Review Safir 9 Tentipi

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Roksliders
you should have seen the welcome post to Mansfield Outdoors here and their banner on the Sleep System forum. They provided me with a demo tent to try and give feedback.

This is the Safir 9 man. Way bigger than what I need but agreed to test it as it would make a sweet tent for a few guys hunting in cold weather and even more in milder weather. I'll be testing it in stages, tent first, then the firebox (this tent handles an open fire with no stove!

Here's my video of my first set up, no instructions, just laid it out and set it up. I got it a little straighter the next morning but was pretty happy with the ease of set up and the massive amount of room. Good tent for road or horse camps or multi-backpackers sharing a load.

[video=youtube_share;j7qbL9pXAzs]

Last edited:

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I've been looking forward to this review Robby. Looks sweet! Can't wait to see a video with a fire in the middle of the tent.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Can't wait to see more on it. That thing looks like you could live in it for extended periods. 30lbs for that big of a shelter is insane. My Kodiak 10x10 is 70 lbs and that looks to have twice the usable space. Awesome setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Can't wait to see more on it. That thing looks like you could live in it for extended periods. 30lbs for that big of a shelter is insane. My Kodiak 10x10 is 70 lbs and that looks to have twice the usable space. Awesome setup.

Yeah James by backpacking standards it's a heavy, but if you're used to normal canvas these things are a bargain in weight savings.

Mansfield Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
It's coming and it will shock you

Thanks Robby,

Pretty fast setup for an absolute rook with our gear! And I must say, you've got me eagerly anticipating the video with the open fire inside too! Hope you like it, and please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

Mansfield Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Hello Justin,

I noticed you're in Buckley WA, we're up on Whidbey Island and I'd be happy to arrange a time to show you everything in person sometime if you'd like. Looks like we'll be hunting up near the PCT east of Packwood for archery elk in Sept., maybe we could arrange something around then as well since it's closer to you. Thanks for the interest in our products!

wabowman

Lil-Rokslider
Wow! Really liking this. My 14x16 with full frame has got to be 140# and takes up half the truck bed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Wow! Really liking this. My 14x16 with full frame has got to be 140# and takes up half the truck bed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Ya, this lightweight canvas beats traditional handily in the weight category

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Can you really build a fire in a floorless? The long awaited video is here....
[video=youtube_share;W_TmWkLsq9Q]

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all, here is my cold weather review on the Safir 9
[video=youtube_share;kGMltcAj7qs]

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Would love to see a pros/cons comparison of this and your Seek Outside 8 man Robby!

Hi,
it's a little hard to compare as the tents are really for different purposes with some crossover.

-The Safir 9 is too heavy for backpacking, where the SO 8 could be split between two guys or more.
-Safir is way better at reducing condensation. SO, like all sil-nylon, will condense. I added a half-liner and it works, but does add bulk and reduces living space (a bit)
-Safir 9 is bigger than the SO 8 (obviously) but seems to be bigger than just by the 1 man rating difference.
-Safir is best suited for road camps/horse camps and at least has the option of going stove-less with an open fire. As I say in the cold weather video, I've had mixed results with the open fire. Dry wood seemed to allow the Safir to ventilate, but in Colorado with the wet wood, it didn't ventilate as well, so I'd probably still run a woodburner in the backcountry or propane in the front country.

Ultimately, the Safir really competes with traditional wall tents as it's gonna weigh about half, and is easier to set up. with the open fire option, you could skip the stove for September/early October hunts and still have a heat option if needed, where traditional wall tents, you'd have to gamble on bringing a stove or not.

Hope that helps.

That tipi is awesome and it is exactly what Im looking for and I would buy one but not for $2600!
If it was around $1200 I would.

Hiwallman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the great reviews. I’m debating on getting the safir 9 tent. Really like the idea of the open fire.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the great reviews. I’m debating on getting the safir 9 tent. Really like the idea of the open fire.

Give Tom at Mansfield a call and tell him how you hunt, where, & conditions. Although I just used the fire twice, it was a nice option. They have other models that can take open fire too.

Hiwallman

Lil-Rokslider
I will have to call Tom and pick his brain. I am not ruling out the Safire 15 / Zirkonflex 15 either. Might go big with this one. I had the SO 6man, sold it for the SO 8 man........so with the possibility of an open fire at times the bigger Tipi might be a better choice.

Robby,
Loved the videos. Thanks for takeing the time to put them together.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I will have to call Tom and pick his brain. I am not ruling out the Safire 15 / Zirkonflex 15 either. Might go big with this one. I had the SO 6man, sold it for the SO 8 man........so with the possibility of an open fire at times the bigger Tipi might be a better choice.

Robby,
Loved the videos. Thanks for takeing the time to put them together.

You’re welcome and let us know what you decide