important for comfort in a hammock. If you don't take anything more from this thread, take this advice and put it in the bank.

Nothing is more misunderstood and mis-stated than hammocks. People go about it half cocked and then say they couldn't make them work. Well, if you buy a short hammock and lay confined and bent up, they aren't going to work well. You have to invest a little computer time and learn from those that do it right. There are lots on internet info on how to do it correctly. And, like stated above, arrowhead makes a very affordable under quilt. While a pad will work, it offers no where near the comfort an underquilt does. Do what you gotta do on that one. But, you can build one for $70 too. So, you gotta decide what you want. A pad will keep you warm though.

Just remember to buy LONG, get the sag right allowing you to sleep flat, and buy a good 11" or 11.5" hammock minimum. Good luck and God Bless

Last edited:

ChrisS

WKR
If you do use a pad, an insulated ones works pretty well. I used a klymit insulated static v (which can be had for ~$50) last year down to mid-20s without much issue. Two things with pads that help: 1) add a couple lines of silicon (silnet, permatex, etc) to the bottom to keep them from sliding around, 2) don't blow it up the whole way - leave it a little floppy.

I just got an HG burrow econ and that thing is awesome.

OP
M

mcmurder77

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the replies so far. The pad I have is the z-lite from thermarest. So far (backyard use only) the pad seems to be working out pretty well. I just got a sierra designs Zissou bag for 50%off. I'm thinking that with the pad should keep me pretty comfy for up here. I'm only
Going to be doing 1-2 night stays and am really thinking about adding a tarp to me set up. I may even for just this year use a regular cheap tarp that I already have. I'm not going back real far, and could probably sacrifice some weight and upgrade slowly as time goes on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got my hammock set up mostly from Warbonnet but I've hunted their sale rack for a couple of months to put it together. My under quilt was 10% off but I can't figure out what was wrong with it. I just got a tarp for 25% off that is supposed to have a patched hole in it. When it's all said and done I'll have about $350 into my set up not including the top quilt and it should be solid down close to freezing since everything is rated to the 20s.

Gorp2007

WKR
For hammock camping in the winter time, I forego my usual sleeping pad because I usually roll/slide/shift off of it in the night. Instead, I bought a $7 blue foam pad from Walmart and cut it to fit INSIDE my sleeping bag. That way no matter which way I turn I still have the insulating pad underneath me. It also helps limit compression of your insulation, which will help keep you warmer. I pair the cut down Walmart pad with a 20-degree Kelty bag and a Sea to Summit sleeping bag liner (to avoid sleeping directly on foam) and it's kept me warm down to the low 30s at night.

Okieguy

FNG
Couple things that are reasonable lightweight and cheap.
1. Use a Sun Visor for ur vehicle to double up your pad. I've never done this but seen a few guys rock it.

2. Turn your puffy coat sleeves inside out and zip it around the bottom of your hammock like a cocoon. Keeping your feet warm will help.

Your tarp will also be a big factor in your warmth. If it stakes reasonably low to cut any wind it will help a lot.