Hilleberg into the trash....MSR comes off the bench!

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
The msr hubba nx was amazing compared to the enan on the last sheep hunt. Same conditions, rainy wet no wind wind sunny. Was so nice to not have screens full of water and a tent floor that stayed dry! Hubba nx is also much bigger and weighs the same. Decent winds and it didn't show any signs of major weakness.

I believe the akto has a roof vent? The enan does not. Would probably be a game changer.

AlaskaEd

WKR
Count me as another happy Hubba NX user. 7-day sheep hunt with a lot of time spent in the tent. Bone dry inside.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
The msr hubba nx was amazing compared to the enan on the last sheep hunt. Same conditions, rainy wet no wind wind sunny. Was so nice to not have screens full of water and a tent floor that stayed dry! Hubba nx is also much bigger and weighs the same. Decent winds and it didn't show any signs of major weakness.

I believe the akto has a roof vent? The enan does not. Would probably be a game changer.

I've been considering the Hubba Hubba Nx (2 man version) for backpack hunts with my kiddo. Appreciate the info. Did you run it stock, or did you make any adjustments? (stakes, lines, etc.) ??

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
I added one tie out line to the lower guy out loop opposit the door side. The loop is there but no string. I put a foot of para cord on it.

Grumman

WKR
The Gear Shed they sell for the Hubba Hubba NX is pretty sweet. I've used it to store the pack in and it makes a good place for the dog to sleep when he tags along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
After two hillebergs that both had bad condensation issues I have sold them. I used a Kuiu stormstar 2p last year and really liked the design and layout. But it was too small for our family of 3. So I now have a MSR Elixir and it's awesome. I am sure it's not quite hilleberg stout but the pope design is pretty stout and has done great in some pretty good winds already. I looked at the Hubba but it's pole design didn't looks as stout.

Granted at 6 pounds it's not super light but neither were my Hillebergs and this one deals with condensation MUCH better at 1/3 the price ;)

ljalberta

WKR
I have a Hubba Hubba the wife and I use when backpacking. Count me as a big fan as well. I've been loving the floorless route for hunting this season, but I really love the Hubba series for a 3 season tent. Great air circulation, easy setup, and I've found it to be quite a spacious feeling design. The only issue I've had has been the PU coating initially has a pretty strong odour, however it's been slowly fading with use. I'm not sure if that's a common issue anyone else has run into?

schmalzy

WKR

BRWNBR,

4 years later are You still using the NX or did you find something that suits your needs better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vandy321

WKR
Cold nights in a double wall, even in dry climate are tough to avoid condensation, I'd say impossible actually. My soulo vents pretty well, but I still put my arcteryx shell over the feet of my bag, just in case and I wipe it down before I start getting dressed.

I'd be willing to bet you'll have the same issue with tye MSR as soon as you get it out onto some wet ground in cooler weather.

Shocking to see this about hilleberg. Never had one but everyone always talks like they’re the best thing since…….? I can vouch for the hubba hubba and you won’t have any condensation problems

They did mention that last year (and based on their product cycles it makes sense) but that ol' covid supply chain fubar might not make it happen.

*zap*

WKR
I have an elixer 1. Not lightweight but nevertheless a great tent for one person. I just wish it was not red....