Hilleberg into the trash....MSR comes off the bench!

BRWNBR

WKR
After giving my hilly enan several chances, even altering the tent for better ventilation,
I'm tired of waking up wet. Sitting up and getting wet, resetting the tent up wet. It's just always wet. Rain, no rain. Just condensation like a nightmare.
I got my MSR hubba nx 1 today. Set it up in the house. Crap. That's a huge 1 man tent and still right at 3lbs! Anxious to hit the field with it. Next sheep hunt is Wednesday then Three Kodiak goat hunts in October. Can't be any worse than that hilleberg.

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
It's got one hole in the door mesh from trying to heat the tent to dry it Out. If you could swing by and pick it up it's yours.

Hilly wouldn't take it back. They told me they usually keep
A towel
To dry the tent out and a trash bag to cover their sleeping bags!!!

I would take it in a heartbeat if I were reasonably close. I have no doubts someone will be happy to take the trash off your hands.

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
I'm that's your very first post? For a free tent?! Lol nice. I love outside of wasilla

colonel00

WKR
I'll be in Wasilla on Sunday. Actually just picked up a Akto and I'm eager to give it a try. It does seem kinda obvious from the design that it would have condensation issues though. Looking up the Enan, I can't initially see a difference from the Akto. Not sure what Dan's needs are but I'd love to check it out and then arrange to get it back to Dan if he truly wanted it.

@Dan - I have to pick up my Akto from Mr. Steve who grabbed it for me. I'm sure we could figure something out if you'd let me give it a test drive

Last edited:

Daniel_M

WKR
I'll be in Wasilla on Sunday. Actually just picked up a Akto and I'm eager to give it a try. It does seem kinda obvious from the design that it would have condensation issues though. Looking up the Enan, I can't initially see a difference from the Akto. Not sure what Dan's needs are but I'd love to check it out and then arrange to get it back to Dan if he truly wanted it.

@Dan - I have to pick up my Akto from Mr. Steve who grabbed it for me. I'm sure we could figure something out if you'd let me give it a test drive

Nah we're good. Go ahead man. I already have a 4 season 2 man and have no need for a solo style tent. Plus I'm too tall, I'd feel claustrophobic. I prefer to keep the moisture OUT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
Shot BRWNBR a PM to see if we could figure something out.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Brwnbr, I'm with you on condensation....i hate it. I've been in some of those Cabelas tents in strong wind and it felt like it was raining INSIDE the tent.

I just got done sewing up a tipi with a lot of ventilation....I will let you know if it works after 2 weeks on the peninsula.

Gumbo

WKR
Crazy...I haven't used my Akto a lot at all but I've never had any condensation, although SW MT is pretty dry. I really like the tent so far, way better than my sierra designs light year that I ran for 15 years. I'm sure condensation can be a issue depending on conditions though.

Dobermann

WKR
I used to get such bad condensation in my Akto I switched to another tent. Sad, because it was such a great design, and so light for its strength. IIRC, the condensation wasn't always present, but the conditions in which it didn't happen weren't consistent enough for me to work out when was the best time to use it. Should pull it out and test it again ...

13bonatter69

Lil-Rokslider
I have wanted a Hilleberg for four to five years now, but the condensation issue has always kept me from pulling the trigger. I wish I could just be happy with my Big Agnes tents and quit wanting a dang Hilleberg. I mean my tents have NEVER let me down, but for some reason every year I get the dang itch to try a Hilly........lol

Dang, I've kept an Akto around for several years specifically because it's been such a good performer in conditions that wet-out a lot of other, generally lighter tents. I'll use a tarp or Tarptent model the first half of September and then switch to the Akto for those cold nights at timberline in Colorado. No problems.

The OP mentioned Kodiak though, and I can see a lot of smaller tents having condensation issues in Alaska or coastal mountains.